Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 30139 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion AFL Rd 10: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #105
My highlight from today's game.
The guernsey. Sensational. At times our skill errors were disguised ???? by it's flashiness.
Congratulations to all involved in it's creation.
Would love to see our Indigenous Guernsey worn as our away strip.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #106
I'm really worried about McGovern. When I go to games I like to pick a player and focus on him. Today was McGovern. I know he did his ankle in the last quarter, but up until then he was genuinely aweful. His workrate off the ball was terrible. He just doesn't work hard at all whne the opppostion have the ball, and they looked they they were specifically working the ball through the area that he was defending because they knew he wouldn't do anything to stop them moving the ball through that part of the ground. Very concerning

David Parkin on the wireless said similar. Said Gov will kick 3 goals in 3 minutes, and then will be unsighted for the rest of the match.

Now Parko would be a fantastic mentor for Bolts.

Reply #107
I'm really worried about McGovern. When I go to games I like to pick a player and focus on him. Today was McGovern. I know he did his ankle in the last quarter, but up until then he was genuinely aweful. His workrate off the ball was terrible. He just doesn't work hard at all whne the opppostion have the ball, and they looked they they were specifically working the ball through the area that he was defending because they knew he wouldn't do anything to stop them moving the ball through that part of the ground. Very concerning

Fair observation, ok our forward entries dont help but he hasnt worked hard enough IMO and been disappointing.
Bit harder to get a kick with us than the Crows and his work rate hasnt adjusted.
I'm not sold on McGovern, Harry and Charlie all being down forward every game, we always look congested, top heavy and they struggle to find space.
We badly lack that class mid sized finisher with some X factor like a Chad Wingard(when in form) or Jayden Stephenson who has that raw pace and happy knack of finding the ball
near goal.

Reply #108
Went to the game today and not many possitives to take away at all apart from the usual suspects (Cripps, Kreuzer, Walsh and a couple of others)
My summary;
* Game plan ( is there one? ) a mess. Poor positioning at stoppages, lack of spread when we get the ball out, zone not working - Saints often with loose players everywhere when we turn it over (which is often), bomb to forwards who, with 3-4 talls were often out of position.
* Skills terrible, appear to have gone backwards this year if that is possible. SPS worst offender as highlighted in last 5 mins when he picked out a Saints player 20m away whilst in the clear and under no pressure!
* Confidence shot. We look like chooks without heads, no system or teamwork.
* 1 percenters don't exist for us. How many shephards, blocks, tap ons etc did you see today? (Kreuz excepted)
We are going nowhere fast and something has to give. As a 30+ year member, I can't take any more of this crap we are dishing up.

Reply #109
Fair observation, ok our forward entries dont help but he hasnt worked hard enough IMO and been disappointing.
Bit harder to get a kick with us than the Crows and his work rate hasnt adjusted.
I'm not sold on McGovern, Harry and Charlie all being down forward every game, we always look congested, top heavy and they struggle to find space.
We badly lack that class mid sized finisher with some X factor like a Chad Wingard(when in form) or Jayden Stephenson who has that raw pace and happy knack of finding the ball
near goal.

You're looking at specifics EB, that's too miss the point.

Why so many of our lot looking listless, disinterested and playing accordingly?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #110
You're looking at specifics EB, that's too miss the point.

Why so many of our lot looking listless, disinterested and playing accordingly?

You do the above when you are used to losing and motivation falls away, we got off to a good start
on the back of Cripps then they got in front and some of our blokes thought close enough is good enough
and yep thats a coaching issue.
I only commented on McGovern because Jack raised his name but we didnt have any real winners today and only a few break evens.
Kerr, Deluca(if drafted) in this week....
I'd be trying positional changes too...Newman on a wing, Kennedy half back flank etc etc

Reply #111
I think it's time to bring Kerr in, but he and McKay play similar roles, so they'll have to work that out. I'd like to see both C Curnow and McKay play much higher up the ground and give Kerr space inside 50, but of course the opposition will be working to make sure that doesn't happen

Reply #112
We simply need time.

Time for our youngsters to truly grow into their bodies.

Time played together to know each others strengths and weaknesses.

Time for our youngsters to become seasoned competitors.

Time for them to build belief in their abilities.

Time playing to the same game plan so the kids know what to do on game day.

Time doing it so they can learn when to stick to the plan and when to deviate.

I'm firmly of the belief that our coaches know more about the game than we do, and that where we see a player taking us apart and we wonder why he isnt being tagged, our coaches are wondering where his opponent is, and why he's let him run free.

Ever wondered why we constantly seem out numbered?  The answer is simple.  Too many aren't working up and down hard enough for long enough.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #113
You do the above when you are used to losing and motivation falls away, we got off to a good start
on the back of Cripps then they got in front and some of our blokes thought close enough is good enough
and yep thats a coaching issue.
I only commented on McGovern because Jack raised his name but we didnt have any real winners today and only a few break evens.
Kerr, Deluca(if drafted) in this week....
I'd be trying positional changes too...Newman on a wing, Kennedy half back flank etc etc

ps I agree with you on the Guv.

He needs a rocket or time in the 2s...

Bolton needs to reward guys in the 2s who show something, anything - and dump names in the 1s if they're not getting a job done (which is pretty much everyone bar Cripps).
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #114
We simply need time.

Time for our youngsters to truly grow into their bodies.

Time played together to know each others strengths and weaknesses.

Time for our youngsters to become seasoned competitors.

Time for them to build belief in their abilities.

Time playing to the same game plan so the kids know what to do on game day.

Time doing it so they can learn when to stick to the plan and when to deviate.

I'm firmly of the belief that our coaches know more about the game than we do, and that where we see a player taking us apart and we wonder why he isnt being tagged, our coaches are wondering where his opponent is, and why he's let him run free.

Ever wondered why we constantly seem out numbered?  The answer is simple.  Too many aren't working up and down hard enough for long enough.

Time is the key.
The way this rebuild was structured injected an element of 'time' that gave an extra period for developing the list that would not usually have been sustainable.
That reduced the normal pressures on administration, list managers and coaches.
They were given longer than others in the past.
Very smart, very well sold.
But time can also be very fickle and there comes a point when it no longer works in your favour and counts against you (It's taking too long, You've had enough time.)

The longer it then takes the greater the pressure grows.
It grows quickly once it really starts to impact.
And the greater the pressure grows the more likely there will be change.

While individual supporters may maintain a faith until the end, those with the actual responsibility for administering the process will be the ones under the pump.
If every one of these holds their nerve in two or three years time we may have a good mid-aged competitive list.
In fact I'm pretty certain we will anyway...the question is 'how good' and 'how sustainable'?
And to believe all the current personnel will still be in place in their current roles just seems unrealistic.

Reply #115
People are seeing it now....MacGovern is either a bludger,  or he conserves energy by not putting in,  which suggests no tank.  So hard questions need to be asked. He certainly isn't earning his cheque.

Never been sold on him either,  only ever plays five minutes a game,  then isn't sighted.   But he has a lot if mates in that regard.

DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #116
People are seeing it now....MacGovern is either a bludger,  or he conserves energy by not putting in,  which suggests no tank.  So hard questions need to be asked. He certainly isn't earning his cheque.

Never been sold on him either,  only ever plays five minutes a game,  then isn't sighted.   But he has a lot if mates in that regard.

And yet, with a functional midfield, he'd likely be good for 4-5 goals a game....

Maybe he's just realised what a basket case he's walked into...?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #117
Time is the key.
The way this rebuild was structured injected an element of 'time' that gave an extra period for developing the list that would not usually have been sustainable.
That reduced the normal pressures on administration, list managers and coaches.
They were given longer than others in the past.
Very smart, very well sold.
But time can also be very fickle and there comes a point when it no longer works in your favour and counts against you (It's taking too long, You've had enough time.)

The longer it then takes the greater the pressure grows.
It grows quickly once it really starts to impact.
And the greater the pressure grows the more likely there will be change.

While individual supporters may maintain a faith until the end, those with the actual responsibility for administering the process will be the ones under the pump.
If every one of these holds their nerve in two or three years time we may have a good mid-aged competitive list.
In fact I'm pretty certain we will anyway...the question is 'how good' and 'how sustainable'?
And to believe all the current personnel will still be in place in their current roles just seems unrealistic.

I don't disagree lods.

In the words of bon Jovi we are halfway there and living on a prayer.

The thing is, it's not until the kids are the seasoned competitors (with or without cripps and docherty) that the rebuild will have achieved what it was supposed to. 

Look at this line up:

Williamson--------weitering‐----------Plowman

Marchbank‐-------macreadie‐--------stocker

Sps‐--------------------setterfield------------fisher

McGovern‐----------Curnow-------------cunningham

Salvagni--------------mckay---------------polson

De koning-----------dow----------------walsh

Int:  o'Brien, cripps, docherty, Pickett

Get 75 games average into that starting 18 and that's when the rebuild will show it's worth.

Paul Hewson

Reply #118

Had that back injury in pre season and we haven't seen his best since.

I said it back in January.  Ditto kreuzer and probably a few others.

Paul Hewson

Reply #119
Oh no.

This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.