Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 4 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 2634 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 4 2024 Post Game Prognostications Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #30
There is footage from up the ground taken from a phone that shows the ball deflect off Aish's upper arm. In any case, as you said a couple of their 6 frees resulting in goals from the top of the square (the Kemp one I recall) were flat out wrong. We gave away a couple of silly ones trying to take on the tackler deep in defence so they were there. They could not have played any better and we pretty much stayed with them all day. Did we steal the win? Probably. Swings and roundabouts.

I'm not sure that you could rely on phone camera footage from the length of the ground.  The Freo players were claiming that the ball touched Aish's head, Fyfe claimed that he had touched the ball off George's boot and the TV commentators thought that the ball could have brushed Aish's hair.  Either way, umpires often miss touched balls that are more obvious than that one and it goes some way towards making up for some of the dodgy frees Freo got. 

The thing is that we kept our numbers around the contest while Freo players were waiting for a handball receive and left Fyfe trying to beat four players.  Cripps did what he so often does and Williams capped it off with a touch of brilliance and daring and an equally brilliant effort from Charlie to mark and goal.  Then, after two drawn ball ups, Cripps sent De Koning away and sucked Jackson into an attacking hitout that ended up with Hewett - game over!  Cottrell's fundamental forward work - play in front - was critical too.  You make your own luck in footy!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #31
I'm not sure that you could rely on phone camera footage from the length of the ground.  The Freo players were claiming that the ball touched Aish's head, Fyfe claimed that he had touched the ball off George's boot and the TV commentators thought that the ball could have brushed Aish's hair.  Either way, umpires often miss touched balls that are more obvious than that one and it goes some way towards making up for some of the dodgy frees Freo got.
Agreed, stuff like that is missed all the time, players can barely hear each other shouting let along for an umpire to detect a snick of the footy in real-time play, it happens all the time. btw., The Freo protest is valid, in the 4K x 100Hz slow motion it shows the ball flick Aish's bicep which ripples from the contact, and it also possibly flicks his hair but that could well be the breeze as the pill flys past.

Are we really going to expect umpires to detect that sort of incidental contact?

Regardless, to then stupidly abuse the umpire you get what you deserve.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
There is footage from up the ground taken from a phone that shows the ball deflect off Aish's upper arm. In any case, as you said a couple of their 6 frees resulting in goals from the top of the square (the Kemp one I recall) were flat out wrong. We gave away a couple of silly ones trying to take on the tackler deep in defence so they were there. They could not have played any better and we pretty much stayed with them all day. Did we steal the win? Probably. Swings and roundabouts.

I don't think we 'stole' it. When push came to shove at the death knell, the more disciplined side won. In the final analysis, both sides were very disciplined, just one a whisker more than the other... or... one just a whisker less at a critical stage.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #33

The thing is that we kept our numbers around the contest while Freo players were waiting for a handball receive and left Fyfe trying to beat four players.  Cripps did what he so often does and Williams capped it off with a touch of brilliance and daring and an equally brilliant effort from Charlie to mark and goal.  Then, after two drawn ball ups, Cripps sent De Koning away and sucked Jackson into an attacking hitout that ended up with Hewett - game over!  Cottrell's fundamental forward work - play in front - was critical too.  You make your own luck in footy!
I'm more than comfortable in calling a spade a spade with the benefit of hindsight (replays that are official or otherwise) and say it was touched (on Aish's arm). Having said that, there is no way in hell an umpire would see that or call it so play on was the correct call. As for calling the ump a cheat, if true you're gone for dissent every day of the week and twice on Sundays so fair call for that also.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #34
I don't think we 'stole' it. When push came to shove at the death knell, the more disciplined side won. In the final analysis, both sides were very disciplined, just one a whisker more than the other... or... one just a whisker less at a critical stage.
Call it whatever you want mate, in my book when you lead for only 12min 53s and the other mob has led for 94min 43s, you've stolen it. But its a good thing, it shows character (the right stuff).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #35
You often see the ball brush a hand or arm of a player then is marked properly by their opponent, everyone accepts thats a mark around the ground, we only have this hoo haa because of the state of the game and the resulting goal.
Freo lost the game fair and square and only have themselves to blame, as others have said they were probably the better team on the day and its stings losing like that but good teams find a way to win and non contenders like Freo find ways to lose.

