Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 87807 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #510
Yep,  not test standard batting EB,  but I wouldn't be too harsh as I don't think our batting unit would have done well either.   Poms looked very short of a gallop and the lack of preparation really showed out.   Our bowling was effective but lengths still didn't look full enough at times and Lyon lacked penetration.  Going to be interesting to see what happens when the pill gets older and the decks unresponsive.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #511
My oldest grandson graduated from primary school yesterday (in my day you just left at the end of last term ... and they were glad to see the back of you).  They had a fairly relaxed day that included watching the start of the Test.  The boys clapped Starc’s run in and they erupted when the stumps shattered, ending up in a pile on the floor.

They’re all into BBL but the theatre and excitement of Test cricket just captured another generation  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #512
Yep,  not test standard batting EB,  but I wouldn't be too harsh as I don't think our batting unit would have done well either.   Poms looked very short of a gallop and the lack of preparation really showed out.   Our bowling was effective but lengths still didn't look full enough at times and Lyon lacked penetration.  Going to be interesting to see what happens when the pill gets older and the decks unresponsive.
Prof, Watched Hameed and Burns vs India and NZ in England and they are not good enough to be playing at test level. Their batting is all about Root and his record out here isn't great. Stokes is short of a gallop but the others have been playing test cricket and I can't see them providing much opposition. It's up to their bowlers to make up the slack but this isn't England with green tops every game and with no Archer they lack firepower for Aus conditions.
Agree our batting is rubbery but I still think we will eek out enough runs to have the edge.

Reply #513
Surely there have to be better opening options than Harris,  gees that was a soft dismissal.  Please get better soon Will.

Reply #514
Warner bowled off a no ball. Lucky once again.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #515
Great game so far Stokes .... you goose

Reply #516
How fortunes change ... 5 down

Reply #517
Pathetic batting.... Batting like millionaires.  It's a test match fellas.

Reply #518
They've bowled pretty well.  This won't last 5 days.

Reply #519
Only had three bowlers too, Leach has bowled Pies and Stokes looks stiff and unfit.
Wood is quicker than our bowlers but cant stay fit but that extra pace has troubled our batsman, Robinson was good vs India and New Zealand in England and is going to be a long term player.
Warner had plenty of luck and we are lucky that Burns dropped a sitter in the slips.
Still in control but considering the poor opposition its been average batting.

Reply #520
Pathetic batting.... Batting like millionaires.  It's a test match fellas.
Yes, they are more focussed on forcing a result than playing good test cricket.

In the old days after knocking them over cheap it would be bat for 3 days then hopefully not bat again, now it's score quick get a lead and hopefully knock em over cheap then bat last. They want Test to compete with ODI as a draw for the young ones, but the tactic is a bit surprising! :o

The Force Awakens!

Reply #521
Both of these sides look unprepared,  physically and mentally,  for test cricket.  The lead in was woefully inadequate for everybody - even the umpires.

Reply #522
Both of these sides look unprepared,  physically and mentally,  for test cricket.  The lead in was woefully inadequate for everybody - even the umpires.

In that context, the cricket wasn’t too bad.  I only watched the last session and, in the immortal words of Bill Lawry, “It’s all happening!”  Quick scoring, wickets falling, misfielding, great fielding, fast bowling, ordinary bowling, and Australia building a big lead - very entertaining indeed  :)

I would have preferred a declaration and 5 or 6 hostile overs but the established wisdom is first innings runs are gold.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #523
Head is a cracker when he plays like that, hard to believe he wasn't in the captaincy considerations given he already captains Sth Aus!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #524
Head is a cracker when he plays like that, hard to believe he wasn't in the captaincy considerations given he already captains Sth Aus!
Not really a fixture in the team imo and one innings vs a depleted bowling lineup and 2nd rate fielding unit isn't enough proof for me at this stage he is cemented in as a player.