Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 9: Carlton vs. GWS (Read 23004 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 9: Carlton vs. GWS

Reply #165
The club didn't defend Ratten in the spotlight of a media barrage of weasel words, twisted facts and spin, and it's doing the very same to BB right now!

A lot has changed, but a big chunk hasn't, it's not the coach that needs changing because any coach we get in will suffer the same fate!

Makes you think who is actually the project manager/director of the rebuild?? Is it being run as a project? It is not clear to me when I think about it. It was conceived, designed and authorised before the arrival of BB (he was brought on staff to be one of the implementers, as head coach) but by who? SOS has been publicly identified as another key player, as Head of Recruitement/List Manager. What exactly is Liddle's role in it? Who is the project director, if there is one?? The Judge?  Does the board act in this role? We know our team is not winning but are there many other factors in play here apart from BB's coaching? How are they being managed? It seems very murky to me.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #166
The club still had a far more successful period under Ratten, so you have to say moving Pagan on was a success.

By selling the future to get access to the best player in the game who walked in and set standards our club was miles behind setting.

Remember the story of Judd ordering salad whilst everyone else ordered fish and chips?

We had no idea then, stuffed ratten when we probably should have given him his 5th year, and then found out he was probably the only thing working at the time.

I'm yet to concede that pagan was sacked fairly in the face of what he had to work with too, and perhaps we wouldn't be in this mess if we hadn't.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #167
Makes you think who is actually the project manager/director of the rebuild?? Is it being run as a project? It is not clear to me when I think about it. It was conceived, designed and authorised before the arrival of BB (he was brought on staff to be one of the implementers, as head coach) but by who? SOS has been publicly identified as another key player, as Head of Recruitement/List Manager. What exactly is Liddle's role in it? Who is the project director, if there is one?? The Judge?  Does the board act in this role? We know our team is not winning but are there many other factors in play here apart from BB's coaching? How are they being managed? It seems very murky to me.

From what we've been able to gather, there was a meeting of "influential figures" around the beginning of 2014 that decided on the rebuild approach.
So at a club level it was probably MLG, Trigg, maybe McKay
SOS was targeted as the list manager (although he may have had some input prior to that) and then the coach was appointed.

The framework and direction was set before Bolton came on board.
Bolton was probably happy with the senior opportunity....but we'll never know how he would have progressed things given a free reign.

Strangely enough we were even discussing a rebuild on this forum all through the early part of 2014, so it was in the wind even back then....a year before it was official.

Reply #168
From what we've been able to gather, there was a meeting of "influential figures" around the beginning of 2014 that decided on the rebuild approach.
So at a club level it was probably MLG, Trigg, maybe McKay
SOS was targeted as the list manager (although he may have had some input prior to that) and then the coach was appointed.

The framework and direction was set before Bolton came on board.
Bolton was probably happy with the senior opportunity....but we'll never know how he would have progressed things given a free reign.

Strangely enough we were even discussing a rebuild on this forum all through the early part of 2014, so it was in the wind even back then....a year before it was official.

Bolton qualified well for the job, was developing young talent at Hawthorn who are a successful club, teacher...kids are his go in terms of coaching.
Anyone could have coached the Hawks for the 5 games he had them so that doesnt factor in IMO.
Unknowns were his tactical game day nous, ability to construct a brand/game style and develop leaders...jury out on all three IMHO.
Another job IMHO he has is to reduce the unhealthy reliance on Cripps.

Reply #169
Bolton qualified well for the job, was developing young talent at Hawthorn who are a successful club, teacher...kids are his go in terms of coaching.
Anyone could have coached the Hawks for the 5 games he had them so that doesnt factor in IMO.
Unknowns were his tactical game day nous, ability to construct a brand/game style and develop leaders...jury out on all three IMHO.
Another job IMHO he has is to reduce the unhealthy reliance on Cripps.

Couple of things re. Bolton....

Nobody came with him. Goodwin joined Melbourne - Melksham / Hibberd came across after him. No assistant coach or player joined him (as far as I remember). David Teague has a better track record of pulling blokes across with him.

Also - how much gravitas / pull does he have with attracting experienced players to the club? I'm thinking not much.

Reply #170
Couple of things re. Bolton....

Nobody came with him. Goodwin joined Melbourne - Melksham / Hibberd came across after him. No assistant coach or player joined him (as far as I remember). David Teague has a better track record of pulling blokes across with him.

Also - how much gravitas / pull does he have with attracting experienced players to the club? I'm thinking not much.

Fair points...I was always surprised we never had any Hawthorn fringe players cross to us, its like he had an agreement with Clarkson that when
he was allowed to leave it was on the basis he couldnt poach any players.

Reply #171
Fair points...I was always surprised we never had any Hawthorn fringe players cross to us, its like he had an agreement with Clarkson that when
he was allowed to leave it was on the basis he couldnt poach any players.
we've got John o'Rourke and the terrier with us in varying capacities.

Does that count for anything??

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #172
we've got John o'Rourke and the terrier with us in varying capacities.

Does that count for anything??

ORourke is a spud and JR probably needs another pre-season with the players to judge his work.