Skip to main content
Topic: Rowe & White, Real Defenders ?? (Read 11662 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rowe & White, Real Defenders ??

Reply #15
Rowe will be as good as Brian Lake......without the brain fades.  Maybe not quite as attacking, but as good body on body.

I'd say he is potentially as good as Lake but not yet, he is certainly as important to our structure as Lake is to the Dawks.

The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
I love Rowe but I still seem him as a stop gap for now. He can very well be the real deal, but needs to back this year up with a solid next year to convince me he is more than a stop gap.

Reply #17
Seems to me if our players aren't All Australian they're stop gap.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #18
Seems to me if our players aren't All Australian they're stop gap.

The AA, U22 AA and U23 AA are all as bogus as hell.

How can any AA side have any of EFCs juiced up junkies, that is as good as validating EFCs behavior?

Everything touched by EFC is stained!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19

How can any AA side have any of EFCs juiced up junkies, that is as good as validating EFCs behavior?

Good point.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #20
People knocling White can tell me this... How many player got a hold of him this year? that we went, Wow he gave Simon White a touch up on the weekend?

Plus his abliity to swing forward...

He'll be in the top 10 or close to it in the B&F. Anyone want to take that bet?
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #21
Sorry Shades, think he is very average. Makes stupid mistakes which is acceptable for a developing player but at his age, not for mine.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #22
People knocling White can tell me this... How many player got a hold of him this year? that we went, Wow he gave Simon White a touch up on the weekend?

Plus his abliity to swing forward...

He'll be in the top 10 or close to it in the B&F. Anyone want to take that bet?

I agree he wasn't that bad and doesn't deserve the criticism he is still getting this year, he has worked in well with Everitt and Rowe. Give these guys some continuity as a group and they will get better and better.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
Sorry Shades, think he is very average. Makes stupid mistakes which is acceptable for a developing player but at his age, not for mine.

I saw Sam Rowe kick blindly out of defence maybe 10 times this year that resulted in another inside 50 and usually a goal.

don't remember White making to many poor decisions, usually beat his man and kicked goals when moved forward. happy to be proven wrong, but think he had a pretty good year.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #24

I saw Sam Rowe kick blindly out of defence maybe 10 times this year that resulted in another inside 50 and usually a goal.

don't remember White making to many poor decisions, usually beat his man and kicked goals when moved forward. happy to be proven wrong, but think he had a pretty good year.

+1

And I think even Rowe probably didnt even make it to 10 times this year.

Another bloke who will go well in this B+F will be Michael Jamison.  Him and Rowe actually performed tandem roles on a few opponents to good effect.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25
White is certainly no star but an average foot soldier IMO. Does the job he's given mainly to a competent level and doesn't mind a bit of the rough stuff - doesn't take backward steps. A good ordinary player as Sir Jack Dyer would have said.

I'm hoping he can become more of a stand out next year and lift his game to the next level.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #26
White is certainly no star but an average foot soldier IMO. Does the job he's given mainly to a competent level and doesn't mind a bit of the rough stuff - doesn't take backward steps. A good ordinary player as Sir Jack Dyer would have said.

I'm hoping he can become more of a stand out next year and lift his game to the next level.

I think we'd all hope that, but I'm pretty sure we're already seeing the best of Simon White. He's a reasonable option as a utility but is never going to be a world beater. There are still plenty of flaws in his game and he doesn't really have much spark or x-factor about him. I don't know how else to describe him other than 'solid'. Not that this is a bad thing, every team needs dependable players like Simon White where what you see is what you get.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final

Reply #27
Defense is all about continuity, whenever I watch teams with a stable defense they always seem to perform beyond their ability. They know when to roll back, offer chop outs, press, zone, it all just happens no directions no instructions.

The group we had this season has only had one season as a group, they look like a solid bunch and given some continuity they will do OK. It's not about individuals.

I think in the long term our problems are all in the middle and forward of center. Our mids don't defend as well as they should, and our forwards are not as consistent as they need to be. Whenever we got busted open last season it was always off the back of piss-weak midfield defensive contributions.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28

Sorry mate I reckon he is a spud! Don't get me wrong, he looks solid at times but he goes to water under real pressure. Just doesn't have what it takes IMO.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #29

Sorry mate I reckon he is a spud! Don't get me wrong, he looks solid at times but he goes to water under real pressure. Just doesn't have what it takes IMO.

I wouldn't call him a spud most of the time, but his tackling technique leaves a lot to be desired, really. For a guy who is built like someone shoved a bunch of giant wall nuts under his skin, he sure misses a lot of tackles and has a lot of people break the tackles that he does lay. I think it's because all too often he just throws arms out and expects it to catch rather than using his core strength and driving through his hips and legs.

Like I said, plenty of flaws in his game and he's far from a world beater.
Just glad I'm old enough to have enjoyed the 1995 Grand Final