Skip to main content
Topic: Chris Yarran has gone backwards. (Read 116717 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chris Yarran has gone backwards.

Reply #225
I didnt think Yarran was AA standard but I did think he had great games (and not so great games) in 2011. For a third year player, I thought he showed enough to suggest he would become a very, veyr good player for us.

Reply #226
to understand Yarran, you have to go back a little. Rattan was a nurturing coach who offered encouragement with plenty of positive reinforcement, I saw that many times in the rooms and on the boundary. When someone like MM comes in, the change in coaching styles can be quite confronting (for some). some will adapt, some will not, some may need time. The reason why the pies flourished, is the whole list knew no better. I will never forget when MM first arrived, he mentioned he was surprised how introverted they were, maybe that word was a polite summation of where some are at now.
When Ratts was troubled with critics saying that he was too close or comfortable with the players. Bringing MM in was always going to fracture some. My frustration is I don't think many at the club thought this would happen

Great post! The same way Pagan came into the club with his one size fits all approach and if you can't hack it get out. It's almost as if Mick has got the CBFs, he's taking the lazy approach. Ratts was slowly starting to get the best out of Yazz (and it took some time). MM has managed to turn that to sht in the space of about 8 rounds. Kudos to him!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #227
Yarran is playing to the same standard as he did last year before Malthouse came to the club.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #228
Yarran is playing to the same standard as he did last year before Malthouse came to the club.

Another one liner (and negative karma)! You've convinced me!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #229
You still struggle to get your head around it. He went backwards last year, this year he's about the same.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #230
blah blah blah

On another note altogether, Mark Mclueless said that only Garlett would be left at the club next year of the Amigos. Fk me that guy is the biggest sht talker to get a gig in footy changes his mind every weekend. Carlton legend but please Sellers, shut your mouth, one can only contradict themselves so many times before they come across as a dipsht.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #231
I remember a purple patch last year or the year before that people were talking AA, but he never kept it up and dropped off. 

He has definitely gone backwards this year but so has many others.  When I mean backwards I mean has lost flare, run decision making.  Now that could be due to instructions by the coach as we know MM has very strict conditions when it comes to playing his gameplan.  I sense MM doesn't give them a lot latitude and hence there is a lot of propping and making what looks like poor decisions.

Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #232
Malthouse wouldn't be telling him to shirt contests and give up and not chase. Yarran's issues are his own issues. Friends of mine don't believe me when I say Yarran is probably the quickest at the club because they've probably never seen him sprint.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #233

Its really hard to argue with this.  I seem to recall about two matches last season that he was really good, and aside from that he made up the numbers last season.

The players that Ratten tried so hard to nurture are the entire reaason that he was sacked from the club.

On another note, PI2C, I seem to recall you having a go at Ratten and his treatment of Russell last season, and I agreed he should have gotten more time, but it just goes to show that all coaches can do this.  I think you can nurture youngsters until they are about mid 20's, and if they havent worked out that they need to start relying less on the nurturing and start doing it themselves, that they will quickly be abandoned, as the coach can only spend so much time with people who demand it and it should be the youngsters, as they need more guidance.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #234
Yarran first 3 games in 2012 were brilliant and up on output from 2011. He was then injured (turf toe wasn't it) and struggled to play under injury from rounds 4-12 until he had a week off. His remaining games for the season were all up to his 2011 standard other than the final game in round 23. Take out the games between rounds 4-12 and he was up on output compared to 2011. Plus you never really a fan from the start Thry you were in the Rich camp were you not? I could be wrong but you've always had doubts about him.

Stats are not the be all and end all but it shows his output was right up there with 2011 when fit.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-carlton-blues--christopher-yarran?year=2012

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #235
rd 4 this year played probably his best game for the club against the Eagles.

rd 5 tight hammy against the dees.

rd 6 tears it against the saints.

struggled since.

Sorry I forgot again injuries don't count this year.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #236
struggled since he was made sub and subsequently dropped.

