Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 35936 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #105
I think it was Robert Walls who said "Judge the quality of a team by the quality of it's bottom six as much as by the quality of its top six" or words to that effect.

And by any yardstick our bottom six are very ordinary.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #106
And by any yardstick our bottom six are very ordinary.

Some may say we have a bottom 36!

Given we have changed so many players, what does that mean for SOS?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #107
But every club needs them, and Grigg plays his role very well.
And I don't think that they are as common as matches in a box, if they were we wouldn't be sitting on the bottom.

I don't deny that you make some fair points, but honestly, at this point in time, I think we can all agree that Grigg is barely worth discussing for more than a post here or there.

I think his contract for next year is yet to be renewed. But I can't access the HS website to confirm.

Reply #108

There is a common theme emerging.  Players were only staying for big dollars else they were leaving, and its because we as a football club have been very poor.  Ratten produced good results with our boys whilst we were here, but there is a tell about how well he performed as a coach, and it exists in the playing group we currently have.  I don't know who it says more about, be it Ratten, our coaching panel or perhaps our football club anyone else, but whilst Ratten was at the club, the only renduring players were either here before him, or on their last chance at AFL football with no real other options.

The second anyone else had an option they left and the only exceptions to that rule are blokes we elected to get rid of.

Which players were they Thry? ???
I  can't think of any apart from Grigg and Jacobs who went home for greater opportunities

Reply #109
Agree, but all of those players were on less money than what Grigg was/is on too.

So its about value for money. Is 1 grigg better value than 1 JR and 1 Army combined?

I guess you get what you pay for?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #110
Is this the pre game thread?  :o

Reply #111
You're reading way too much into my posts Kruds, someone else brought Grigg up and I said that we made a bad call on him and that was all I said.

Uh oh.....sorry, that was me....it certainly wasn't my intention to drop a grenade & run away  ;)

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #112
I don't deny that you make some fair points, but honestly, at this point in time, I think we can all agree that Grigg is barely worth discussing for more than a post here or there.

I think his contract for next year is yet to be renewed. But I can't access the HS website to confirm.

I think we are discussing what Grigg is symptomatic of at CFC Paul rather than specifically Grigg. You can always argue the pros and cons of individual players but we have got it wrong so often. Our list management has been very poor, eos.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #113
My recollections of Grigg was that he’s an outside player and because of his size we wanted him to play inside.
Whatever twoing and froing went on I wasn’t privy to, but if I was offered similar deals but one club said “we want to play you to your strengths” and the other club said “We want you to harden the farkk up and give us some crash and bash”
Which club would you choose ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #114

Yep, we've said enough about him.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #115
I  can't think of any apart from Grigg and Jacobs who went home for greater opportunities

Bret Thornton wanted to go to Hawthorn but we finished last and told him that if he left we'd use pick one in the PSD on him.  :P

Reply #116
Uh oh.....sorry, that was me....it certainly wasn't my intention to drop a grenade & run away  ;)

It sort of grew legs.

Reply #117
who cares about grigg.We must beat saints this is our "line in the sand game" who ever wears the navy blue friday night has to give 110%

Reply #118
I think it was Robert Walls who said "Judge the quality of a team by the quality of it's bottom six as much as by the quality of its top six" or words to that effect.

Yes, good foot soldiers are important to support to the top players in the sides. Good, solid foot soldiers all the way down to player 22 makes you a very good side. That's what we lacked between 2009-12 when talking about our bottom 6 or 7. Makes a difference. The cream got us up there, the bottom 6 or 7 held us back.

Reply #119

Eddie Betts basically walked out (factors but considering money would have made him stay, I poo poo them, and say he walked).
Zach Tuohy wanted out.
Lachie Henderson wanted out.
Bryce Gibbs wanted out.
Jarrad Waite walked out.
Troy Menzel probably wanted out so we made the most of that scenario.

There was an agenda being pushed that Malthouse made some of them leave and that some of them were traded for the highest value possible, but in retrospect I don't buy it.   I think all of them were simply taking the opportunities available to them, and the second an option came up they walked out the door.

Lets not pretend we wouldn't have kept these players.  They were all part of the landscape at our club.

We have been a club of departures, and I think part of that equation was the way we pushed Josh Kennedy out the door for Chris Judd.  You treat people like a commodity and the others learn a lesson.  The rumours are that Kreuzer would have been gone but failed fitness tests at other clubs.  They were right in the end.  The bloke breaks down as much as Josh Fraser did and would have been considered a wipe out.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson