Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572980 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1425
It's pretty simple really ... pick the best side (not the selector's and coaches favourites) and just play cricket.  Less over-thinking and more doing.

Well I agree about this part, but on the other stuff I think IPL has removed the hunger required to be a test player for every country except India.

It is absolutely no accident that IPL is almost by design weakening international cricket, and it's no accident that many BCCI test players pick and choose the odd game here or there while staying mostly in the background to concentrate on test cricket. While most of the BCCI's opponents are talent raped by the IPL.

I've heard that if you are an BCCI test player you get the full IPL contract, whether you play one game or ten games, the BCCI compensate test players to allow them to sit out of the IPL and concentrate on test cricket. But if you are an international cricketer you only get pro-rata based on how many IPL games you play, and the other less rich cricket boards do not compensate players who miss IPL games due to test matches!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1426
The kiwis call out a bloke for chucking - who has been called out four times already in his career - and the calling out party is jumped upon.  

What a surprise,  it's a spinner from Asia with a bodgy action.  They changed the rules to allow this grey area into the rules bad now they don't,  can't or won't police it.

The original rules were pretty simple,  you bowl with a straight arm or you F off any play baseball.   This fifteen degree rule is just bull crap. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1427
The original rules were pretty simple,  you bowl with a straight arm or you F off any play baseball.   This fifteen degree rule is just bull crap.

You can blame Dav Whatmore for this, he played the race card when he was coaching Muralitharan and it looked like he was going to be banned for chucking!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1428
One of the greatest loads of hogwash I've ever seen on a cricket field.   We treated one of our own - Meckiff - like trash in the 1960s over chucking but they modified the rules because of the race card. And the treatment of Darrel Hair for doing his job -  calling a dodgy action for what it was within the rules - makes me want to screwing well puke.

I've been shown by a former Australian Test leg spinner how to bowl a "doosra" and the only way to put the desired revolutions on the ball is to throw it by unfurling the wrist and bending the elbow for leverage - its a throw pure and simple.  I also know that CA won't let coaches teach it because it is considered a throw and an illegitimate delivery.

Reply #1429
Indeed, Meckiff was no chucker.

And certainly no more than 90% of today's quicks....

Muri? Pure chucker....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1430
He cocked his wrist,  which is what they all do.   He was the scapegoat in a witch hunt,  buts that's a discussion for another time.

Believe it not,  I saw him down the nets a fortnight ago, with Bill Lawry in tow.    Ian's son or grandson (I'm not sure which)  plays for seniors at my kids' club.

Reply #1431
Here's a tip for CA.

Don't bother sacking the fitness guy when you load up the test squad with busted-ar5e sons of nepotism!

Selection in the Australian Test Team is available to everyone, not just your relatives!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1432
He cocked his wrist,  which is what they all do.   He was the scapegoat in a witch hunt,  buts that's a discussion for another time.

Believe it not,  I saw him down the nets a fortnight ago, with Bill Lawry in tow.    Ian's son or grandson (I'm not sure which)  plays for seniors at my kids' club.

I remember reading an article in which the writer described being shown a film of a bowler by Don Bradman.  The writer identified the left arm bowler as Meckiff by his action.  Bradman then reversed the film and explained that it was footage of Ray Lindwall ...
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1433
Memory fails me,  but around that time Ray was brought back for a final test as a replacement and he described himself as "the last of the real bowlers".  There was a view that all left arm quick were chuckers..... A view carried through to Mitch Johnson with his slingy action.

Left arm bowlers,  by gads,  sinistrists!   It's just not cricket by Jove!

Reply #1434
I remember reading an article in which the writer described being shown a film of a bowler by Don Bradman.  The writer identified the left arm bowler as Meckiff by his action.  Bradman then reversed the film and explained that it was footage of Ray Lindwall ...

That's Pareidolia at work, you can't un-see something once you see it.

btw, at a sportsmen night I've seen a similar trick done with a silhouette technique, you would swear Ricky Ponting's throwing action was Muralitharan bowling!

But lets not get those far more subtle effects like Meckiff, Brett Lee's bouncers, Tait and Malinga compared to the situation in the Whatmore / Muralitharan scenario. Anyone with half a cents worth of consideration for the game could foresee where this would lead, and the officials ignored it out of fear at being labelled a racist! Now there is a whole generation of "pitchers" coming through junior sub-continent cricket, the actions are barely recognisable as bowling!

The real tragedy for me is the record of a bowler like Warne or Lillee will slip into obscurity next to the stats the pitchers will accumulate. Some of the pitchers will be able to play into their 40s to a high level!

For posters who like to take the moderate approach claiming nobody will take it to the extreme for advantage, check out this video.
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1060255516109271040
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1435
That's Pareidolia at work, you can't un-see something once you see it.

btw, at a sportsmen night I've seen a similar trick done with a silhouette technique, you would swear Ricky Ponting's throwing action was Muralitharan bowling!

But lets not get those far more subtle effects like Meckiff, Brett Lee's bouncers, Tait and Malinga compared to the situation in the Whatmore / Muralitharan scenario. Anyone with half a cents worth of consideration for the game could foresee where this would lead, and the officials ignored it out of fear at being labelled a racist! Now there is a whole generation of "pitchers" coming through junior sub-continent cricket, the actions are barely recognisable as bowling!

The real tragedy for me is the record of a bowler like Warne or Lillee will slip into obscurity next to the stats the pitchers will accumulate. Some of the pitchers will be able to play into their 40s to a high level!

For posters who like to take the moderate approach claiming nobody will take it to the extreme for advantage, check out this video.
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1060255516109271040

Trouble is, bowlers with dodgy actions should never be allowed to get to the elite  level.....but junior coaches & umpires are too scared now to call any kid out on it in their formative years.  The longer they get away with it (and most of the time they don't know they're doing anything wrong) the harder it is to correct them later, especially if they're successful  !

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #1436
I was banned from coaching at a club because I made them all bowl and weeded out those with bent arms.  Session after session of remedial work on some kids,  taught thousands how to bowl.   Left,  right,  pace,  spin, all types of kids and bowling.   More than one parent had a go at me over the issue of bodgy actions.    I'm of the opinion that if you get kids early and  coach them  properly they don't fall into irreparable technique issues.

As others have said,  if you want to throw, plenty of baseball clubs around.

Reply #1437
Trouble is, bowlers with dodgy actions should never be allowed to get to the elite  level.....but junior coaches & umpires are too scared now to call any kid out on it in their formative years.  The longer they get away with it (and most of the time they don't know they're doing anything wrong) the harder it is to correct them later, especially if they're successful  !

The trouble it's a chicken and egg argument, the kids allowed to persist with dodgy actions end up taking more wickets because they can do the seemingly impossible with the ball.

Next thing you know some win at all costs spud bookmaker wants them in the test side!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1438
Another send off from Rabada, guess they'll suspend again whatever slap on the wrist he gets. Gee, aren't some if these players really heeding officials and changing their behaviour for the better?

Reply #1439
Australian cricketers are forced to play on a different playing field than anyone else, and I just don't understand why we are doing this to ourselves. Better just get used to losing I guess. Nothing will be said about what Rabada did, but if an Australian bowler did the same thing it would be front page news. Mystifying