Skip to main content
Topic: Re: R23 - Carlton v Essendon- Like Dancing with your Drug Crazed Ugly Stepsister (Read 50062 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R23 - Carlton v Essendon- Like Dancing with your Drug Crazed Ugly Stepsister

Reply #45
Players thought that there was time remaining and tried to keep the ball alive.  Better play might have been Touhy to run past for a receive and long bomb.  Imagine the noise....
Reckon there'd have been a huge noise too if he kicked a point too.....lol.

Re: R23 - Carlton v Essendon- Like Dancing with your Drug Crazed Ugly Stepsister

Reply #46
Players thought that there was time remaining and tried to keep the ball alive.  Better play might have been Touhy to run past for a receive and long bomb.  Imagine the noise....

I watched from exactly side on to that kick, the EFC player ran 1m or 2m over the mark and was not penalised. Gibbs marked at about 45~46m out well inside the F50 arc. The umpire indicated the mark at about 46m, the EFC player ran over the mark to about 47m as Gibb's kicked.

That young umpire was the same bloke who paid the bad decision on the McLean shepherd, he was behind Goddard's back and could not have seen the contact, the kid just guessed! And he also made the poor non-decision on the Daniher(I think) holding the ball!

AFL umpires should not be guessing, it cost us the game today!

If you want to see for yourself check out the video and pause it a 4s. http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-08-30/mclean-goes-hard-at-goddard The umpire who paid the free is near the top left.

Also listen to the commentary of the full clip, and note how Tim Watson tries to hang McLean for a high bump that never really happened.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
We bag our own pretty hard but gees there are some over rated hacks running around for that mob... blokes that look awesome in the clear with the ball but make dumb decisions and don't defend particularly well...I can remember Betts kicking 8 against that mob and I can see why.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Re: Re: R23 - Carlton v Essendon- Like Dancing with your Drug Crazed Ugly Stepsister

Reply #48
Should've punched it through..

Watching Watson the last 2 weeks he has really looked like a forward.

Watson can have another 12 months as a forward to prove himself and to be fair he looked good today but I'm still not sold on him...played on Hibberd and Dempsey who are half his size
and I need to see more of him doing the business vs more normal type opponents that the top teams will send to him....

Gibbs should have made the distance and ran too close to the man on the mark but the result really didnt mean anything and I was more interested in how he performed
for the 4 quarters and he did ok.

Waite looked like a player upset to be leaving his mates....

Casboult.....not the answer as a KP player and indeed Watson has a big opportunity as he can convert...

Judd....great and I worry when he does hang up the boots..

Bell(Tom/Peter).....a player of contrast......either great and looking like a Kouta clone and the next minute lookong brain dead and lost when has to think too much for too long...

Goddard...you weak NIDA graduate....what an actor.....and then later gave Judd a cheap shot on the way through a passage of play...wish Brock had knocked him out .....disgraceful umpiring....too hard a bump???..gimme me a break.

Reply #49
That umpire had a bad day LP... the Maclean shepard was a bad, bad call, but the non-free against Daniher really shat me off because that kid looks to be yet another black and red protected species... then again, Bell got away with one in the third when he was clearly run down so it evened up.

There were a couple late eg Lucas smashed high and front on etc that were missed but they don't pay frees late in games like that unless you are Geelong...

Can't believe what Goddard gets away with, yet he runs around squealing like the most hard done by bloke in the league.  Maclean's hit was a beauty and it was interesting to see a few of our blokes get into the bumbers about it.  They don't like getting it back that mob.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #50
How much is social club membership....I was thinking of getting one for the family

Don't bother. It's not worth it.

Reply #51
That's the best I've seen Watson play in a dark navy blue jumper - he looked very very promising as a forward. My major gripe was though, WTF has it taken the powers that be at the club this long to try him out as a forward?? I was almost on the point of throwing my empty coffee cup at the screen. Hell, we've been suggesting trying him there for at least a year - gee they are slow learners at CFC!

Anyway, rant over. A few potential positives there for next year esp. Watson and Sheehan. Brock also looked OK but was not shown up for pace today. Maybe with a few new additions next year may possibly bring us a bit more joy.
Reality always wins in the end.

