Skip to main content
Topic: Exhibition Match: Northern Blues vs U18's (Read 10058 times) previous topic - next topic

Exhibition Match: Northern Blues vs U18's

This weekend, around 1600, our VFL team is going to be challenged by the U18 All Stars. This has been a good game in the past for picking out good kids to recruit, not to mention the chance for a few of our guys to find some form.
This is the curtain raiser for our game against the Suns at Etihad.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Exhibition Match: Northern Blues vs U18's

Reply #1
This weekend, around 1600, our VFL team is going to be challenged by the U18 All Stars. This has been a good game in the past for picking out good kids to recruit, not to mention the chance for a few of our guys to find some form.
This is the curtain raiser for our game against the Suns at Etihad.

...and a good reason for yours truly to arrive early! Looking forward to it...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #2
The team for this match has not been released as such. Probably because it is an exhibition match. I am sure that the Northern Blues website will put the team up. Saturday morning....?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
The team for this match has not been released as such. Probably because it is an exhibition match. I am sure that the Northern Blues website will put the team up. Saturday morning....?

From the NBs website: The Northern Blues will head to Etihad Stadium this Saturday in a curtain raiser for the Carlton-Gold Coast clash.

The Blues will take on the AFL National Academy, a team made up of the best under-18 players in the country.

It will allow Bluebaggers to be able to see their entire available list in action, with the VFL Blues to take to the field prior to Carlton attempting to make it two wins in a row.

Reckon we'll field our best possible side. Le Bois and the emergency, hopefully, will be the only CFC listed blokes missing. (Le Bois - quad).
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #4
From the NBs website: The Northern Blues will head to Etihad Stadium this Saturday in a curtain raiser for the Carlton-Gold Coast clash.

The Blues will take on the AFL National Academy, a team made up of the best under-18 players in the country.

It will allow Bluebaggers to be able to see their entire available list in action, with the VFL Blues to take to the field prior to Carlton attempting to make it two wins in a row.

Reckon we'll field our best possible side. Le Bois and the emergency, hopefully, will be the only CFC listed blokes missing. (Le Bois - quad).
Just on LeBois, is he a speculative pick or does he have the goods?
Currently SOS has a pretty good hit miss ratio. So am excited to see what else he will bring to the table.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #5
Just on LeBois, is a speculative pick or does he have the goods?
Currently SOS has a pretty good hit miss ratio. So am excited to see what else he will bring to the table.

Gar Buckenara had the kid going top 25 in the main draft if that says anything!

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/carlton/video-carlton-rookie-kym-lebois-kicks-incredible-snap-goal-with-first-kick-in-afl-preseason-game/news-story/fa7aa2c99215f008892ee4f92937319f
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #6
I have tried to merge the 2 threads on this game, but that hasn't worked so far. Maybe someone higher up the food chain can manage that a little later.

This was posted yesterday on the NB's website. The numbers do not match those in the footy record, which caused me considerable confusion.

In the record        On the team sheet  No
Kane Keppel         Sam Kerridge         25
Cameron Barrett   Marcus Stavrou      21
Jed Lamb              Billy Smedts          51

I couldn't get a record until half time, as they were not selling them. I thought 25 was Kerridge, but .... He had 40 possessions and played very well.
Smedts was less outstanding, but did well and took a couple of very nice marks.
Stavrou impressed me a lot. He looks to have real talent.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
Unlike all of the previous games of this series, as we have played the AIS U18's for 3 years now and a couple of others VFL teams have as well, this game was a blow out. Our boys used their more mature bodies and superior structures to really dominate the game. The U18 boys had little chance to shine, except for the 1st quarter. There were good signs for us.