Reply #36
Firstly, Freo played very well, secondly Carlton did not give up, thirdly if the game is going to be determined by whether a ball brushed the hair of a defender or not then the  Tommy Alvin hair style must become compulsory for back men, and finally the Freo players gave up and clearly didn't believe they could win the centre clearance and win the game and that is why they lost. Winners win because they win, losers lose because they lose.
TDK clearly beat Jackson, for all the possessions the Freo midfield accumulated they never really dominated the game and Carlton can get better but I am not sure Freo can.
It is becoming a wild ride to follow Carlton atm but the never say die was a hallmark of the Barassi and Jezza sides of the 60's and 70's. This could become the trademark of the Voss side.

Reply #37
non contenders like Freo find ways to lose.
And haven't we been guilty of that over the years, it's so pleasing that we are finding was to win as opposed to finding ways to lose.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #38
The umps got one wrong?? That's football folks. Can't review every decision.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39
As for the Fog incident, I no longer think it can be a fine after looking at the criteria, he will miss a week or 2.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #40
In 2022 we missed the finals by a point with 2 questionable blocks paid against us in the final quarter of the season. No one cried for us then so stuff them.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #41
You often see the ball brush a hand or arm of a player then is marked properly by their opponent, everyone accepts thats a mark around the ground, we only have this hoo haa because of the state of the game and the resulting goal.
Freo lost the game fair and square and only have themselves to blame, as others have said they were probably the better team on the day and its stings losing like that but good teams find a way to win and non contenders like Freo find ways to lose.

x2

Reply #42
As for the Fog incident, I no longer think it can be a fine after looking at the criteria, he will miss a week or 2.

Careless, medium impact to the body; fine at most.

Vossy dismissed it as two players going for the ball and he's usually careful not to comment on MRO matters ... but then there's the Plowman suspension  :-\

I'm more concerned about Fog's wrist.  He seemed to be concerned about it after the collision and I wouldn't be surprised if he's fractured his scaphoid.  Fingers crossed that he's OK.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #43
Agreed, stuff like that is missed all the time, players can barely hear each other shouting let along for an umpire to detect a snick of the footy in real-time play, it happens all the time. btw., The Freo protest is valid, in the 4K x 100Hz slow motion it shows the ball flick Aish's bicep which ripples from the contact, and it also possibly flicks his hair but that could well be the breeze as the pill flys past.

Are we really going to expect umpires to detect that sort of incidental contact?

Regardless, to then stupidly abuse the umpire you get what you deserve.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Umpires, for various and obvious reasons will miss what a slow-mo camera picks up. That's the system. Players, umpires, and the ARC. The latter having a defined role.

Cottrell's goal sealed the game with seconds left on the clock. The touch wasn't called based on the system we have. Push on.

The Matt Kennedy free was awarded based on all umpires consulting. If the player's action was deemed a free, then so be it. We can't ask for much more than that from the umpires. I expect the offender will find himself doing some soul searching over his actions. IF it was deemed serious end umpire abuse, then the system has a mechanism for that too.

In the end, we stuck to our guns and kept our shape and composure at a critical time. Freo did not, but played very well for the remainder of the game. Moments. Games can be won and lost in Moments. We're growing our group to be the Masters of Moments and I love that!

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #44
Careless, medium impact to the body; fine at most.

Vossy dismissed it as two players going for the ball and he's usually careful not to comment on MRO matters ... but then there's the Plowman suspension  :-\

I'm more concerned about Fog's wrist.  He seemed to be concerned about it after the collision and I wouldn't be surprised if he's fractured his scaphoid.  Fingers crossed that he's OK.
Ive read that under the the rules, neck is high (not body).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th