Skip to main content
Topic: Rising Star 2017 Revisited (Read 3468 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rising Star 2017 Revisited

Reply #15
My understanding was that it was compression of the vertebrae, and in particular the discs between the vertebrae, that leads to loss of height as we age

Yes, and the body of each vertebra compresses over time as the articulating surfaces flare out.  Osteologists/physical anthropologists (me) use vertebral compression as one of several indicators of age at death.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Rising Star 2017

Reply #16
Yeah, thought the same. I guess we'll see.

Check out the photograph of Jack and Ben on the club website; if Jack is 194cm, Ben is 198cm!

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/gallery/2019-02-13/2019-portraits%20-Carlton#2283a64f475e8610VgnVCM100000722d030aRCRD

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
My understanding was that it was compression of the vertebrae, and in particular the discs between the vertebrae, that leads to loss of height as we age

That's one of a number of factors Jack, albeit an important one.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #18
Folk are taller when they first get out of bed.  Apparently, we lose 1cm over the course of the day (as your body weight compresses your vertebrae) and get it back as we sleep.

That explains why my gut looks bigger when I get home from a hard day at a busy MCG, from now on I can refer to it as "flaring under compression" from standing all afternoon!

That "Compression Flaring" gets you every time! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
Sounds like you have "gut awareness" LP

Reply #20
Sounds like you have "gut awareness" LP

Gut, butt, heart, lungs are all telling me something, the only thing lacking awareness is probably the brain! ;D
The Force Awakens!