Skip to main content
Topic: Round 9: Carlton vs. Sydney Post Game Pain (Read 62834 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 9: Carlton vs. Sydney Post Game Pain

Reply #45
He was terrible in 2012 up forward under Ratten. Mick put him down back in 2013 and he had his best year, then he dropped off. In summary he can't back up one good season with another.

Had his best year in 2011 kicking 56 goals. 2012, didn't play until round 5, so obviously he lost a bit of his pre-season. Lost quite a few games later in the year too. Games he did play he did pretty well. Didn't always play forward but still hit the scoreboard. Should've been kept up forward as his game went gradually backwards again down back as it had previously.

Reply #46
Walker came 2nd in the best and fairest in 2013 playing HBF.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #47
Walker started forward tonight and was hopeless.

Been out for a while and underdone. Hard work in our forward line even when your fit right now, unlike 2011 (remember who our coach was then???). Thank your mate for that problem, he's decimated our run and flair. What was once a strength is now a weakness. Without run your club goes no-where.

Reply #48
Walker came 2nd in the best and fairest in 2013 playing HBF.
And kicked 56 goals playing forward. Kicking 56 goals up forward is a much tougher task than playing half back.

Disintegrated since playing down back after that.

Reply #50
2012 happened.

It did, like many, he was injured early on and lost a pre-season. Part of a decimated side.

2015 is still happening. So bad the coach lost his job. At least when Ratts lost his job we were 11-10. Imagine being 11-10 with a decimated side, sooooooo far off it beyond the horizon. You'll kill for that right now.

Reply #51
Let's be honest for once.

We are cr@p.

The only real talent with a future in that team tonight was Cripps and he lacks leg speed.

Yes, Buckley is a goer, and I need to see more of Graham to gauge whether or not he has any real ability other than going into a pack and falling on the ball.

We don't have a forward line and we definitely don't have a back line, and my grand pappy used to tell me, that without those, "it's bloody hard to win a game son."

Menzel is a disappointment even when he's not injured and that is his problem. With knee reconstructions and bad shoulders, how long can he last at this caper.

Levi, was serviceable, and Sav has definitely improved his kicking. Jones and Tutt are complete waste of spaces. Another great recruiting job well done.

Thomas, can we get a refund please. Walker, completely gone. Forget about underdone, even when he's well done, he is no longer the player he was. The game is too quick and far to hard for him.

Wood, battled manfully against a taller stronger opponent and tried hard.

Bell, this bloke is built like a tank, but totally lacks skill. Dropped easy chest marks, and unlike Cripps whose hands are like super glue and the ball sticks, just kept dropping ball after ball tonight. He makes the same blues every week, and I don't know if he can get better. Yes, he's gutsy, and sometimes in a good team, it's enough. In our team, all the shortcomings are on full display.

Curnow, got absolutely smashed by Hannebery. It was obvious to me, anyway, that he had not recovered after the emotion of last weeks loss when he played his guts out against Sewell.

Henderson. PLEASE DO NOT RESIGN HIM!!. I HEARD THAT HE WANTS TO LEAVE, BUT THE WAY HE IS PLAYING, HE WON"T GET A CLUB TO TAKE HIM. HE CANNOT TAKE A CONTESTED MARK TO SAVE HIS LIFE. It is quite obvious that his heart is just not in it.

Carazzo, lots of possys as usual. I can't think of one time when anything he did or any possession that he had, had an influence on our team or resulted in something good happening.

Armfield, a brainless hack, always was, always will be.

Yarran, the less said the better. As long as the ball is fed to him and he can show off, he's happy.  But you can't get him to tackle, or chase after an opponent.

Simpson, usual trying hard job, but at end of career.

Rowe. No comment, except to say that every time he goes near the ball I need a change of nappies. At least I used to when it really mattered. Now it doesn't matter anymore, so I'm saving a fortune on nappies. The fact that this man with such limited ability, a total lack of a football brain, whose second efforts are non-existent, is said to be by some our best player tonight, is all you need to know about where this team is headed unless major changes are made.

Touhy, not a brain to bless himself with. Overrated because he is a long kick. Would not get a game in any top team.

