Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572949 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1500
No LP ... made here in Melbourne

Reply #1501
Starc throwing away the hard won gains.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1502
India slowly worked their way back into the game, aided by some timid field settings - perhaps understandable with a novice skipper.

I think a fifth bowler would have helped. Surely we can find an all rounder who can bat and keep the pressure on one end  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1503
Don't know why we didn't review when the bloke was 99.  Bowlers got a bit ragged in the last session (understandable given the conditions)  but Starc needs to play smarter.   You can't always blast the tail out and there is a correlation between his length and his results - when he bowls short he bowls crap.

Reply #1504
Don't know why we didn't review when the bloke was 99.  Bowlers got a bit ragged in the last session (understandable given the conditions)  but Starc needs to play smarter.   You can't always blast the tail out and there is a correlation between his length and his results - when he bowls short he bowls crap.

Novice captain?

It was the faintest of nicks but it was there and he could have been on his way back to the dressing room.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1507
I see what you mean, the design is not very sophisticated. I can understand your concerns, it looks like something you might buy from a cheap merchandise stand. Of course the players will always respect it, but I think I agree, they deserve better.

FWIW, I realise it's not the same but when you go into the Imperial War Museum in the UK and see the work they did by hand on uniform emblems 200 years ago it puts this stuff to shame.

Back on the cricket, well done in the field in tough conditions but today is crunch day, it's time to see if the batsmen are now big boys.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1508
Yep, seen many LP ... bullion patxhes

The work that went into them was incredible.  Here's one from the 1930s

Reply #1509
The thing I hate most about the Albion emblem is the eyeballs, it's rank amateur and not needed. They look like somebody has placed a couple of dots with a permanent marker!

The thing is the test cap should look elite, like somebodies Grandma has spent a year sewing it just so, no two the same, and not mass produced, and very very traditional.

When you get that baggy green it should mean something, not the like the brown paper bag version handed out in NSW!

The stupid thing is this, for the test caps, there are any number of agricultural shows you could go to and find the right people to make these caps in a very limited but elite way and they would do it for free!

But there are a lot of things that have gone this way, think about many of the modern trophies handed out versus the old world equivalents. Either the artisans just are not around, or profit has become more important than form and function.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1510
Finch unlucky or poor shot, a bit of both?

I can't help but feel test selection mirrors Carlton selection. All last season we seemed to pick players after they peaked and were on the slide, is it some sort of world sport trend that you have to be on the slide before you get the nod?

Finch's selection feels two or three years too late!

FMD, listening to Simon Katich on radio he's going to town on Finch for a 3rd ball inside edge dismissal, yet he defends Warner when he bats!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1511
Finch and Sean Marsh have one bat left to save their test careers.  

Reply #1512

Probably, they have the spectre of Smith's return and others hanging over their head.

Oddly, I think Finch will get less chances purely as a symptom of the way we have persisted with the Marsh brothers.

Harris obviously deserves a stint, and Handscomb has probably already scored enough runs to move ahead of Finch.

What would really throw the cat among the pigeons is if Maxwell or Pattinson start making Shield runs, except Maxwell ran himself out on 57 today.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1513

Marsh just has to make a score at any level of cricket and we'll be safe for another series or two  ;)

Finch is a bit stiff; batting out of position and not having had red ball cricket in the lead up to the test.  I suspect that won't be taken into consideration when the selectors meet.

Reply #1514
The Finch selection is insane IMO.   Expecting him to open, when he bats middle order for Victoria and hasn't seen any red ball cricket... Like him as a player but FMD,  expecting him to make runs was low chance stuff. He was originally picked to play the Warner role in the UAE,  the go hard before the spinners come on role, but persisting with him is nuts.

Marsh is a very,  very mediocre player,  long term statistics show that.   Time to move on from him.