Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton End Alignment With Northern Blues. (Read 4668 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton End Alignment With Northern Blues.

Reply #1
This doesn't make sense at all, unless we are thinking of a Carlton VFL team in the future!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Honestly, as terrible as this is for all associated with the Northern Blues, this could actually be the best thing to come out of this fiasco for the club. A long overdue move, just a shame it’s had to come under these circumstances.

Reply #4
Supported Preston in the VFA so a pity to see them now cease to exist. Anyway, Carlton is a pretty good replacement!

Reply #5
Also having history with Preston, I'm not sure what this will mean for this grand old club.  Once again the Northern suburbs cop it.

If the rumours of a standalone club in the VFL/A/whateveritscalled are true,  where the heck are we going to get enough players to field a competitive side at that level?  Preston can strip the knights and the old  DVFL, but Carlton has a limited list.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #6
Rumors of lots of stuff going down behind the scenes, it looks like this interruption is going to be the catalyst or excuse for all sorts of changes to the game whether we like them or not, maybe it will be quite an unfamiliar game when it returns at least in the way it's managed, coached and traded.

Seems a lot of it isn't just about COVID-19 but the AFLs desire to reduce the costs of being an AFL club making them all more profitable. One thing is players might get their wish for the shorter games they have been pushing for, but at significantly lower wage.

My dad always said, be careful what you wish for!

Other things being floated, extended lists, reserves/unders competition(Shorter games with a curtain raiser!), more player trades, reduced coaches/runners/trainers, sub-contract players or even full free agency, etc., etc..

It sounds like some clubs are asking for a setup that allows players to be freely traded from lower leagues into the AFL mid-season, whenever, like a feeder competition that is outside the draft. In much the same way Premier League team might freely trade for a player from a lower division.

There are rumors that two Melbourne club's are borderline on going to the wall, to potentially be relocated to Tassie and NT.

One of the most radical proposals relates to the draw, they are talking about clustering fixtures so that when club's travel interstate they complete a host of games before returning to greatly reduce travel. To do this the AFL has to commit to decentralized / shared facilities. For example we go to Perth, stay there and play Freo and Wet Toast in consecutive rounds then return. Apparently this slashes the amount of overall travel.

I wonder how badly we are hurting given that Pokies, even if they eventually re-open, are now as palatable as toxic waste dumps?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
Supported Preston in the VFA so a pity to see them now cease to exist. Anyway, Carlton is a pretty good replacement!

Ditto, nothing like watching Len Clark, Peter Weightman, David Dickson etc doing their thing in Red...as NavyM  suggested this might lead to something better long term and I have always been a fan of a standalone Blues lineup in the VFL.
Bit sad to see Fraser and other's lose jobs, these are tough times and hope they can find some other footy employment when things settle.

Reply #8
Rumors of lots of stuff going down behind the scenes, it looks like this interruption is going to be the catalyst or excuse for all sorts of changes to the game whether we like them or not, maybe it will be quite an unfamiliar game when it returns at least in the way it's managed, coached and traded.

Seems a lot of it isn't just about COVID-19 but the AFLs desire to reduce the costs of being an AFL club making them all more profitable. One thing is players might get their wish for the shorter games they have been pushing for, but at significantly lower wage.

My dad always said, be careful what you wish for!

Other things being floated, extended lists, reserves/unders competition(Shorter games with a curtain raiser!), more player trades, reduced coaches/runners/trainers, sub-contract players or even full free agency, etc., etc..

It sounds like some clubs are asking for a setup that allows players to be freely traded from lower leagues into the AFL mid-season, whenever, like a feeder competition that is outside the draft. In much the same way Premier League team might freely trade for a player from a lower division.

There are rumors that two Melbourne club's are borderline on going to the wall, to potentially be relocated to Tassie and NT.

One of the most radical proposals relates to the draw, they are talking about clustering fixtures so that when club's travel interstate they complete a host of games before returning to greatly reduce travel. To do this the AFL has to commit to decentralized / shared facilities. For example we go to Perth, stay there and play Freo and Wet Toast in consecutive rounds then return. Apparently this slashes the amount of overall travel.

I wonder how badly we are hurting given that Pokies, even if they eventually re-open, are now as palatable as toxic waste dumps?

Not sure i like the double-up games as an option. Unless you do that every year (which equates to WAY more travel) there would be years where you don't travel to a state at all. The whole thing is counter-productive to what the AFL has been trying to achieve - each team in each state, each year.

As for the changing of lists....
Something i've been pushing for a long time is more freedom with lists, just like the NFL.
A player gets injured, he goes onto a list - Another player comes on immediately.
A player has mental health issues, he goes onto another list - A player comes on immediately.
A player not performing up to standard, sack him - a replacement player comes on immediately, who you can sack 2 days later if you wish.
Have injuries to your entire ruck list, add 2 rucks. They come back, sack those 2 rucks.