White, a battler.

Docherty, would be good in a good team. Has got ability, still young and will improve if we ever do.

Once again, it absolutely gave me the shiiites that we did not have a set forward line. By that I mean, that Barker did not give instructions to two of his forwards to stay in the forward line AT ALL TIMES. So as per usual, we would get the ball, look up, and there was no one in the forward line to kick it to.

I would have copped a 20 goal defeat, if Barker could have shown just a bit of flair with his game plan.

Longmire had Rampe as a spare man in defence for a lot of the game, and Barker did nothing to counter it.

Cr@p typical Malthouse thinking and coaching.

Anyway, as I said, we are cr@p. Yes, they tried hard, but you blokes have conveniently forgotten that they are paid in some cases up to 6 and 7 times more a year than the posters on this site get. THEY SHOULD BE AT LEAST FKING TRYING!!

And because most of you are so easy to please, you say, look at that, we had more tackles than last week. Yipee!!.

We are in for a long rest of the year.
So sit back, relax, and just count down the weeks until we can forget about this year, and look forward to HOPEFULLY, some improvement next year.

Reply #52
The game was over after Buddy kicked his 3rd goal in the first 15 minutes on White. What were we thinking there?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #53
In the end they had 10 more scoring shots, all goals. Could have quite easily been 5.5 and we lose by 35 points. Massive improvement in attitude, can't wait for the rest of the year! Haters EAD!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #54
When you take into consideration :

- our outs
- traveling interstate
- playing a top 4 team, at pretty much full strength on their own dung heap
- the turmoil of the last 2 weeks.
- new coach for 2 or 3 days
- pre match predictions that we would lose by 100+

It was better than anyone expected. No doubt people will say the Swans took their foot off the pedal, and maybe they did. Nice to see a bit of effort.

Reply #55

- our outs
- traveling interstate

It was better than anyone expected. No doubt people will say the Swans took their foot off the pedal, and maybe they did. Nice to see a bit of effort.

Agree, our blokes toughed it out and showed the spirit we were all demanding from them. That's something to build on. We just lack skill and class in enough measure. We have a long road ahead of us for sure but if we develop around our better younger players led by Cripps and we can add in more skilled ones via the trade and draft period things could definitely start looking up a bit next year. It's also critical to retain a few of the right senior guys to add some stability during the transition, Simmo and Rowe being two examples.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #56
It is great to show effort but I want to see effort in a game plan instead of just continually winging it.

It was late in the game but I liked it when we broke from the centre fast and quickly passed it to a leading forward who goaled. it looked great and simple. ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #57
The game was over after Buddy kicked his 3rd goal in the first 15 minutes on White. What were we thinking there?

I'm guessing the idea was that White is more mobile than Rowe, Buddy is more mobile than Tippett, hence the match ups at the start of the game.

Sometimes match ups aren't ideal. In our case it was the lesser of two evils. Match ups are also speculative at times. They had a go, White wasn't working on Buddy, so they switched.

We simply don't have the required manpower to create ideal match ups on every line every second of the game. Swinging Henderson from forward to back, switching Rowe and White etc. solves one problem but creates another.

EDIT : I would also suggest the game was over well before it even started, but that's just my opinion.

Reply #58

- our outs
- traveling interstate

Agree. No one is happy with a 10 goal loss but considering where we're at and who took the field last night and who our opponents were, I thought there were good signs.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #59
Once again, it absolutely gave me the shiiites that we did not have a set forward line. By that I mean, that Barker did not give instructions to two of his forwards to stay in the forward line AT ALL TIMES. So as per usual, we would get the ball, look up, and there was no one in the forward line to kick it to.

I would have copped a 20 goal defeat, if Barker could have shown just a bit of flair with his game plan.

Longmire had Rampe as a spare man in defence for a lot of the game, and Barker did nothing to counter it.

Cr@p typical Malthouse thinking and coaching.

It concerns me greatly that Barker said in his aftermatch presser that he'd spoken with Malthouse twice later in the week after his sacking. I would hate to think that the guy we sacked is actually mentoring his replacement.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!