Re: Re: R23 - Carlton v Essendon- Like Dancing with your Drug Crazed Ugly Stepsister

Reply #52
Casboult.....not the answer as a KP player and indeed Watson has a big opportunity as he can convert...

EB1, I watched them closely today and it was clear Casboult was feeling the heat of having Watson make himself a presence. To be fair to Casboult, at times it looked like all three tall forwards were playing for their career.

Watson needs to get a lot nastier if he is to make it as a forward, he needs to use his size and bulk to hurt a few defenders.

Mind you the blokes playing on him today probably only compete because they are juiced up freaks!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
That's the best I've seen Watson play in a dark navy blue jumper - he looked very very promising as a forward. My major gripe was though, WTF has it taken the powers that be at the club this long to try him out as a forward?? I was almost on the point of throwing my empty coffee cup at the screen. Hell, we've been suggesting trying him there for at least a year - gee they are slow learners at CFC!

Anyway, rant over. A few potential positives there for next year esp. Watson and Sheehan. Brock also looked OK but was not shown up for pace today. Maybe with a few new additions next year may possibly bring us a bit more joy.

Give the kid and the club a break, he was a career defender and is learning forward play at VFL level. He probably needs another year at VFL level as a forward to get the gig sorted out in his head! But as good as he was today there were times he failed to compete against two smaller defenders.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #54
@LP

I nearly did give 'em a break - a broken coffee cup or a broken TV screen.

Sorry LP, don't get you - I thought I was being positive about Watson - the club, well that's another story.

Reply #55

EB1, I watched them closely today and it was clear Casboult was feeling the heat of having Watson make himself a presence. To be fair to Casboult, at times it looked like all three tall forwards were playing for their career.

Watson needs to get a lot nastier if he is to make it as a forward, he needs to use his size and bulk to hurt a few defenders.

Mind you the blokes playing on him today probably only compete because they are juiced up freaks!

LP..on the money with the juiced up freaks...Hibberd looked like the Michelin man out there.....
Agree on Watson and I have been a severe critic of what he has dished up but he seems a better player in the seniors overall(think Jim stated this) and learning to be a forward takes time and
you are on the money he needs to throw his weight around more. Problem is he was a U18 bully boy who just had little kids bouncing off him like pinballs and never had to think much about wrestling or fighting for position and acting nasty.
This is new territory for him....being down forward means working harder..a new concept.

Reply #56
Did anyone else at today's game wonder why we gave Heppell a clear run through the defensive side of the centre square all day?
He cut us to pieces.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #57
Gibbs shot was from outside 50 when he made contact, into a breeze which had affected kicks in that direction all day, after 100 mins of football....for all those hanging him for not making the distance, pull your friggin' heads in.

We saw the best & worst of Carlton today....thankfully more good than bad.

Waite's a conundrum.....saw the best & worst of him today. He's clearly going imo, but what a waste to lose him for nothing. Watson's form today may be a tasty glimpse of what we'll get as a replacement.

Brock reminded all today that he's not quite yet spent as a quality AFL player. His best game of the year for mine.

Bell will be a star. Period.

Rowe was smashed in the 2nd & 3rd quarters, but regained his composure to finish the game strongly. Most improvement I've ever seen in a Carlton player over the course of a year that I can remember.

Finally saw a positive glimpse of what Cripps will bring to the table. Not huge numbers in the last, but what he did was quality.

Levi Casboult, discuss......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #58
Anyone have any idea as to what happens with our team at certain parts? In the second quarter you could sense we just came to a complete stop no run, Nothing, then the confidence seems to fade... For a while And then out of nowhere we pull it out again! Don't get what it is... The fade outs.. Anyone?

Reply #59
Anyone have any idea as to what happens with our team at certain parts? In the second quarter you could sense we just came to a complete stop no run, Nothing, then the confidence seems to fade... For a while And then out of nowhere we pull it out again! Don't get what it is... The fade outs.. Anyone?

I think the Bummers just put a lot more pressure on us and stopped our run and flow in the 2Q. We couldn't break the shackles again until into 3Q when they began to to tire and we could again start to re-assert ourselves.