Skip to main content
Topic: Really quiet around here (Read 4003 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Really quiet around here

Reply #15
I've pretty much written off this year now as a proper season and I certainly wouldn't be too interested in some kind of Mickey Mouse competition for the sake of filling tv programming and bringing in $s. In fact I'm becoming a little indifferent to things AFL as time passes and I've even turned off notifications from the AFL app which were starting to annoy me. I just hope my interest rekindles with the prospect of a full on season in 2021.  :-\
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #16
I've pretty much written off this year now as a proper season and I certainly wouldn't be too interested in some kind of Mickey Mouse competition for the sake of filling tv programming and bringing in $s. In fact I'm becoming a little indifferent to things AFL as time passes and I've even turned off notifications from the AFL app which were starting to annoy me. I just hope my interest rekindles with the prospect of a full on season in 2021.  :-\
 All the people calling for games, will be furious if one of their superstars get injured in a half-baked bogus season!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #17
There is some irony in fans supporting a Mickey Mouse season yet bagging AFLX, if the AFL do a sort of lightning premiership style competition what is the major difference between that and AFLX?

Surely the AFL has some obligation to maintain the integrity of the sport, not just it's bank balance!

This is my concern, we get some random lightning premiership type series and a bozo undeserving team like Essendon or North fluke a premiership.😒

Reply #18
All the people calling for games, will be furious if one of their superstars get injured in a half-baked bogus season!

Fluffy One... 'Mickey Mouse' is Gil's strong suit. He's your shallow glitz and fluff kinda guy... how else did we end up with that abomination, AFLX? He thinks entertainment and not gladiatorial contest - which is OUR game. A bona fide gladiatorial contest is magnificent entertainment... as is.

Hopefully he realises he doesn't have to root around with the game... just put it on, and we'll tune in. It's a magnificent game, as is. But I do expect the worst from this bloke.

I bet if he does root around with our game and it is a Mickey Mouse season NO CLUB will want to win the Premiership!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
Lets not kid around here. Gil's motivations, disney related or otherwise, are motivated towards keeping the competition from ceasing to exist.

Make no mistake, players want to play.
Fans want to watch.
The media want footy back to broadcast/write about.

Gil is ultimately in charge, sure, but its not like he is trying to do his own thing. Everyone wants this, he is simply trying to make it happen.

Reply #20
Any sort of round robin competition would only be to fill some space.
It shouldn't and couldn't be deemed a "premiership" for the winner.
Play it in that spirit and it would be OK.
Players would appreciate a run of sorts even if it was only for a half dozen games then into the off-season with a bit of match practice behind them.

The problem would be the draft.
That could possibly be solved by a lottery for positions from 2019.
Top half in one pool and bottom half in another.

Reply #21
Fluffy One... 'Mickey Mouse' is Gil's strong suit. He's your shallow glitz and fluff kinda guy... how else did we end up with that abomination, AFLX? He thinks entertainment and not gladiatorial contest - which is OUR game. A bona fide gladiatorial contest is magnificent entertainment... as is.

Hopefully he realises he doesn't have to root around with the game... just put it on, and we'll tune in. It's a magnificent game, as is. But I do expect the worst from this bloke.

I bet if he does root around with our game and it is a Mickey Mouse season NO CLUB will want to win the Premiership!

Just not interested in anything he says .... so that's a "yes" Baggers

Reply #22
Lets not kid around here. Gil's motivations, disney related or otherwise, are motivated towards keeping the competition from ceasing to exist.

Make no mistake, players want to play.
Fans want to watch.
The media want footy back to broadcast/write about.

Gil is ultimately in charge, sure, but its not like he is trying to do his own thing. Everyone wants this, he is simply trying to make it happen.

i tend to agree. 

and if we can get a 17 game season where every team plays each other once, then that's about as fair as it's ever going to be, and the premiership stands if you ask me.

anything less, and i find it hard to call it a season and a flag.  there can still be incentive though.  call it the covid cup or whateva, and put up nice cash prizes for the winningest clubs, and you watch them go for it.   as for the draft order in such circumstances, perhaps combine the results from 2019 and 2020 to get a draft order.

Reply #23
I appreciate Capcom’s thoughts!

I haven’t been around here a great deal as there doesn’t seem to be much point with no footy.  However, when I do drop by, it’s nice to see that the usual suspects are still contributing ... and the humour hasn’t improved  ;)

As to this season, I couldn’t give a fat rat’s clacker about how few games are played, when they’re played, where they’re played or what rules are tampered with.  If the mighty Navy Blue is on the park, I will be watching and supporting with all of my energy ... even if it’s a lightning premiership played midweek.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #24
There is some irony in fans supporting a Mickey Mouse season yet bagging AFLX, if the AFL do a sort of lightning premiership style competition what is the major difference between that and AFLX?

