Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572971 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1290
Stoinus should be in at 6. We miss a 4th seamer and he is also a viable batting option. Kawaja should be replaced by Smith and Lehmann bats 4

Khawaja averages 63 in Australia and has been in brilliant form for Queensland. No way you play Lehmann ahead of him.

Reply #1291
Can't agree. His form has been poor.

Where Hodgey?

Like Stoinis to do it eventually but only after more Shield games with good scores. He got 22 of 18 balls in his only game doing the team thing but was going for the slog given the point of the innings they were at. Hopefully his one day form translates into 4-5 day form eventually.

Reply #1292
Khawaja averages 63 in Australia and has been in brilliant form for Queensland. No way you play Lehmann ahead of him.

Agree...think Khawaja will do well against the English bowlers on our wickets, he has been in form and is a bit different to our other batters
in that he can occupy the crease, work the ball, and be a solid player to build around , something we miss when Rogers retired.

Reply #1293
Agree...think Khawaja will do well against the English bowlers on our wickets, he has been in form and is a bit different to our other batters
in that he can occupy the crease, work the ball, and be a solid player to build around , something we miss when Rogers retired.

he's a bloody good player is Usman.....as good as any of the Englishmen imo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1294

Oh no, not you too EB !  They are Batsmen !!!!!  This is not baseball.  I cringe everytime I hear Michael Clark or Smith or one of the other current generation use this term.  Why ?

Batter is what comes cooked with my piece of flake !

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #1295
Oh no, not you too EB !  They are Batsmen !!!!!  This is not baseball.  I cringe everytime I hear Michael Clark or Smith or one of the other current generation use this term.  Why ?

Batter is what comes cooked with my piece of flake !

Fair call there Mal...I dont like the americanization of Aus and here I am using their terminology :-[..batsman it should be....

Reply #1296

Fair call there Mal...I dont like the americanization of Aus and here I am using their terminology :-[..batsman it should be....

ha...no probs mate !  It just a bugbear of mine......of course it is entirely fair to use this term for womens cricket if that's preferred to batswomen (which is a bit unwieldy) no problem with that at all.

Reply #1299
No problem with a spinning ball here, just the sub continent.

Be interesting to see if England get the courage to play Mason Crane...a Warnie clone who played in NSW and I think played some state cricket.
Leaks some runs but can spin the ball and bowl teams out...big risk though on the spin unfriendly Aus wickets.
Reckon the English will be negative and bowl Ali and Root as their slow bowlers with packed leg side fields......maybe Crane might get a game in Sydney...

Reply #1300
They certainly won't play him in the first couple of tests.....if they find themselves 2 down early on, or having to win the last test they might give him a go.

I'll be very interested to see how the Aussies go at Ali.  He's been allowed to get off very easy for a modest spinner in the past.  They need to target him the way they did Graham Swann last time.  Make it harder for the Poms to keep selecting him for his batting......which will be very useful for them.

Reply #1301
No problem with a spinning ball here, just the sub continent.

I think Khawaja's  problems over on the sub-continent were as much to do with the variable lack of bounce as anything. He is a strong square of the wicket player and Aussie square of the wicket players always struggle over there, the sub-continent players tend to be far more wristy and can deal with late ball movement far better.

In fairness to anyone, the wickets that the games were played on in that sub-continent series were no even suitable for under age cricket let alone test matches. If a school offered that sort of wicket locally the game would be canceled due to OH&S concerns.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1302
They certainly won't play him in the first couple of tests.....if they find themselves 2 down early on, or having to win the last test they might give him a go.

I'll be very interested to see how the Aussies go at Ali.  He's been allowed to get off very easy for a modest spinner in the past.  They need to target him the way they did Graham Swann last time.  Make it harder for the Poms to keep selecting him for his batting......which will be very useful for them.

Ali doesnt look much of a bowler but continues to baffle me how many players get out to him, doesnt spin the ball or bowl with much flight but players seem to want to take him on
and give their wickets away. I think he will get some treatment here in Aus and be a non event as a bowler, however as a batsman he is underrated and very dangerous coming in at 7 or 8.
We have bowled poorly to him in the past with little planning, he has opened for England so he cannot be treated as a lower order mug, he can play the quicks and score quickly as he doesnt mind throwing the bat. 

Reply #1303
Ali doesnt look much of a bowler but continues to baffle me how many players get out to him, doesnt spin the ball or bowl with much flight but players seem to want to take him on

He varies pace very well, his main weapon is variation in pace and bounce with no obvious tells in his action. One ball holds up, the next one skids, the batsmen lose confidence and they stop scoring runs against him. If they were smart they would just safely farm him for 3 runs an over with very little effort but the modern guys want to hit boundaries, but I think they play too much 20/20 and want to block 5 balls then hit a boundary!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1304
I think Khawaja's  problems over on the sub-continent were as much to do with the variable lack of bounce as anything. He is a strong square of the wicket player and Aussie square of the wicket players always struggle over there, the sub-continent players tend to be far more wristy and can deal with late ball movement far better.

In fairness to anyone, the wickets that the games were played on in that sub-continent series were no even suitable for under age cricket let alone test matches. If a school offered that sort of wicket locally the game would be canceled due to OH&S concerns.
Once upon a time it was understandable that some subcontinental pitches were less than perfect. Conditions were fairly primitive. Now there isn't an excuse. New technologies have made wicket preparation far less an art and far more a science. There simply is no good reason for the variation in pitches. They are prepared over there to be spin friendly. Simple as that.
Live Long and Prosper!