Skip to main content
Topic: Rowe & White, Real Defenders ?? (Read 11665 times) previous topic - next topic

Rowe & White, Real Defenders ??

"Mad" Mick Malthouse has always had the knack of getting something out of a couple of players who are on the fringe and possibly destined for delisting. Undoubtedly, his two success stories this year are Sam Rowe & Simon White.

I have always thought White was a reasonable player but has never been given a dedicated role in the team and accordingly have suggested he would be cut. Rowe has never impressed me looking too slow at this level and was some sort of token listing by Ratten. This year, both have turned those thoughts on their head and were two of the first picked most of the time.

The thing is, I'm really wondering whether their emergence as frontliners was on the back of and out of pure necessity by Malthouse or were they always destined to make it in this manner ??

Our defensive unit currently has those two plus Yarran, Docherty, Buckley, Jamison & Tuohy (Henderson should be there two) which is quite thin overall.

Are Rowe & White real defenders now and if so, for how long too ??

I still believe they are stop-gap measures in the short-term !!
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Rowe & White, Real Defenders ??

Reply #1
Up until the last few games I had serious concerns that Rowe had possibly out performed himself and would be in danger of slipping back to mediocre again. I no longer have those worries as, to quote MM, he has truly crossed his Rubicon. He knows he can match it with the best now and has gained tremendous confidence. I'm sure he has established himself now, knows his calling and will go on with it for us.

Not so confident with White, but there have been some encouraging signs. Maybe he'll make that river crossing next year?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #2
Rowe is a serious defender and at 198cm we need that size down back...good footballer and I enjoy watching him....he can play and be a KP player for us for a while IMO.

White..not so sure about, has a go and you cant knock his application but he is more of your poor mans Goldsack without the latter's kicking skills....if Giles can make it then I reckon White will be handy backup at best...

Reply #3
I saw an interview with Push Up King on the Marngrook Footy Show. Something really hit home for me. His biggest plus is the fact that he is selfless. Everything he did was for the team. Team first, self second. People like him, Rowey and Whitey are coaches dreams. They are given the less glamorous roles and they do these and worry about nothing else. The more of these type in your team the better.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
But it does help if you can play as well. Happy that I was proven wrong with Rowe but White is mediocre at best IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #5
Rowe is a now a very good defender, up with the best. White's hard at it, takes no sh1t, something we needed alot, reasonable talent only but plays a role well just like the many similar types the Swans have recruited over the years. Swans are experts at developing similar types as simply role players. They play their own role properly then you have a good player.

Reply #6
I like the fact that both of them have mongrel, and give it out from time to time. If they can maintain a half decent skill level as well as the mongrel, will be happy to have them in the back 6.

Reply #7
Jamo and Rowe are good staples down back... Complement each other nicely (as long as Jamo's shoulders aren't rooted).

Simon White, role player but that's it for me.

Reply #8
Stop gaps.  Neither will be elite defenders and am happy for them to prove me wrong.

Until we can get Henderson back, I worry.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Rowe has established himself as the real deal. White is hit and miss too often. Needs a break out year next season or it's curtains.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #10
But it does help if you can play as well. Happy that I was proven wrong with Rowe but White is mediocre at best IMO.

Same, I had writtent off Rowe, and happy to admit it.
White I am still not so sure about. He has held his own a few times, but still doesn't look a genuine AFL player for mine.

Reply #11
Rowe took a solid season in defence for MM to nurture him as a gun defender, White may need another year to prove us all wrong. I hope he's right.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #12
I reckon Rowe is starting to fulfil the potential that was evident when he was drafted.  Of course, his illness was a setback but his performances this season aren't far off the highlight footage that we saw when he was drafted.  He still has some improvement in him and I believe that he will be an important player for many seasons to come.

I'm not convinced about White.  He had a few decent games but also several where he had no impact whatsoever.  He needs to become a more consistent player.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #13
I reckon Rowe can be the real deal, in fact I would be disappointed now if he doesn't prove that to be true.

White - good role/depth player. Good player to keep until our depth improves significantly.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #14
Rowe will be as good as Brian Lake......without the brain fades.  Maybe not quite as attacking, but as good body on body.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.