Skip to main content
Topic: God help me - the Test Cricket thread (Read 84865 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: God help me - the Test Cricket thread

Reply #495
So maniac McGowan now calls off the Perth 5th Test due to his covid isolation requirements.

Fine, you moron.  I'd make certain you'd NEVER get another Test.

Give Hobart the match.

Reply #496
I'm betting MCG x 2

Reply #497
Carey the likely keeper now with Inglis just missing out....probably in better form with the bat and also has that leadership aspect which gives the selectors another option if Cummins doesnt work out with Smith being a more controversial choice.
Maybe the only reservation I have about Carey is it adds another leftie to the batting order which I'm sure Broad and Anderson wont mind but I dont expect any grassy seaming wickets to be served up which should negate the English duo.

Reply #498
Confirmed, Carey gets the nod!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #499
I'm with Warnie...based on the last 12 months,  HTF does Starc get a start!?!
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #500
I'm with Warnie...based on the last 12 months,  HTF does Starc get a start!?!
Haven't read Warne's commentary, but I'd have to agree. Some people go all beer goggles when they see a bowler who can unleash the odd unplayable pill, but I'd take a DK Lillee or McGrath over J Thompson, M Starc or S Tait every day, day in and day out.

Part of Warne's success, and the teams success at that time, was due to having Warne and McGrath operating like clockwork at either end.

As good as Starc's good can be, his average and bad is well below par! Starc can bowl 3 unplayable overs than go for a ton for the next 10 overs, and that releases all the pressure! While he gets away with that bowling to the bottom order, it can cost us plenty against the top order, and when he is ordinary it costs the bloke bowling at the other end as well!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #501
Anderson out for England, likely they will play 5 seamers with Stokes the 5th bowler not expected to bowl much with Root as the spinner.
Im with Warnie too and would have played Richardson and used Starc for the day/nighter in Adelaide where it will swing for sure.
Starc will probably do OK though as the English top order is iffy apart from Root. I'd expect more runs from the English tail led by Stokes.

Reply #502
My hope is Lyon steps up.

Reply #503
Interesting to read that NSW Cricket Mafia is pushing for the 5th test, no doubt spurred on by NSW Cricket's close ties to the Marylebone Cricket Club, and the ECB's push to hold the final test at a venue best suited to the tourists.

I suppose the ECB are enthused having played WA into kyboshing a visit to the hot and bouncy Perth strip.

Must have been quite a kick in the guts for NSW when new Aussie Captain Pat Cummins came out and said no thanks to the SCG, "I'd rather have a venue better suited to fast bowlers, the SCG gets a little slow and low!" So I suspect he'll be sacked sooner rather than later for that unscripted outburst!

Where should it be held, my preference would be at Hobart rather than a repeat venue, but Hobart is probably the ECB's 2nd preference.

What about an Indoor Day / Night test at Docklands, a game that can be guaranteed regardless of weather?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #504
MCG ... just do it. 

Reply #505
MCG ... just do it.
Unless the series is on the line going into the last test, I think it'll flop.

What about an MCG Day / Night test?

The Force Awakens!

Reply #506
Unless the series is on the line going into the last test, I think it'll flop.

What about an MCG Day / Night test?

It won't flop ... and a day / night?  Maybe.  But definitely not if the series is locked.

Reply #508
England are rubbish, very ordinary batting lineup and it went the way I thought it would.
Root can't make runs in Aus so they have no hope. Anderson and Broad must have come to escape Covid and the English weather..
4-1 if England get lucky and win a dead rubber test if we rest some quicks...

Reply #509
They look very brittle in the top order, especially with an early loss.