Skip to main content
Topic: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ?? (Read 572860 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Australian Cricket - Crisis, What Crisis ??

Reply #1875
Angelo Matthews out for Sri Lanka which is a big loss, no Herath either, we should win this series 2-0 even with a team of school kids...

If you wanted a soft series vs a weak attack to blood young kids this would be the one...

Reply #1877
Neser should be given a crack no question.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1878
Yep,  Fly,  Neser can't be far away.   Some potential in that CA 11.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #1879
What's wrong with this statement from Hohns?

"Matt Renshaw is a player with the ability to make big scores, and at 22 years old has 10 first-class centuries. He also performed extremely well in England during the County season. We see him as a long-term prospect as a Test player and have confidence in his ability to bounce back following a string of low scores early in the Shield season."

Averaging 19 in the Shield this season and Wade's average is 63. :o

Renshaw might well be a long term prospect but he's not in the best eleven cricketers at the moment.  In fact, few of the Australian team would be.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1880
What's wrong with this statement from Hohns?

Averaging 19 in the Shield this season and Wade's average is 63. :o

Renshaw might well be a long term prospect but he's not in the best eleven cricketers at the moment.  In fact, few of the Australian team would be.

They want Renshaw for the Ashes series because of his county form, agree he doesnt deserve a spot based on Shield form....they are probably hoping for a Chris Rogers scenario..
Renshaw is also the best 1st slip in Aus and will improve our catching...
I'm not a fan of playing wicketkeepers as stand alone batsman but I take your point on Wade, he is knocking down the door but I think the selectors will go for youth from here on in...
I'd expect Tremain or Boland to tour England and maybe Neser or Worrall as the swing bowler...not sure why Siddle is even in the test squad...I'd be trialing those fringe quicks vs the Sri Lankan's who are a very ordinary team and missing key players.

Reply #1881
They want Renshaw for the Ashes series because of his county form, agree he doesnt deserve a spot based on Shield form....they are probably hoping for a Chris Rogers scenario..
I'm not a fan of playing wicketkeepers as stand alone batsman but I take your point on Wade, he is knocking down the door but I think the selectors will go for youth from here on in...
I'd expect Tremain or Boland to tour England and maybe Neser or Worrall as the swing bowler...not sure why Siddle is even in the test squad...I'd be trialing those fringe quicks vs the Sri Lankan's who are a very ordinary team and missing key players.

If we are to start winning Test matches, the selectors will have to start picking the best 12 (or 13) players and forget about who might do well in the next series or the one after that. 

Going for youth is code for "we don't know what we are doing!"  The youngsters need to get a good grounding in a re-vamped Sheffield Shield competition.  If CA invests in junior cricket, domestic competitions and the Shield, the Test team will look after itself, provided the selectors pick players on merit rather than potential, age and personality.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1882
Don't know how Siddle is in that squad... Bowls 130 tops,  and we have a log jam of pacemen who need exposure prior to the ashes.

Starc should consider himself bloody well blessed to still be in that squad.

Reply #1883
Simply stunning that Siddle is even in the picture....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1884
Simply stunning that Siddle is even in the picture....

Yes, amazing.

He's been a good honest bowler for us, but time has caught up now.

The younger quicks need a go now.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #1885
Yes, amazing.

He's been a good honest bowler for us, but time has caught up now.

The younger quicks need a go now.

If we're preparing for England, you've simply got to trial one or two young guys who swing/move the ball....

Siddle has never done that - for all his honesty.

Starc would be better served finding some form in the Shield surely?

Ditto Hazelwood for that matter.

Both could get two serious Shield games in that time (of the 2 Sri Lankan tests)....

(These) Selectors really have NFI I'm afraid.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #1886
....and refuse to pick Maxwell stating that he is to concentrate on short form cricket. Madness.

Reply #1887

I assume they'll take 5 quicks to England. With Starc (no certainty to actually play once Pattinson is fit), Cummins, Hazelwood and Pattinson certainties to tour it leaves one more.

Reply #1888
....and refuse to pick Maxwell stating that he is to concentrate on short form cricket. Madness.

Maxwell's non selection is all about politics, its a disgrace akin to Jamie Siddons non selection as a test player, if you are not popular and wont suck up to
the right people you wont be picked. Maxwell would be playing test cricket for most other nations....Travis Head is a handy cricketer but Maxwell would eat him alive for talent.
At 30 year of age though Maxwell probably wont get many more chances at test level  IMO....

Reply #1889
I assume they'll take 5 quicks to England. With Starc (no certainty to actually play once Pattinson is fit), Cummins, Hazelwood and Pattinson certainties to tour it leaves one more.

Like to think they would take a genuine swing bowler to play the Poms.....hope Pattinson can stand up, gun bowler when fit.....reminds me of Shane Bond from NZ, so good when he was playing but just couldnt stay fit.
Starc will play vs the Sri Lankans, their best batsman is the left handed opener and Starc had him 5 times out of 6 innings for under doubles figure every time in the last series that the Sri Lankans won...