Keep the same amount of list sizes that you do now, but don't have them fixed at ANY POINT in the season. That way you ALWAYS have cover for injuries, suspensions, illness, bad luck.

Of course, alternatively....
You bring back the reserves (for all) and extend the senior list sizes to cover both and allow your reserves to 'top up' as required.

As for which teams are left.
If you don't trim the fat now, you never will.
Saints? -> Tassie. = Southern Saints
Kangas? -> NT = Northern Kangaroos
Dogs -> WA = Western Bulldogs

That will leave us with....
2xQLD
2xNSW
2xSA
3xWA - AFL see a 3rd team in WA as a viable option
1xNT
1xTassie
7xVIC (6 melb + 1 geel)

That will leave the 'big 4' and Dees+Hawks. As the melbourne teams, which are clearly the most successful of all the melbourne teams. Keeping the majority of the history in tact.

I think thats a much more sustainable model.
In the future we can add another SA team, and wherever else the game is growing the most can get the 20th team. Fixturing then becomes a lot easier.

Reply #9
What a mess! It is one thing to 'end the alignment', but it is another to destroy the structure of an existing team.
We really need an independent 2nds team in the future, but to bee forced into a divorce like this is not the way it should happen.

I wonder what happens now?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
Ditto, nothing like watching Len Clark, Peter Weightman, David Dickson etc doing their thing in Red...as NavyM  suggested this might lead to something better long term and I have always been a fan of a standalone Blues lineup in the VFL.
Bit sad to see Fraser and other's lose jobs, these are tough times and hope they can find some other footy employment when things settle.

Ray Shaw, Doc Reid ... still have my player worn bullants jumper from 1980.  To me it's priceless

Reply #11
One of a raft of changes coming up due to the CV crisis, list numbers, coaching numbers (soft cap reduction), admin staff numbers (recruiting will be one of the hardest hit). As for the game, the 16 min qtrs will be here to stay.  
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #12
One of a raft of changes coming up due to the CV crisis, list numbers, coaching numbers (soft cap reduction), admin staff numbers (recruiting will be one of the hardest hit). As for the game, the 16 min qtrs will be here to stay. 
In my opinion that is going to have a huge effect on drafting and team tactics, slower players, guys who battle on with strength, power and endurance are going to be greatly disadvantaged. These are guys who regularly come good towards the end of quarters like Cripps and Pendlebury.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
In my opinion that is going to have a huge effect on drafting and team tactics, slower players, guys who battle on with strength, power and endurance are going to be greatly disadvantaged. These are guys who regularly come good towards the end of quarters like Cripps and Pendlebury.
Its a return to the good old days (thank fark). Was listening to Ross Lyon talk about a recent coaching experience, he talked about when he coached the International Rules team, he said there was him, Clarkson (I think) and one ther coach and one IT guy. Thats it. He reckons they all commented about how much purer it was. Know I bet you will all moan and groan but I 110% agree with this. All we have done is copied the NFL (utterly crape game for mine) model for coaching numbers, the game is none the better IMHO.

As for drafting players with big tanks, atheletic abilities but cant kick a footy to save themselves, we are a prime example of this.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #14
Its a return to the good old days (thank fark). Was listening to Ross Lyon talk about a recent coaching experience, he talked about when he coached the International Rules team, he said there was him, Clarkson (I think) and one ther coach and one IT guy. Thats it. He reckons they all commented about how much purer it was. Know I bet you will all moan and groan but I 110% agree with this. All we have done is copied the NFL (utterly crape game for mine) model for coaching numbers, the game is none the better IMHO.

As for drafting players with big tanks, atheletic abilities but cant kick a footy to save themselves, we are a prime example of this.

Firstly, I think we are talking about two different problems, the number of coaches is a separate issue to the shorter quarters;

On the coaches, these famous photographs have been floating around for a while, more coaches than team!

Anybody who can't see the above problem must be blind, more coaches than players!

I wonder how many coaches would fair if you remove this ridiculous support system, it's not infeasible that some high end coaches might be better at utilizing assistant coaches than they are at actually coaching players.

On the shortening of the quarters and the players, the problem is strength and power players are disadvantaged because fatigue won't set in with enough of the quarter left. Guys like Cripps and Pendlebury will be devalued because the quarter is over before their main strength kicks in, it's similar to the old adage that taller players don't get shorter when legs get tired but if the quarter ends before the legs get tired!

Pendlebury and Cripps need more game time so that they can make use of their skills instead of chasing blokes they cannot catch.

It's the current rotation system with shorter quarters that allows a bloke like Prestia to dominate a Cripps. Short quarters, fresh legs, lots of interchange and video MRP would leave Diesel a spud! That is not the football I want to watch, I want the guys like Diesel, Sam Mitchell, Cripps, etc., etc., to star, blokes who need lots of physical contests!
The Force Awakens!