Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2020: Post Game Post Mortum: Carlton vs. Richmond (Read 13222 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2020: Post Game Post Mortum: Carlton vs. Richmond

Reply #105
As discussed elsewhere, its partly tactical.

We can continue to do that, we just tell him not to jump at them.
If thats tactical, Ill give the game and the club away.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #106
150% agree Cookie.

Why I constantly say we are the dumbest club in the comp.

Doesn't matter how many times we change the coach, get new blood in, early draft picks whatever, we still have NFI how to do a basic spot up pass to a leading forward.

How many times do we stuff it up when we are out and have space and our forwards are calling for it behind the defenders when there is space to lead into. No crap, but we learnt that at under 10s and under 12s.

Been a long time since I have watched a Carlton team move the ball into their fifty with any sort of system.

I like Jack but the pass he tried to execute when only 35 dead in front out was dumb football.   Then you have Plowman calling for the ball to take a running shot is again a play that shows no system. Murphy seeing it was Plowman and giving it to him was beyond stupid.

These are 2 examples of plays that teams with a system rarely if ever would try.    
And Teague was Adelaide's Fwd Line coach ::) I was listening to the radio today and they were discussing what audio they could overlay on the broadcast to cover for the lack of a crowd. For our 1st qtr and abit, Benny Hill music would have been apt.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #107
If thats tactical, Ill give the game and the club away.

I mentioned elsewhere, don't know if you read it.

Teague said pre-game, and this is the same message from last year, that he wants to get the ball forward and lock it inside 50/forward half.

Getting the ball forward is self explanatory.
How do you lock it in?
Obviously if you can find a teammate inside 50, hit him up. If not? Bomb it long towards the boundary. If you can't mark it, ensure the opposition does not. They will most likely spoil it towards the boundary and cause a throw in.
This gives you time to set up for the stoppage, and set up your wall across half forward.
From there, back cripps and co to win the stoppage and get a shot on goal.

Its a 'cousin' of the malthouse game plan of go long down the line if nothing is on so you are not beaten on the slingshot.

Reply #108

I mentioned elsewhere, don't know if you read it.

Teague said pre-game, and this is the same message from last year, that he wants to get the ball forward and lock it inside 50/forward half.

Getting the ball forward is self explanatory.
How do you lock it in?
Obviously if you can find a teammate inside 50, hit him up. If not? Bomb it long towards the boundary. If you can't mark it, ensure the opposition does not. They will most likely spoil it towards the boundary and cause a throw in.
This gives you time to set up for the stoppage, and set up your wall across half forward.
From there, back cripps and co to win the stoppage and get a shot on goal.

Its a 'cousin' of the malthouse game plan of go long down the line if nothing is on so you are not beaten on the slingshot.
Bombing long towards the boundary is one thing and I understand that but we dont do that. We bomb it straight down the middle and the oppo defenders lick their collective chops. I cannot be convinced that our fwd entry play has any form of system ATM.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #109
I cannot be convinced that our fwd entry play has any form of system ATM.

It is non existent.  We're OK on protection, pathetic in attack and incapable in following a game plan. 

Reply #110
I don't know if this has been mentioned but if I was a conspiracy theorist I'd say that the umps got a message at quarter time that the bosses don't want to see a non event in the first game of this weird  season.

Reply #111
Just thinking back over the last 8 or 9 years and recalling the thrashings we got every season from Hawthorn and other top sides.

Year in, year out we saw players like Hodge, Gunston, Breust, Mitchell etc, take us apart with their foot skills and ability to control the ball.  In those years, with monotonous regularity we would keep turning the ball over, even when not under pressure.

I assumed with the rebuild that Bolton and SOS in their selection criteria with early picks would automatically include recruiting players with foot skills.

Yet, who have we recruited that has the skills to give us a winning forward line?

Richmond last night just continued our humiliation.  Why is it that our recruiters cannot see what every Carlton supporter can see is needed?

As I've said before, it wouldn't matter who is coach.  There is something so wrong with our club that will ensure we stay close to the bottom for years.

Reply #112
I assumed with the rebuild that Bolton and SOS in their selection criteria with early picks would automatically include recruiting players with foot skills.

Yet, who have we recruited that has the skills to give us a winning forward line?

Did you see SPS carving the tigers up last night? Best foot skills out on the park IMO.
Up forward, we had Martin.

I agree that more is always handy, but to say we have none is wrong.

Reply #113
Did you see SPS carving the tigers up last night? Best foot skills out on the park IMO.

Dow?  Plowman?

Reply #114

True those 2 are good. The point was we don’t have anywhere near enough especially thru the midfield.
Poor list management decisions has left us with no back up ruck and a midfield filled with young blokes that butcher it.

Reply #116
Just wached the game in full.

most of H2 for the first time.

Anyone who says Dusty was BOG is smoking some good gear - non event.

I was very impressed by how we finished.

Richmond didn't slow down, we dropped the gears and zoomed past them.

Jack Martin, SPS, Crippa, Doc and Weiters - just wow.

Get the likes of Dow out of the 22 (hopefully he comes good), improve our intensity and tackling from the get go and we can take any team,

Sad about Special K obviously but perhaps Pittonet's time to shine?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #118
After watching the first 4 games I reckon we have been the 3rd best side out of them.

Of course GWS v Geelong might knock that down a bit plus West Coast and Brisbane are still to play.

Reply #119
Yes, for a season start it's been pretty ordinary in general, skills are carp, just shows you how much the crowd noise influences opinions.
The Force Awakens!