Surely the AFL has some obligation to maintain the integrity of the sport, not just it's bank balance!
It wont be Mickey Mouse or anything like that AFLX tripe. I can understand the AFL trying to claw back revenue. I dont think players or fans fully appreciate the ramifications of cancelling the season. "Cancel the season" is used rather flippantly by everyone (me included), I dont think we fully understand the ramifications nor would we like what it will look like on other side. I think the princesses (players) need to pull their heads in, HTFU and get on with it providing the AFL and clubs can provide a safe and bullet proof working environment for the season to proceed. They are carrying on like they are the first people in history to be asked to travel for work. They get paid truckloads by comparison to the average Joe Blow that has to spend extended periods away from family, get a grip.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #25
I think the princesses (players) need to pull their heads in, HTFU and get on with it providing the AFL and clubs can provide a safe and bullet proof working environment for the season to proceed. They are carrying on like they are the first people in history to be asked to travel for work. They get paid truckloads by comparison to the average Joe Blow that has to spend extended periods away from family, get a grip.
Agreed.

Many of us here on the forum have had to do extended stints away from home due to work, some due to service. Most people that have to do that do not earn at the same level as an AFL player.

There are 800 or so AFL players, and 80000 potential replacements if they don't like it!

As for the AFL, I'm sure they are probably concerned about things, in this order. Wallet, bonus, perception, family, friends, players then somewhere well down the long line the sport.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
Agreed.

Many of us here on the forum have had to do extended stints away from home due to work, some due to service. Most people that have to do that do not earn at the same level as an AFL player.

There are 800 or so AFL players, and 80000 potential replacements if they don't like it!

As for the AFL, I'm sure they are probably concerned about things, in this order. Wallet, bonus, perception, family, friends, players then somewhere well down the long line the sport.
McGuire made pretty clear last night on FC:
1. The Hub idea of 20 weeks locked away is an extreme presented by the AFL and not very likely.
2. The AFL is trying to claw back revenue as any business would as the situation is dire.
Players need to really understand the above and calm the farm. At times, AFL players come across as real dipcraps lead eloquently by the king of all dipcraps in FIGJAM Dangerfield.
I think Glock and co are extremely concerned about the sport and are doing everything possible to ensure it comes out the other side with some form of health and minimal casualties.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
You can't have a proper season with big name players missing. The big name players get paid regardless, Collingwood for example have several stars who have told Eddie they won't be playing in the hub format as it is now which means the pies chances of success would be limited so now you have both Mcguire and Buckley negative on the idea. Gilmac will need to improve the hub format idea and allow players access to their families and more time off or he will be playing with C grade teams missing big names.

Reply #28
You can't have a proper season with big name players missing. The big name players get paid regardless, Collingwood for example have several stars who have told Eddie they won't be playing in the hub format as it is now which means the pies chances of success would be limited so now you have both Mcguire and Buckley negative on the idea. Gilmac will need to improve the hub format idea and allow players access to their families and more time off or he will be playing with C grade teams missing big names.
I doubt you can put 700 players, WAGS and children, coaches, trainers, medicos and umpires, in the same concentrated location and expect them to adhere to quarantine regulations, it's unrealistic.

With that many people involved, even if there are two or three hubs, very soon within the first few days someone's mum, dad, brother or sister will fall ill and the thing will turn to shizen!

FMD, any of our navy friends can testify to just how many people move on or off a frigate, and that is about as isolated as you can get short of being submerged, wartime rules with a tenth of the people and yet people still get shipped off here and there! And these are people used to no communications, secrecy and little privacy, not some pleb earning a quid from social media blogging out of their bathroom or balcony, who can lock themselves away in their bedroom when some asswipe posts they are too fat!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
Thinking laterally.  Whilst this is a sport, this is people's careers, health, well being and livelihoods we are talking about.   Most of the Australia is "doing it tough" and making the most of it.  They do come accross like a very privlidged bunch, but I think about what normality looks like for them, and what the propsals would look like to anybody in the same position.

There wouldn't be one person alive who had that many rights eroded in one fell swoop who wouldnt complain about it.  These guys have a platform to complain about it, so we hear all about it.  I work in a hospital and plenty of people have behaved with similar level of "woe is me"ness.

Some have simply rolled their sleeves up and gotten on with the job.  Others have decided to pull up stumps, take their bat and their ball and work from home, and generally speaking the ones left behind are having a better time for it.

Let them work through these issues.  We are going to get a result that the majority of people are going to find something to be upset about irrespective of what these things are.

When push comes to shove, the most important thing in the forefront of everything is that the world is able to recover and get back to business.  Beyond that, everything else is hyperbole.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson