Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 63044 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #330
Your logic is completely up $hit creek.

The games he kicks goals in we lose...so lets not play him. Or lets not let him kick goals?

Wait, last week Curnowfides kicked 5 as did Wright. But we lost. Yep, better drop them too. Didn't help us get a win. The game plan we use that sees them score doesn't help us win.

Yes, i am being sarcastic. Sadly, you are not.

Give it up.

We don't have a 100 goal a game player collecting dust in the VFL. Excluding casboult...
Our #1 target has played about 25 games.
Our #2 target has played 2.
Our #3 target has played 0.

Love him or hate him, we are better off playing him at present because we got SFA else. That which we do have would benefit from having him in the side.

Missed 8 weeks from casboults hit.
[flash=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/v/N3u1epveWm0[/flash]

Ask him if he'll be looking over his shoulder next time he plays Carlton.
Bah Ha, what a load of rubbish.

Casboult had an uncontested run at a bouncing ball and jumped in the air from behind like a genuine piss-weak player, the same sort of player we would roast, a real Ziebell moment!

Is that the highlight for you from his whole career?

I wouldn't be surprised to find the wide camera shot showing Henderson pushing Casboult into the contest! ;D That was the sort of piss-weak sh1te we got out of both of them, not your sort of Johnathon Brown career highlight moment!

While he plays SFA is what we get, and it's not going to get any better!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #331
Bah Ha, what a load of rubbish.

Casboult had an uncontested run at a bouncing ball and jumped in the air from behind like a genuine piss-weak player, the same sort of player we would roast, a real Ziebell moment!

Is that the highlight for you from his whole career?

I wouldn't be surprised to find the wide camera shot showing Henderson pushing Casboult into the contest! ;D That was the sort of piss-weak sh1te we got out of both of them, not your sort of Johnathon Brown career highlight moment!

While he plays SFA is what we get, and it's not going to get any better!

You didn't say does he 'legally' throw his weight around.

Ask Peter Caven if he had 2nd thoughts after he headbutted Pluggers elbow.

Gary Ablett Sr used to get suspended for similar acts regularly.

Do i need to mention Barry Hall as well?

Its those types of players others fear more than those who play by the rules. Less predictable.

I'm not saying i'm condoning it, i'm just proving you wrong.

Reply #332
You didn't say does he 'legally' throw his weight around.

Ask Peter Caven if he had 2nd thoughts after he headbutted Pluggers elbow.

Gary Ablett Sr used to get suspended for similar acts regularly.

Do i need to mention Barry Hall as well?

Its those types of players others fear more than those who play by the rules. Less predictable.

I'm not saying i'm condoning it, i'm just proving you wrong.

You've proven nothing, nobody will take you seriously, and comparing Casboult to Plugger, Barry Hall, Ablett Snr, are you joking maybe you aren't! :o

Let me think about this, I can play on Levi Casboult or Plugger, Abletts Snr or Barry Hall! Shizen, I just don't know!  :-[

I'm betting if we survey enough footage we'll probably find Casboult stitching up a team-mate the same way! I'll ask Charlie Curnow if he knows any team-mates Meat has taken out! ;D

Thankfully Casboult is out there besides the kids we've drafted, setting the standards, teaching them the tricks, showing them the way to be a big boy player just like him! Helping them deal with the pressure, how to use their size and strength one on one, how to kick the pressure goals!

What more could we ask for, they'll all become superstars! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #333
Bowes booked for his charge on Weitering. (ie the one where the umpires didn't report him or even give a 50m penalty)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-02/young-sun-cops-a-week-plus-fines-galore

I guess we have to take that as "umpires pay what they see".
Frustrating at the time though.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #334
I guess we have to take that as "umpires pay what they see".
Frustrating at the time though.

Glad to see it finally picked up though
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #335
Glad to see it finally picked up though

True, and I think it may well be challenged.

The hurt part is how quickly the commentators and broadcast moved on, can you imagine if that had been Daniher, Riewoldt or McCartin on the end of Bowes hit?

What has Weitering done to deserve so little respect from the media, is being drafted by Carlton a good enough excuse?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #336
What a shocking performance - but can't be too hard on the lads; representing a list that has been constructed incorrectly for maybe the 5th (lost count) iteration of the "rebuild" - reminds me of the Matrix and Zion being destroyed every generation.

I'll start with some positives, for brevity's sake:
- Thomas - best game I've seen him play for a long time - creative with the ball and in everything, particularly in the first half when there was still some form of a contest
- Charlie - scarily already the best player on our list.  Not enough superlatives to describe him or the wood he gives me
- Ed - loving seeing him freed up a bit and putting that tank of his to use - and didn't quite butcher it all that badly which was refreshing

Negatives:
- The list - Well, we got the recruitment wrong from day one, didn't we, with Murphy representing our weak, small on-ballers. I've always said that to be under 6'1 and an effective midfielder, you need to make up for the lack of size with exceptional tackling and goal kicking ability.  Murphy possesses neither and if he wasn't a number 1 pick, would be considered a B grader at best.  I have hope for Fisher and SPS but not as midfielders - it's simply too hard to compete when every other midfield in the AFL consists of beast units.  it's boys vs men in the middle and we are being fiddled with.  Despite giving up oodles of natural talent, I'd rather see Ed and maybe even Byrne, join Kennedy and Cripps (and later Dow when developed) in the guts - at least then we would have some physicality - at the moment our best chance of a clearance is from a high free kick on one of our midgets
- Forward line - structure and personnel. Same can be said every week.  Every other team looks to have some poise and general tactic going forward.  We believe that is unnecessary.  A real worry that Harry still can't get a game despite our shocking stocks.  All I know is bringing back Silvagni isn't the answer - I love him because he is Carlton royalty but he is such a nothing player.  There's 1-2 "Gunstons" every generation and he's not one
- Weitering - don't know WTF is going on here.  Continuing on from his miserable 2nd year blues.  At best its a confidence issue.  At worst, he couldn't care less.  I'm quick to judge though (derrrr) and I firmly believe that if you're being paid a handsome sum to run on a football field, you can at least run, contest and tackle.  Earn your damn paycheck.
- Jones - is he back to his uncoordinated best?  Every spoil and jump he attempts is so poorly timed its comical to watch.  He looks like Yoshi doing a floating jump, if anyone is familiar.
- Simpson - his best has now become far from his worst.  Still my favourite player, and played a belter last week in fact, but I can just see him burning out mid year, which will make the absence of Docherty even more apparent, given Byrne is a clown.

Reply #337
AFL legends blast ‘deplorable’ skill level

Footy legends Wayne Carey and Paul Roos have taken an axe to the current game, describing what they’ve seen this weekend as a disgrace.

Carey said outside of the rematch between last year’s grand finalists Richmond and Adelaide, the skill level on show had been “deplorable”.

“St Kilda couldn’t hit the side of a barn,” Carey told Triple M.

He also criticised Carlton for missing targets with two metre handballs and dropping chest marks. “Some of the skill level this weekend has not even been at VFL level, below that,” Carey said.

“Players today cannot kick on their opposite foot. A lot of people applaud when they’re running straight at the goal and they’ve got no left foot and they do a checkside and everyone says what a great goal. What a load of crap. He should have kicked it on his left foot.

“That’s what astounds me. These elite, professional players are no good on their opposite side.”

Roos said it was the long-term effect of the increasing amount of time kids were spending doing their homework and playing computer games instead of kicking a footy.

As much as I hate Roos I reckon there is something in this.  When I was growing up there was footy, or ... footy. I had one under my arm wherever I went. Taught myself to kick left foot in the style of Neville Fields, became so good that coaches didn't know which was my natural side.  I could lie and say I was a 'coodabeen' but truth is I tried out for Carlton (back in the days of a 'Form 4') and wasn't good enough.  My boy is one of those "naturals" who excels at whatever sport he tries. One season of soccer? Best & Fairest. One season of Volleyball? Second in state finals. Season before last - BOG in winning footy GF. Last Year - B&F. Never touches a  footy unless it's during a scheduled training season or match day. Spends hours every day on his game console AND CAN'T KICK LEFT FOOT. 
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #338
- Jones - is he back to his uncoordinated best?  Every spoil and jump he attempts is so poorly timed its comical to watch.  He looks like Yoshi doing a floating jump, if anyone is familiar.

My son said watching Jones launch to spoil without attempting a mark is like watching a fight between "The Zohan" and "The Phantom" Full of puff and bluster but barely a touch! ;D
Not sure if I should be happy or sad about that! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #339
As much as I hate Roos I reckon there is something in this.  When I was growing up there was footy, or ... footy. I had one under my arm wherever I went. Taught myself to kick left foot in the style of Neville Fields, became so good that coaches didn't know which was my natural side.  I could lie and say I was a 'coodabeen' but truth is I tried out for Carlton (back in the days of a 'Form 4') and wasn't good enough.  My boy is one of those "naturals" who excels at whatever sport he tries. One season of soccer? Best & Fairest. One season of Volleyball? Second in state finals. Season before last - BOG in winning footy GF. Last Year - B&F. Never touches a  footy unless it's during a scheduled training season or match day. Spends hours every day on his game console AND CAN'T KICK LEFT FOOT. 

Kids having homework and computer games would be a new phenomenon..... to an 85 year old.

Both those "experts" would have been raving about round 1 which overall was pretty good.

Roos / Saints / Carlton were horrible round 2 though.

Reply #340
Kids having homework and computer games would be a new phenomenon..... to an 85 year old.

Both those "experts" would have been raving about round 1 which overall was pretty good.

Roos / Saints / Carlton were horrible round 2 though.

Paul Roos has been on about this issue for a long time, it's not just a 2018 Rnd 2 issue.

He had a major article/interview last year about some of the issues the AFL has long term, in it he discussed one of the strongest arguments for the return of the AFL Reserves was to address the falling skills base. I agree with him, at least with a reserves you end up with a list of full-time players at both levels.

It's not even new to last year, in one of the panel shows he mentioned these discussions have been going on back before Adrian Anderson left the AFL.

Also, close games and exciting results are no indication of skills. You can have two rubbish teams turn the ball over continuously like Carlton / Nthmond Rnd 1 this year, and still have scores level in the last quarter.

You also get knife edge games like yesterdays' Dawks / Handbaggers that were littered with last quarter mistakes over which BT drooled like an idiot! But lets not dress it up, neither coach would be happy about the wash up of that game!

One thing that shocked me from Roos article/interview was to read that even in 2017 our officials are not full-time. It seems ridiculous that the expectations for performance from the players isn't mirrored by the same expectation on the game's officials.

Surely the 120 or so officials it takes to run AFL matches each weekend should be career professionals, not part-timers working a 2nd job!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #341
Paul Roos has been on about this issue for a long time, it's not just a 2018 Rnd 2 issue.

He had a major article/interview last year about some of the issues the AFL has long term, in it he discussed one of the strongest arguments for the return of the AFL Reserves was to address the falling skills base. I agree with him, at least with a reserves you end up with a list of full-time players at both levels.

It's not even new to last year, in one of the panel shows he mentioned these discussions have been going on back before Adrian Anderson left the AFL.

Also, close games and exciting results are no indication of skills. You can have two rubbish teams turn the ball over continuously like Carlton / Nthmond Rnd 1 this year, and still have scores level in the last quarter.

You also get knife edge games like yesterdays' Dawks / Handbaggers that were littered with last quarter mistakes over which BT drooled like an idiot! But lets not dress it up, neither coach would be happy about the wash up of that game!

One thing that shocked me from Roos article/interview was to read that even in 2017 our officials are not full-time. It seems ridiculous that the expectations for performance from the players isn't mirrored by the same expectation on the game's officials.

Surely the 120 or so officials it takes to run AFL matches each weekend should be career professionals, not part-timers working a 2nd job!

Paul Roos is a bit of a negative whinger. Proposing some first rate solutions there. Computer games, homework and reserves. All makes perfect sense.

Reply #342
Paul Roos is a bit of a negative whinger. Proposing some first rate solutions there. Computer games, homework and reserves. All makes perfect sense.

Yet regardless of what he thinks might be the cause, he seems more than qualified to discuss AFL skills as they had occurred.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #343
You've proven nothing, nobody will take you seriously, and comparing Casboult to Plugger, Barry Hall, Ablett Snr, are you joking maybe you aren't! :o

Let me think about this, I can play on Levi Casboult or Plugger, Abletts Snr or Barry Hall! Shizen, I just don't know!  :-[

I'm betting if we survey enough footage we'll probably find Casboult stitching up a team-mate the same way! I'll ask Charlie Curnow if he knows any team-mates Meat has taken out! ;D

Thankfully Casboult is out there besides the kids we've drafted, setting the standards, teaching them the tricks, showing them the way to be a big boy player just like him! Helping them deal with the pressure, how to use their size and strength one on one, how to kick the pressure goals!

What more could we ask for, they'll all become superstars! ::)

As i've said on numerous occasions. I've been pioneering for a casboult replacement for years now. I am not a fan. He is still our best bet, which is a sad indictment on our list.

As for talking about him....i'm done. You are too far down the rabbit hole to see any sense, your mind is made up. So be it. Just know you extremist views in regards to him are in the minority. Even those, like me, who would rather we didn't have to play him think you are off your rocker in your hatred towards him.

Reply #344
I'm usually very optimistic about our players, but I cannot defend him any longer, and I find it a mystery as to how he has survived this long!

I foresee the risk that the old Carlton will surface, and that potential coach killer will surface undoing BB if he hasn't already! In the old Carlton, there will be people positioning themselves to pull the trigger and that player could be the loaded gun!

I don't want that to happen, and I don't want the negative impact that something like that will have affecting our future talent, but if it happens it will affect them you can be sure of that!

If the old Carlton returns and the sh1te does go down, who is the next coach, SOS?
The Force Awakens!