Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572630 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1770
If you scroll back you'll see I predicted Cumming to be the cricketer of the summer,  although I am pained to see that his injuries have forced him to remodel his action and he has lost the outswing he displayed in his initial test.

If they want a second spinner,  go with Maxwell or Farwhad, who would damn near kill to have a go at the Indians - and he's rat cunning enough to take a few down as well.

Our old ball bowling has stunk - I'm looking at you Starc.  I'm at a bit of a loss how the Indians got it reversing so much on a non abrasive  drop in pitch yesterday.... Better not be any shenanigans going on.   I'm suspicious whenever I see any reverse action,  especially since Starc hasnt moved an old (or new) ball since sandpaper-gate.

It was good listening to Dirk Nannes talk about the bowling.  He felt that the Indians had better technique and used the seam very well.  He also said that Bumrah would have had his action changed in the Australian system and would be a mediocre bowler as a result.  To be fair, Bhogle said that the Indian system would have done the same and it was fortunate that Bumrah had arrived via T20 and not the establishment pathway.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1771
I’m a bit too reactive I think, in both cricket and football. After losing this Test I was sitting here thinking the sky is falling and we’ll never win another Test match ever. But we won one against the world’s number 1 team only 12 days ago. How did we do that? Our openers put on partnerships of 112 and 59, with both making 50’s in the first innings. They didn’t perform well in this Test, but surely we stick with them for a while based on that. Head got a 50 in the first innings and Khawaja in the second innings, while S Marsh got 45 in the first. Paine made 38 and 37, which is handy from a keeper. And all this against the best pace attack to come to Australia since the mighty Windies teams of the 80’s (yes the stats do back up this big statement). Maybe our batting is not as bad as I think it is, just needs a chance to get used to Test cricket? I don’t have any problem with Paine’s keeping, so no problem there. The bowling? Well Starc and Hazlewood each got an early wicket in both innings, and we had them 2/8 in the first, and 2/13 in the second innings. Despite a Kohli century, Lyon got 5 wickets and we bowled them out for 286 in the first innings (lead for us of 43 runs), then we rolled them for 140 in the second innings, with the bowlers sharing the wickets, to win by 146 runs. I hated getting rolled in this Test, but we need to be careful about kneejerk reactions, maybe we aren’t that far away….

Reply #1772
Ed Cowan hit the nail on the head last night when he said that the Marsh brothers have had more than their share of opportunities at Test level when their performances show that they are not up to it.

If Ed was in charge, he would drop the Marsh brothers for Byrne and Wade and bat Finch at 6.

That sounds like a plan to me ... but I can’t see it happening  :(

Finch doesnt have the technique or brains for test cricket, I'd play Maxwell at No 6.....Paine at seven is handy but not really a matchwinner or saver, Aus cricket is at its strongest when we have a keeper who can bat and make centuries. I'd be playing Carey for his batting and letting him develop his keeping, much like we did when Gilchrist was picked. Burns will probably play in Sydney but I remain unconvinced about him.....

Reply #1773
Why am I not surprised by that?

The ex-cricketers on the wireless thought he might get the nod ahead of far more deserving players  >:(

Yep....shows you how well the Shield system is working in producing players and how the big money in the shorter formats has wrecked the techniques of batsman for test cricket. Jamie Siddons couldnt get a game averaging 50 in Shield cricket back in my young days and Lehmann who averaged about the same was fringe selection for most of his career yet we have a bloke who averages 29 now in the squad... :o
Smith and Warner will be straight back in this team as soon as they have finished their suspensions....

Reply #1774
Smith yes, Warner no

Reply #1775
Smith yes, Warner no

I dont think we will go into a Ashes series undermanned and get beat up by England who will be looking for an easy kill if we rock up with players like Finch, the Marsh boys etc.
I'd expect Smith back in at No 4 and the openers will be Warner and Bancroft(maybe).....I agree Warner doesnt deserve to be back and neither do the other two probably but I cant see CA sending a team that will be smashed on those seaming wickets either....

Reply #1776
Philander and Faf are serial cheats and the Saffies don't have a problem with playing them  The Sri Lankans are serial pitch tamperers.   So why should we ban Smith and Warner for life?  I'm sure the EBoC and MCC would love us to rock up sans our best but it ain't going to happen.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1777
“The opposition number 1-6 batsmen when we are bowling has Mitchell Starc with 17 wickets in 10 Test matches at 47,” Warne said. “Josh Hazlewood has 18 wickets at 40. Nathan Lyon 29 wickets at 43. Pat Cummins 30 wickets at 23.

Virat Kohli praised the Ranji Trophy for the success of the side in Australia.

“Our first-class cricket is amazing, which is why we won. Credit must go to first-class set up in India, which challenges our fast bowlers in India, and that helps them abroad,” the India skipper said.

Jaspit Bumrah also praised the Ranji set up.

“We train very hard and we are used to bowling a lot of overs in Ranji cricket, so the body is doing well,” he said.

Reply #1778
“The opposition number 1-6 batsmen when we are bowling has Mitchell Starc with 17 wickets in 10 Test matches at 47,” Warne said. “Josh Hazlewood has 18 wickets at 40. Nathan Lyon 29 wickets at 43. Pat Cummins 30 wickets at 23.

Virat Kohli praised the Ranji Trophy for the success of the side in Australia.

“Our first-class cricket is amazing, which is why we won. Credit must go to first-class set up in India, which challenges our fast bowlers in India, and that helps them abroad,” the India skipper said.

Jaspit Bumrah also praised the Ranji set up.

“We train very hard and we are used to bowling a lot of overs in Ranji cricket, so the body is doing well,” he said.

India used to be a poor team fitness wise but how things have changed...Kohli is said to be a great example and Bumrah is another who has a reputation for being a fitness freak.......
We need to get better in a lot of areas including fitness.....

Reply #1779
India used to be a poor team fitness wise but how things have changed...Kohli is said to be a great example and Bumrah is another who has a reputation for being a fitness freak.......
We need to get better in a lot of areas including fitness.....

I think fitness is probably the only thing we get right.
The comments were more about
A - our lack of penetration from our opening bowlers
And
B - they both commented on the strength of their first class cricket system, while ours has been ignored by CA and gone backwards

Reply #1780
Philander and Faf are serial cheats and the Saffies don't have a problem with playing them  The Sri Lankans are serial pitch tamperers.   So why should we ban Smith and Warner for life?  I'm sure the EBoC and MCC would love us to rock up sans our best but it ain't going to happen.

Spot on Prof.
Smith and Warner serve their time that should be the end of it. Straight back in the side.
Faf was caught twice in one series ball tampering and only lost some of his match payments I think. No big suspensions anyway.
Michael Vaughan is another one. Caught ball tampering when he was Englands captain and got a little smack on the wrist.

We need our best line-up for the ashes series to have any chance.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #1781
One problem we have is NSW plundering the other states, I think it's a big reason our bowlers have become so pathetic.

Because they are a team 24x7 the bowlers no longer have to step up and lead an attack, so they have become complacent allowing the other bloke to make an effort until there is blood in the water, the benefits of having 1st class support without the need for effort or responsibility has made them lazy hunters!

Each of them should be leading an attack, and going head to head!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1782
I think fitness is probably the only thing we get right.
The comments were more about
A - our lack of penetration from our opening bowlers
And
B - they both commented on the strength of their first class cricket system, while ours has been ignored by CA and gone backwards

A: Our bowlers need pace and bounce out of the wicket, none of them really move the ball in the air or off the wicket to any great degree.
We dont have a genuine swing bowler who can swing the new ball or reverse the old one, Starc has the odd day where he does but not enough of them.
Hazlewood hardly moves the ball and Cummins is an effort bowler....
Unlike other countries we manufacture wickets to deny our own bowlers....

B: Short format game has ruined Shield cricket...too many park cricketers with poor techniques who cant transition to the longer format game.....Warner is one of the few who did.

Reply #1783
... and Langer sticks with Finch for sydney  >:(

Reply #1784
It is now too late to radically change the side. Pity, as the side is in need of radical changes.

[1] Our batsmen are averaging less than the bowlers. That is the sort of thing that loses games, and it has.
(a) Finch should not be opening. He hasn't opened for Victoria for a number of years now. Now his form is shot, he looks to be one of the first ready to be dropped. With his present average this series, he should be dropped. But playing him further down the list could have delivered results at least as good.
(b) Head appears to have some idea, but he gets out too easily. Mentally weak at the moment. He isn't that bad a spin bowler either, yet he hasn't had a decent spell.
His present numbers do not deserve a game, but he may in the future.
(c) Harris has disappointed. I think he may have a future, but his present batting is not deserving of a spot.
(d) Shaun Marsh's performances are borderline at best. he makes runs just often enough to keep in the team. But I think test cricket has passed him by. We need someone with his father's mental strength. Both of Geoff's sons have more natural talent than he did, but neither has even half his application and mental strength. Pity, as but they have been given a lot of chances that other guys simply couldn't get.
(e) Mitch Marsh: I think his bowling in the last game was better than it has been in quite some time. The only problem with that was that he was wicket-less. :( His batting: he is a flat track bully. He can slaughter an ordinary attack on a flat deck. But he is not getting to play against ordinary attacks and the decks have not been what we either expect or require. Result? Mitch Marsh fails again. :(
(f) Usman Khawaja: coming back direct from injury set him up for failure. he played no warm up games and has struggled against one of the best attacks in the business.
For all that, he isn't that bad and probably has a future in the team for a little longer. But he was underdone and got smashed.
(g) Marnus Labuschagne will probably play in Sydney. He might have a future: I liked his spin bowling. His batting, on the other hand, is unlikely to succeed against such a good attack. But I can hope.
Live Long and Prosper!