Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 35808 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #210
Good to see Harry got a game after doing what the club said he needed to do and play excellent footy in the VFL... oh wait

Reply #211
Good to see Harry got a game after doing what the club said he needed to do and play excellent footy in the VFL... oh wait

Incredible isn't it?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #212
Dees are not a good yard stick though. They are bipolar. Very much Jeckyll and Hyde.

There are more than a few in our side who wouldn't currently get a game at any other club in the AFL, it's the weakest Carlton side I can remember.
That said St Kilda are nothing flash and with Simpson back Murphy can go back into the guts, but everything will need to go right for us and if we have three or four passengers again we're sunk.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #213
Watch BB's presser, he explains it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #215
Somehow, I dont think we will win but you never know. We dont play Etihad well, Saints tend to get a hold of us for some reason and we are gun shy on a Friday night. But what I will almost guarantee is a far stronger effort than last week (wouldnt need to improve much to better that pathetic effort). If we dont attack the man and footy ferociously tomorrow night for 4 qtrs, I will be gutted. There is no option other than provide a very strong contest. The footy world is watching.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #216
There are more than a few in our side who wouldn't currently get a game at any other club in the AFL, it's the weakest Carlton side I can remember.
That said St Kilda are nothing flash and with Simpson back Murphy can go back into the guts, but everything will need to go right for us and if we have three or four passengers again we're sunk.

Excluding the kids, of which there are many, only Murphy and Cripps would get a gig elsewhere...

Ed C? Maybe, just...somewhere.

And we always have that many passengers, minimum! Sadly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #217
They will if Bolton leaves a 20m gap for Hickey to tap to Steven running onto the ball.....or lets Billings run around without a man, or puts a banana like Shaw on Gresham..

If that becomes Saturday's headlines I'll loose all faith in our coaches.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #218
Must've been all the smiling in the crowd he was doing.  ;D

He was listed as an emergency last week and travelled with the team.

I don't know what fans expect sometimes.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #219
Shaw is an interesting selection, like Polson before him, his form had peaked and tapered off before they actually gave him a run! Seriously, what is with this?

He has a bit of pace, so it will be interesting to see what he can do on Docklands fast dry surface. He won't find a better ground to suit his game style, or a better team to match up on because the Aints while very fast are also quite small!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #220
Shaw is an interesting selection, like Polson before him, his form had peaks and tapered off before they actually gave him a run! Seriously, what is with this?

He has a bit of pace, so it will be interesting to see what he can do on Docklands fast dry surface. He won't find a better ground to suit his game style, or a better team to match up on because the Aints while very fast are also quite small!

In isolation it doesn't mean alot, but when you put this phenomemon together with Polson getting a 2 year contract extension on the back of 0 proven ability to play footy at the highest level, the only explanation I can come up with is that these blokes are doing everything possible to make something of themselves, whilst others are not, which earns them a game, (and in Polson's case, a contract).

It means we have blokes not applying themselves appropriately at Carlton.

This is why we have been this poor.  Is that a coaching issue?  Make up your own mind, but you can't motivate people if they are not the types to drive themselves.  They will do whats easy rather than whats necessary.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #221
Excluding the kids, of which there are many, only Murphy and Cripps would get a gig elsewhere...

Ed C? Maybe, just...somewhere.

And we always have that many passengers, minimum! Sadly.

Kreuzer would get a game at most clubs.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #222
In isolation it doesn't mean alot, but when you put this phenomemon together with Polson getting a 2 year contract extension on the back of 0 proven ability to play footy at the highest level, the only explanation I can come up with is that these blokes are doing everything possible to make something of themselves, whilst others are not, which earns them a game, (and in Polson's case, a contract).

This is why we have been this poor.  Is that a coaching issue?  Make up your own mind, but you can't motivate people if they are not the types to drive themselves.  They will do whats easy rather than whats necessary.

Let's just say superficially, there seems to be a lack of integrity in our MC selections when guys playing well cannot get a game, and yet when they are struggling to get a touch they get the nod! I'm not going to make any accusations or draw conclusions about why this happens, but again superficially there seems to be a trending connection and pattern!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #223

I don't know how you reach that conclusion.

Reply #224
I don't know how you reach that conclusion.

It's not unreasonable to conclude this, that players in poor form but making the effort would get the nod over players in better form who seem to lack the application.

FWIW, while assisting at TAC Cup Dev level I've seen would be champions of the game cut from squads because they lacked intensity at training despite being among the BoGs on match days!

I'm not saying that it's fair or correct, but it seems to be a thing that coaches look for!

The real worry for me is that when injuries or poor form result in someone like McKay getting a run despite apparently being in cruise mode at VFL level! IMHO McKay deserves a run this week even less than SoJ had deserved a return from the AFL, and that is saying something, because young SoJ had really only displayed his midfield ignorance! That sort of selection sends mixed messages and can be very disruptive to a club!
The Force Awakens!