Carlton players:
Dylan Buckley: Dylan played pretty well and he had the small forwards under control. His run and dash was good, but he doesn't do enough for my tastes. He appreciated the relative lack of pressure and didn't panic at all.
Liam Jones: Liam played in defence for the whole game and did pretty well. He was not beaten in a marking contest. He would get a lot of confidence out of that effort.
Andrew Philips: Looked a bit rusty, but started taking some marks later in the game and did well in the centre bounce.
Harry McKay: There were times when it looked like Harry would dominate, as the U18's struggled to handle him. He took a couple of excellent contested marks, but his kicking....
I would like to see a greater level of determination from Harry.
Sam Kerridge: Kerridge totally dominated. With that extra moment or 2, he made few mistakes and really got the ball away from the centre. He had 40 possessions and he wasted very few of them.
Alex Silvagni: What Kerridge did in the midfield, Silvagni did in defence. He was a general down there and he knew when to leave his man and when not too. Intercept marks, good disposal, good body work, hard running: he showed the things that could well get him senior football this year.
Paddy Kerr: did some nice things but payed mainly up the field. Doesn't do enough at this point, but he does have a nice pair of hands and a dangerous boot.
Jesse Glass-McCasker: Pretty quiet in defence, but did his job. Went forward after half time and looked much better. he got into the game, made some good decisions, took a couple of lovely marks and kicked straight. Far more in the play in the forward line. He went off late in the game with a minor injury.
Gussy Sheehan: Unfortunately he went off in the last quarter with what looked to be a minor quad injury. It was a pity, because he showed heaps in defence with some great decision making and that excellent left foot. He also played on the wing and was very good.
Kristian Jaksch: OK in he forward line in the first half, but he went back into defence and that got him into the game. He kicked 2 50+ metre goals while played in defence and was more in the play.
Dennis Armfield: spent a lot of time on the bench, coming on after half time. A real leader at this level, but he wasn't needed and only went out to run off the cobwebs.
Billie Smedts: Very solid and powerful in the air. Very solid. Should be happy with his game.
Liam Sumner: Didn't impress a lot, he appeared to have a job, but he didn't get a lot of the ball.
Andrew Gallucci: he had a couple of great patches, but he also spent a fair time on the bench. He kicked 3 goals in the 1st quarter and another in the last. I am not sold on him yet, but if he keeps kicking goals he'll get a game.
David Cuningham: Apart from a couple of dodgy kicks at goal, Cunners had a good game. He got a number of centre clearances and looked dangerous each time the ball went near him. Not so impressive on the negative side yet. 25 possessions and the only dodgy ones where his attempts at scoring.
Blaine Boekhorst: very disappointing. Not a lot of the ball and just didn't appear to have the desire.
Cameron Polson: 28 possessions including some nice centre clearances. Kicked a goal from beyond 50. I didn't see much defensive about his play, but he did enough to suggest he could get a game soon.
Matt Korchek: Did most of the ruck work n the first half and did quite well. I don't think he will make it: he offers very little apart from his tap work. But he has improved.
I think it also showed that there does NOT look to be the champion ruckman in this cohort. That is a big negative for us.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
Have to qualify all positive statements by reminding oneself that they were playing against 17 year old kids - with the exception of our own teenagers who were opposed by talented players with similar physiques. Good commentary Crash but I thought I would add some of my own.

Dylan Buckley: Dylan played pretty well and he had the small forwards under control. His run and dash was good, but he doesn't do enough for my tastes. He appreciated the relative lack of pressure and didn't panic at all. Agreed
Liam Jones: Liam played in defence for the whole game and did pretty well. He was not beaten in a marking contest. He would get a lot of confidence out of that effort. Jones has all of the attributes to be a good defender but rarely plays there and it might be too late in the day to make the change - should have been tried there more often. Unlike Jaksch, he can adjust to the ball in flight and has the closing speed and leap to spoil many marking contests. Also has the speed and body work to assist players trying to run the ball out of defence.
Andrew Philips: Looked a bit rusty, but started taking some marks later in the game and did well in the centre bounce. Agreed but against limited opposition
Harry McKay: There were times when it looked like Harry would dominate, as the U18's struggled to handle him. He took a couple of excellent contested marks, but his kicking....
I would like to see a greater level of determination from Harry. Should have imposed himself and didn't
Sam Kerridge: Kerridge totally dominated. With that extra moment or 2, he made few mistakes and really got the ball away from the centre. He had 40 possessions and he wasted very few of them.
Alex Silvagni: What Kerridge did in the midfield, Silvagni did in defence. He was a general down there and he knew when to leave his man and when not too. Intercept marks, good disposal, good body work, hard running: he showed the things that could well get him senior football this year.
Paddy Kerr: did some nice things but payed mainly up the field. Doesn't do enough at this point Agreed, but he does have a nice pair of hands and a dangerous boot.
Jesse Glass-McCasker: Pretty quiet in defence, but did his job. Went forward after half time and looked much better. he got into the game, made some good decisions, took a couple of lovely marks and kicked straight. Far more in the play in the forward line. He went off late in the game with a minor injury. Showed more as a lead up forward than I have seen from him as a defender
Gussy Sheehan: Unfortunately he went off in the last quarter with what looked to be a minor quad injury. It was a pity, because he showed heaps in defence with some great decision making and that excellent left foot. He also played on the wing and was very good. Agreed
Kristian Jaksch: OK in he forward line in the first half, but he went back into defence and that got him into the game. He kicked 2 50+ metre goals while played in defence and was more in the play. Same issues as before - Matthew Watson Mark II. Has decent hands and can kick goals from outside 50 but struggles to get any contested marks. He relies on receiving good passes when he leads in a straight line, when he is unopposed (as he was for the 2 goals yesterday) and getting free kicks when an opponent falls over him. He will continue to kick a few goals per game in the VFL but not much more unless the coaches identify and address his limitations - they couldn't do it for Watson and show no signs of doing so for JK.
Dennis Armfield: spent a lot of time on the bench, coming on after half time. A real leader at this level, but he wasn't needed and only went out to run off the cobwebs.
Billie Smedts: Very solid and powerful in the air. Very solid. Should be happy with his game. Agreed but needs to use the ball better
Liam Sumner: Didn't impress a lot, he appeared to have a job, but he didn't get a lot of the ball. spent a lot of time on the pine
Andrew Gallucci: he had a couple of great patches, but he also spent a fair time on the bench. He kicked 3 goals in the 1st quarter and another in the last. I am not sold on him yet, but if he keeps kicking goals he'll get a game. has speed, quickness and goal sense but Zac Fisher has probably deposited him further down the pecking order
David Cuningham: Apart from a couple of dodgy kicks at goal, Cunners had a good game. He got a number of centre clearances and looked dangerous each time the ball went near him. Not so impressive on the negative side yet. 25 possessions and the only dodgy ones where his attempts at scoring. Agreed
Blaine Boekhorst: very disappointing. Not a lot of the ball and just didn't appear to have the desire. This seems to be a kind assessment
Cameron Polson: 28 possessions including some nice centre clearances. Kicked a goal from beyond 50. I didn't see much defensive about his play, but he did enough to suggest he could get a game soon.
Matt Korchek: Did most of the ruck work n the first half and did quite well. I don't think he will make it: he offers very little apart from his tap work. But he has improved. Agreed - unfortunately

Good move by the coaches to play Jones and Jaksch in defence in order to give the young forwards (plus JGM) an opportunity to paly against similar strength defenders  - unfortunately, only JGM seemed to take advantage of the opportunity.

Reply #9
Of the VFL listed players:

Tom Wilson: Tom got 26 possessions, but he didn't stand out like he can. Good and strong inside.
Sam Russell: OK, but didn't stand out at all.
Glenn Strachan: Very solid. A very strong game. 23 possessions.
Cam O'Shea: Not outstanding, but very solid in defence.
Dyson Stevens: Didn't get a lot of game time, but did well enough.
Marcus Stavrou: Easily the best of the VFL guys. He looked very good and took a couple of very good marks. Not as much of the ball as last week, but he stood out with his run and good decision making.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
Have to qualify all positive statements by reminding oneself that they were playing against 17 year old kids - with the exception of our own teenagers who were opposed by talented players with similar physiques. Good commentary Crash but I thought I would add some of my own.
Fair enough. I always like to hear your opinions.
By the way we played, it appeared that we were really stung by last week's relatively ordinary performance. The coach obviously challenged the lads and they responded. I like that, as all previous games in this format have been close.

Good move by the coaches to play Jones and Jaksch in defence in order to give the young forwards (plus JGM) an opportunity to paly against similar strength defenders  - unfortunately, only JGM seemed to take advantage of the opportunity.
Jones showed a LOT of discipline as a defender, very much of the Sam Rowe style. He spoilt first and worried about anything else 2nd.
In the last quarter he flew for a few speckies, his only attempt to do a few more spectacular things. His kicking was also better: he didn't have the pressure of kicking at goal and handballed or short passed to guys in reasonable position by choice (often Silvagni).
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11
I'm more interested how the AIS kids went as this game has been a reasonable indicator in the past.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #12
Jones showed a LOT of discipline as a defender, very much of the Sam Rowe style. He spoilt first and worried about anything else 2nd.
In the last quarter he flew for a few speckies, his only attempt to do a few more spectacular things. His kicking was also better: he didn't have the pressure of kicking at goal and handballed or short passed to guys in reasonable position by choice (often Silvagni).

Jones has most of the physical attributes to play AFL and should have been given a decent tryout in defence.

Reply #13
Jones has most of the physical attributes to play AFL and should have been given a decent tryout in defence.

x3...was ok vs Port Melbourne when I watched him....seemed more composed than many of his teammates...never thought I would be saying that about him :o
Jones probably deserves some games down back just to make sure we are not missing something  before we move him on  and if we are going to keep playing Weitering down forward then he might be useful down back....

JGM isnt going to make it as a KP defender IMO so we need another option , funny how JGM looked better forward according to a few people....

Reply #14
Maybe give Jones a go this week on Charlie Dixon who will be a big handful?
Reality always wins in the end.