Skip to main content
Topic: How good is the Science in Science Fiction films? (Read 2866 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: How good is the Science in Science Fiction films?

Reply #15
Spot on... and no other genre would have allowed Kirk and Nyota to kiss! Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea was another fave, until it lost its way catering to colour TV with ridiculous monsters.

Many borrowed from Irwin Allen's other show "lost in space"

Reply #16
If anyone's looking for a slow-burn, cerebral sort of show, Midnight Mass on Netflix is worth a look. It's not really SF; it's in the horror/supernatural genre. But it has great character development and touches on topics like how good people can be persuaded to do bad things, coping with regrets and grief, and the meaning of life and death. It features some impressive work from the lead actors, especially those who play Father Paul & Bev. In the end, though, it's a horror series rather than a philosophical one.

I've just added Midnight Mass to my watch list on Netflix - thank you Wingman Mav. Big fan of supernatural stuff, intertwined with religion. Although not 'high brow', I enjoyed Stigmata... Patricia Arquette and Gabriel Byrne did a a great job.

Did anyone else see Solaris, with Clooney? Thoughts?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #17
Not a film, but the series The Expanse is by far the most accurate for getting the physics of space correct when it's applied by the directors.

A mate told me to watch that. I gave it about 3 episodes and I asked if he was joking? Turned out I was watching Extant not The Expanse. Should have wrote it down.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #18
A mate told me to watch that. I gave it about 3 episodes and I asked if he was joking? Turned out I was watching Extant not The Expanse. Should have wrote it down.
It's on Amazon Prime at the moment, the final 6th season starts on the 14th of Dec.

I reckon @Baggers would like the earlier seasons, a bit of intrigue mixed with Science Fiction, if you like darker edge to your SciFi another worth watching would be Altered Carbon as well, the real series Altered Carbon not the animation version.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
It's on Amazon Prime at the moment, the final 6th season starts on the 14th of Dec.

I reckon @Baggers would like the earlier seasons, a bit of intrigue mixed with Science Fiction, if you like darker edge to your SciFi another worth watching would be Altered Carbon as well, the real series Altered Carbon not the animation version.

Thank you, Spotted One. Enjoying it so far. You get interesting dreams watching it before sleeping!

Wingman Mav - spot on re character development in Midnight Mass. Really well done. Just finished the first episode. Like the change of pace from other stuff.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #20
I used to read a lot of science fiction and I don't mind the odd Sci-Fi movie or series.   The original Total Recall was a little too far-fetched and I haven't bothered with the remake.  The two Blade Runner movies are right up there but 2001 takes the cake.  HAL's character development was superb and, as it wasn't set too far into the future, the technology and environment was close to what was fairly well-known.

One of my all time favourite Sci-Fi shows is Red Dwarf.  I think that you can get away with a bit more when it's comedy but there was nothing too outrageous  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball