HB:   Scotland Watson Tuohy
C:     Walker  Murphy  Thomas
HF:    Yarran  Henderson Robinson
F:      Casboult Waite Garlett
R:      Kreuzer Judd Gibbs

INT:   McLean Carrazzo White
SUB:  Armfield
EMG:  Curnow Lucas Docherty

Swap Gibbs and Murphy, Replace White with Warnock, Docherty for Army and thats what I had.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: Best 22 for 2014

Reply #31
B:     Everitt Jamison Simpson

Swap Gibbs and Murphy, Replace White with Warnock, Docherty for Army and thats what I had.

Fair enough on Gibbs and Murphy. In modern day football, I'd consider all of Judd, Gibbs and Murphy (the primary onballers) as interchangeable. I could easily see Docherty taking Army's spot at some point in the season because I think he's naturally a better footballer, I'm just not 100% that will be from round one.

I went without a second bonafide ruckman in the side because I think that if you take some pressure off the Casboult/Kreuzer combination by playing them out of a forward pocket (with both Hendo and Waite as key forwards) then we shouldn't necessarily need another lumbering tall like Warnock in the side. I'd rather go with the extra flexibility of White, who can slot in either forward or back and isn't limited to just the one particular position.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #32
my team for what its worth:

FB :Everitt Jamieson Simpson
HB:Docherty Henderson Gibbs
C:  Thomas   Mclean   Walker
HF:Yarran    Waite   Robinson
FF:Menzel   Casboult  Garlett
FOL:Kreuzer, Murphy Judd
INT:Scotland, Tuohy, Carrazo
SUB:Armfield
EMG:Cripps, Mcginnes, Graham

Kreuzer and Casboult share the ruck duties, Gibbs, Robinson, Tuohy( I think he's ready to break out), Carrazo, Yarran(if he imprpoves his fitness) and potentially Thomas all included in on ball rotation, I have deliberately gone with no recognised 3rd tall forward as I believe our leg speed and med sized players are our best bet up forward adding another tall will take away from that+ Robinson can play the 3rd tall role when he's forward. Happy to omit carrazo for a younger inside mid (cripps, graham, Bell? Cachia?) if he struggles early in the season.

Reply #33
B:     Everitt Jamison Simpson

Fair enough on Gibbs and Murphy. In modern day football, I'd consider all of Judd, Gibbs and Murphy (the primary onballers) as interchangeable. I could easily see Docherty taking Army's spot at some point in the season because I think he's naturally a better footballer, I'm just not 100% that will be from round one.

I went without a second bonafide ruckman in the side because I think that if you take some pressure off the Casboult/Kreuzer combination by playing them out of a forward pocket (with both Hendo and Waite as key forwards) then we shouldn't necessarily need another lumbering tall like Warnock in the side. I'd rather go with the extra flexibility of White, who can slot in either forward or back and isn't limited to just the one particular position.
Agree on the ruck theory, only problem for me is the two of them (K and 206) are so injury prone, they cant seem to ruck all day alone ala Jolly, Ottens etc at their prime.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #34
my team for what its worth:

FB :Everitt Jamieson Simpson
HB:Docherty Henderson Gibbs
C:  Thomas   Mclean   Walker
HF:Yarran    Waite   Robinson
FF:Menzel   Casboult  Garlett
FOL:Kreuzer, Murphy Judd
INT:Scotland, Tuohy, Carrazo
SUB:Armfield
EMG:Cripps, Mcginnes, Graham

Kreuzer and Casboult share the ruck duties, Gibbs, Robinson, Tuohy( I think he's ready to break out), Carrazo, Yarran(if he imprpoves his fitness) and potentially Thomas all included in on ball rotation, I have deliberately gone with no recognised 3rd tall forward as I believe our leg speed and med sized players are our best bet up forward adding another tall will take away from that+ Robinson can play the 3rd tall role when he's forward. Happy to omit carrazo for a younger inside mid (cripps, graham, Bell? Cachia?) if he struggles early in the season.
Mate Love Robbo to death but I've got this inkling that his days are numbered. Clean ball use is the order of the day going fwd and he just doesnt cut it. You can see by what they are trying to draft in that this is the case (at least thats how I read it). I just think his hardness and toughness "petrol vouchers" are running out and have taken him as far as they can. As for Levi, boy does he need to improve his fitness by a country mile to even be considered for a game. Another whos days may be numbered IF he doesnt get himself supremely fit.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #35
GIC.

Player types coming in at the moment if these guys fail to come the goods. Its not that their days are definitely numbered, but similar types have been selected if they fail to come the goods. However its insurance with players that have some skills by foot. Is that all bad, no. Not for the club, but it could be for your above mentioned players. IMO. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #36
Mate Love Robbo to death but I've got this inkling that his days are numbered. Clean ball use is the order of the day going fwd and he just doesnt cut it. You can see by what they are trying to draft in that this is the case (at least thats how I read it). I just think his hardness and toughness "petrol vouchers" are running out and have taken him as far as they can. As for Levi, boy does he need to improve his fitness by a country mile to even be considered for a game. Another whos days may be numbered IF he doesnt get himself supremely fit.

Clean ball use is important but it means nothing if you can't win your own ball.

Robbo's brain fade against the Tigers paled into insignificance when he threw himself to mark, and then goal.  How many clean ball users would have even contemplated attempting that mark?

The same applies to fitness; what's the use of a marathon runner who can't take a contested mark?

The coach and the fitness staff have to get the best out of every player even if that means more time on the pine for some and covering errors for others.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #37

Clean ball use is important but it means nothing if you can't win your own ball.

Robbo's brain fade against the Tigers paled into insignificance when he threw himself to mark, and then goal.  How many clean ball users would have even contemplated attempting that mark?

The same applies to fitness; what's the use of a marathon runner who can't take a contested mark?

The coach and the fitness staff have to get the best out of every player even if that means more time on the pine for some and covering errors for others.

All players make mistakes at times (it's their net impact that is relevant), I've seen Gibbs and even Judd/Murph produce some terrible clangers in recent times?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #38
For round 1 Id go with:

B: Tuohy, Jamison, Rowe
Hb: Walker, Everitt, Docherty
C: Simpson, Carrazzo, Thomas
Hf: Judd, Henderson, Menzel
F: Garlett, Waite, Casboult
Foll: Kreuzer, Gibbs
Rov: Murphy
I/c: Curnow, Graham, Robinson, Yarran

Reply #39

With all due respect DJC, I think you are mixing arguments (sort of). I wasnt talking about a type of player. I was talking about Robbo and Levi specifically and their deficiencies. I can counter your arguement by saying whats the point in being hard and win your own footy if you give back to the other mob every time. Same with the specific reference to Levi. I can counter that by saying whats the use of being able to clunk marks if then youre to effin tired to execute the kick for goal properly. What I am saying is that we need more complete packages, not bitsas. E.g. If Cripps turns out to be the hard nut inside mid who disposes beautifully, someone like Robbo is no longer required as their deficiencies no longer need to be tolerated.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #40
For round 1 Id go with:

B: Tuohy, Jamison, Rowe
Hb: Walker, Everitt, Docherty
C: Simpson, Carrazzo, Thomas
Hf: Judd, Henderson, Menzel
F: Garlett, Waite, Casboult
Foll: Kreuzer, Gibbs
Rov: Murphy
I/c: Curnow, Graham, Robinson, Yarran

That 22, playing good footy, will scare every side in the comp and beat a lot more than most.

Not sure about Rowe and Casboult both in the 22..... but if form warrants it.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #41
All of these teams have at least one common feature - Hampson is not named in the forward line in any of them.

Like him as a player but he confused the situation for us as he just never had a clear position and the MC was forever trying to shoe-horn him in somewhere. Never worked.

Thomas added to the midfield and Doc on the hbf - Walker or Simpson also added to the midfield. Everything looks far more balanced.

Betts - I'd love it if he was still there but without him in the fwd line we have traded a bit of crumbing power for a more balanced structure in my view. Menzel or Walker fwd gives us a bit more height with Yaz / Jeff still plenty of tacking/crumbing.

Reply #42
Be interesting to see whether or not Warnock plays R1 IMO. I think he will as 1st ruck with Kreuz as fwd/relief ruck and Casboult ommitted.

Not sure whether Rowe will crack a spot either - guess it depends how he goes with his fitness between now and then?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #43
Ok with all the drafting now finished I will have a early crack at our best lineup for 2014.

FB: Tuohy, Jamison, Everitt
 HB: Walker, Watson, Simpson
 C: Thomas, Gibbs, Lucas
 HF: Yarran, Henderson, Garlett
 FF: Casboult, Waite, Menzel
 R: Kreuzer, Murphy, Judd
 IC: Carrazzo, Robinson, Curnow, Docherty

FB: Duigan, White, McInnes
 HB: Temay, Giles, Bootsma
 C: Graham, Mclean, Scotland
 HF: Armfield, Rowe, Ellard
 FF: Buckley, Reynolds, Bell
 R: Warnock, Cachia, Cripps
 IC: Wood, Johnson, Holman, Sheehan/Byrne

Better depth and quality, some way to go but hopefully general improvement, confidence and development improves also which it really should!

For the VFL affiliate, we now have Jack Anthony onboard which will be god I think - very interested to see how he goes - and possibly Cameron Conlon also as I read somewhere he had been training with the Northern Blues FC? A bigger unit down back would be nice too. Hopefully we can keep Kane Lambert, especially after losing Adam Marcon.

Reply #44
Ok with all the drafting now finished I will have a early crack at our best lineup for 2014.

FB: Tuohy, Jamison, Everitt
 HB: Walker, Watson, Simpson
 C: Thomas, Gibbs, Lucas
 HF: Yarran, Henderson, Garlett
 FF: Casboult, Waite, Menzel
 R: Kreuzer, Murphy, Judd
 IC: Carrazzo, Robinson, Curnow, Docherty

FB: Duigan, White, McInnes
 HB: Temay, Giles, Bootsma
 C: Graham, Mclean, Scotland
 HF: Armfield, Rowe, Ellard
 FF: Buckley, Reynolds, Bell
 R: Warnock, Cachia, Cripps
 IC: Wood, Johnson, Holman, Sheehan/Byrne

No way Curnow gets a game over McLean in the 1s. The only way he gets a game is if Carrazzo is out imo. Especially if MM goes back to no designated tagger like the pies.