Skip to main content
Topic: Pass Mark 2015 (Read 66145 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pass Mark 2015

Reply #60
Take care with what you gamble with GIC. The season we won our last flag, I think we lost to the bottom 2 teams. I can't remember if it was Sydney and St Kilda at the time. Losing to Melbourne and Bulldogs is just too hard to stomach.

it was Sydney and st Kilda
and they were dubious losses

Reply #61
Mick agrees.....Top 8 ;)

Malthouse said he expected his team to play finals, as he always did.  "I believe that my side is capable of winning enough games to put the pressure on to make the eight and then try to do some serious damage."

Reply #62
Plausible Deniability "put the pressure on to make the eight"  ;)

Reply #63
There's no way we'll play finals, Malthouse is taking the piss or trying to pump up our memberships.
About 12th, but 14th or 15th wouldn't surprise me if we get a few injuries.
I'll be rocking up again, I haven't got anything better to do.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #64
There's no way we'll play finals, Malthouse is taking the piss or trying to pump up our memberships.
About 12th, but 14th or 15th wouldn't surprise me if we get a few injuries.
I'll be rocking up again, I haven't got anything better to do.

12th, 14th or 15th will do wonders for the 2016 membership campaign.
We can't afford that type of finish.
We're already hemorrhaging members.

Reply #65

Ask yourself where the improvement will come from Lods.
Waite is a gun on his day and Robbo was an automatic selection, apart from a fit Kreuzer I can't see us being better than this year anywhere else.
Simmo, Carratts and Juddy all the wrong side of 30, no key forwards, plodding key backs and only one decent ruckman, if he stays fit.
Even if our draft picks all gel, which would be a first, they'll take a few seasons.
I've still got the irrational Carlton optimism but I think it belongs to a time long ago, in my more lucid moments I think I've seen my last Carlton flag.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #66

Ask yourself where the improvement will come from Lods.
Waite is a gun on his day and Robbo was an automatic selection, apart from a fit Kreuzer I can't see us being better than this year anywhere else.
Simmo, Carratts and Juddy all the wrong side of 30, no key forwards, plodding key backs and only one decent ruckman, if he stays fit.
Even if our draft picks all gel, which would be a first, they'll take a few seasons.
I've still got the irrational Carlton optimism but I think it belongs to a time long ago, in my more lucid moments I think I've seen my last Carlton flag.

I'm not saying you're wrong  B4L
Just that if you're right..... it will be a disaster.

Waite at his best was a gun....but it was all too infrequent.
At best he kept a key a key defender on his toes.
Robbo had little impact on our season last year and only played in three of our winning games.

Where will the improvement come from?.....players like Menzel, Cripps, Buckley  and maybe Bell and Graham with another year under their belts should make a significant contribution.

Everitt, Thomas and Docherty should now have established a bit of rapport with the side. They'll feel less like the "new boys" now and better understand the abilities and strengths of their team-mates.
Thomas is the wild card and a fit Daisy would give us a big boost.

We've loaded up with forwards which should compensate for Waite....but the key there is Henderson who had a poor preparation last year and struggled for a large part of the year.

That pre-season debacle didn't just affect Henderson though... and it reflected in our play as we struggled early and then improved through the year

Probably the big concern remains the ruck...and I suspect one (or more) of Kreuzer, Warnock and Wood wont be with us this time next year.

Yep it needs a lot to go right.....but just with the natural improvement of the young players surely we can go better than 13th.

Reply #67
I think Lods hit all the key points there, but i think he undersold one of them.

Less off-season injuries this year compared to last year.

Don't underestimate the importance of a full pre-season. Last year we had too many players that suffered and the team suffered. Fix that alone and we are an improved side.

The older players were not a huge factor in 2014 as many of them were injured/underdone for large periods. So anything we get out of them is a bonus in 2015.
Younger players always improve as a whole, although individual amounts can vary, there will be at least 1 step up ala Menzel, Buckley last year.

Malcolm Blight was quoted in an article recently suggesting there is no such thing as a premiership window. He cited a year at the crows were they finished 12th. He said that traditionally their window would not have been open at the time, however they won the flag next year? That puts a brick right through the premiership window! Where did the improvement come from?? How did they go from 12th to premiers?

You obviously need a bit of luck to win a flag at the best of times and that was true for that flag win as well. However, perhaps they weren't as bad as 12th and perhaps they were better able to get their best side on the park. Makes a huge difference.

Perhaps we are not as bad as 13th? We did push the Hawks, were very unlucky against the catters, twice...
We did win a final the year before we finished 13th...

Reply #68
I'm not saying you're wrong  B4L
Just that if you're right..... it will be a disaster.

Waite at his best was a gun....but it was all too infrequent.

His career stats are impressive and don't suggest that he was inconsistent.
I think it's that his best games were pearlers and we wanted him to produce it every week, he didn't play many bad ones.

Robbo had little impact on our season last year and only played in three of our winning games.

Still an automatic selection, averaged 20 touches and 4 tackles.

Where will the improvement come from?.....players like Menzel, Cripps, Buckley  and maybe Bell and Graham with another year under their belts should make a significant contribution.

Menzel could be a gunna player, he looks great but slips out of games for long periods, maybe it will come with experience because Yarran was similar when he started.
Cripps hasn't shown much at all, Buckley is made of bubble gum, Bell has flair but lacks skill, Graham is very ordinary if you ask me.

Probably the big concern remains the ruck...and I suspect one (or more) of Kreuzer, Warnock and Wood wont be with us this time next year.

Yep it needs a lot to go right.....but just with the natural improvement of the young players surely we can go better than 13th.

I doubt it, our spine is just too weak.

Reply #69
Buckley is made of bubble gum

???
In the words of Pauline Hanson.
Please explain. :D
I reckon he plays well above his weight.

Maybe I've taken an optimistic view of some players but yours seems a little too pessimistic.

Reply #70
Buckley is made of bubble gum

???
In the words of Pauline Hanson.
Please explain. :D
I reckon he plays well above his weight.

Maybe I've taken an optimistic view of some players but yours seems a little too pessimistic.

I meant that he seems to get injured easily.
It's not hard to become a bit pessimistic after our last decade or more Lods, as of this year we've been back in the draft for ten.
I know we were coming off a low base but ten years is a bloody long time and there still isn't much to get excited about.
I hate to say it but we could catching the Richmond disease, we've got all the symptoms.

Reply #71
Finals are out of the question IMO.

Judd and MM will not see out 2015.

Carlton will finish 16-18th.

Reply #72
It's all joy in Roy World... Come on  mate... Cheer up ffs :)

Reply #74
Pass mark = Premiership
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time