Edited for accuracy. And if you don't believe that that was in fact the issue you are delusional.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #237
struggled since he was made sub and subsequently dropped.

Edited for accuracy. And if you don't believe that that was in fact the issue you are delusional.

I do believe it was an issue for Yarran but where we differ is you seem to accept his sulking like he had good reason to.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #238
Nah he should not have sulked but that wasn't played out in public was it? Malthouse criticised him in public though and pretty much pointed the finger at Yarran using him as a scapegoat for our loss to the scum. Yarran hasn't been the same since.

Malthouse is a hypocrite if he had any balls he would've dropped him last week after his awful efforts vs Freo but no Yazz kept his spot. To me that shows weakness from MM, almost an admittance that he went too far and if he dropped him again he was worried he'd never get him back. That's the way i see it anyway. How Yarran kept his spot for the Bulldogs game is beyond me.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #239
Yarran first 3 games in 2012 were brilliant and up on output from 2011. He was then injured (turf toe wasn't it) and struggled to play under injury from rounds 4-12 until he had a week off. His remaining games for the season were all up to his 2011 standard other than the final game in round 23. Take out the games between rounds 4-12 and he was up on output compared to 2011. Plus you never really a fan from the start Thry you were in the Rich camp were you not? I could be wrong but you've always had doubts about him.

Stats are not the be all and end all but it shows his output was right up there with 2011 when fit.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-carlton-blues--christopher-yarran?year=2012

Its not that I wasnt a fan, I saw Yarran as suplus to our needs at the team.  Now, that doesnt make me against Yarran.  Far from it.  I am happy he is here, but even back then he was doing well for a 3rd year player, and he is still doing well for a 3rd year player.  The trouble is, he is no longer a 3rd year player and should have improved further.

The Daniel Rich midfielder was a required player at the time because 1.  He was a bonafide midfield clearance winner, and 2.  His kicking ability on that left peg was beyond anything else we had at the club at the time.  Do you remember us moaning about our lack of kicking skill?  Yarran does help this, however Rich may have assisted in preventing Murphy, Carrazzo and Judd from copping the brunt of the battering over the last 2 years, because no one else has really put their hand up to get their hands dirty.

The main reason I was a Rich fan, was that he represented a high calibre performer right from the word go.  Something we did not have enough of.

The one I really wanted was Hurley.  The Key position player we were all crying out for got taken one pick before ours and even you have recently stated that we should have taken Ziebell.  That is no betrayel of Yarran, it simply looks at what our club really needs right now.  Some of us saw it at the time of the drafting that we lacked class in our midfield that is able to win a hard ball as well as provide us a bit of polish.

Now, I will back Yarran to improve.  He certainly does have the tools to improve, and I also back him to not leave the club, but we dont help Yarran by pandering to his 3rd year statistics and stating he is a really good performer for us.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-carlton-blues--christopher-yarran?year=2011

2011, round 19.  That is the level that he should be reaching more frequently, and that is the level that will even bring him to a level playing field with Daniel Rich.

Meanwhile, just on Rich:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pg-brisbane-lions--daniel-rich?year=2012

You have a look over his career, and his bad games are still reasonable, but is of the same frequency of Yarran's good games.  His good games are not behind Yarran's good games in terms of output in fact it could be argued that they are as good if not better, yet he hits that mark more frequently.

This doesnt make me feel better, or sleep well at night.  That perhaps our recruiters have once again picked the wrong type of player for us dead set irritates me, as I have had that knock on our recruiters.  Each draft selection however, is just one more thing in the rich tapestry of football that can make or break fortunes.  I.e.  We select Rich over Yarran, we win that final against Brisbane and push on to the second round of finals rather than losing in that final quarter.  Judd doesnt do the pressure point.  Ratten perhaps is under less pressure last season, or our midfield doesnt get smashed like it was.  Grigg plays Yarran's role rather than going to the Tigers...  You just never know how it all pans out differently.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson