Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Jim Park Voting: Rd 2: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 6627 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Jim Park Voting: Rd 2: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #30
I couldn't care less about Supercoach, and stats sheets are seriously overrated, I go to every game and rely on what my eyes see, and they tell me that Murphy is one of our best and most consistent players (as is reflected in B&F finishes, seems the coaches and MC think like I do with respect to him), there are many other problems that need our attention before him

The coaches and MC went in on Saturday with no ruck so f%^& what they think.

I watch Murphy every week too and he's a soft cOck and won't put his body on the line.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #31
Do we rate The Hun's Jock Reynolds Supercoach community version stats higher than the AFL's own Champion Data system?

Is that Cherry Picking data to suit an argument?

I already posted that they had different scores that's why I asked are supercoach bias against him too?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #32
I already posted that they had different scores that's why I asked are supercoach bias against him too?

Are they based on the same numbers, where do the numbers come from?

The AFL's Fantasy Football uses Champion Data, it's the official AFL service and the same service the clubs use.

I'm not sure where the Jock Reynolds data come from, I thought it uses a sort of crowd based cloud sourced system. The important thing is that it must be consistent.

The two systems allocate points quite differently, they don't value the same acts equally and they penalize some mistakes quite differently.

The points and how they are allocated are selection / decisions made by a person or panel. So we should not really select one system over the other because the act of selecting is a bias, the bias is not the way the systems work themselves as long as they are consistent.

There is some irony in those stats as well, because Murphy is the only Carlton player over the last decade to regularly make The Hun's own Top 50, yet The Hun's stat engine apparently doesn't rate him! Does that tell us anything about the true value of the Jock Reynolds system, or what The Hun think of it?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
Most of the time their rankings are similar but sometimes there can be discrepancies.

Murphy had a much lower supercoach score on the weekend. Tom Lynch had a much higher one.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #34
Murphy had a much lower supercoach score on the weekend. Tom Lynch had a much higher one.

I realise that, why the discrepancy, and what makes you choose one over the other?

Do you think one is more accurate than the other.

What if the scores were reversed, would you always assume the higher one was wrong?

Am I being unreasonable asking these questions?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #35
I realise that, why the discrepancy, and what makes you chose one over the other?

I didn't choose any.

Flyboy said Murphy was ineffective and was accused of being bias against Murphy so I just asked are Supercoach bias as their stats indicate they thought he was average too.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #36
I didn't choose any.

Flyboy said Murphy was ineffective and was accused of being bias against Murphy so I just asked are Supercoach bias as their stats indicate they thought he was average too.

Forum posters issue opinions, the points allocated to various stats are the opinion of an analyst, the stats that are collected are a numerical analysis which contains no bias. Once you add points ranking the importance of certain stats you inject a bias.

There used to be websites comparing the various ranking systems, based on the same stat set. They seem to have disappeared because they often create more  anomalies than they resolve. The weakness in the systems seems to be human part, who decides what a various stat is worth.

Interestingly, CD do not apply points to stats, they do not rank the stats in any particular order because that would be a subjective bias. CD just build analytical relationships between stats and winning.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #37
How about some more votes?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #38
Team E-

5: E Curnow
2: Fisher
2: Cripps
2: SPS
2: Murphy
1: Thomas
1: Mullet

Reply #39
I'll close this off this evening and update the voting.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #40
How about some more votes?

I cracked it 15 minutes into the 1st qtr and changed the channel.... then again halfway thru the 2nd qtr... and again late in the 3rd and didn't bother watching the last qtr. I also deleted the recording without watching the replay.

sorry Not voting this game :(
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #41
I cracked it 15 minutes into the 1st qtr and changed the channel.... then again halfway thru the 2nd qtr... and again late in the 3rd and didn't bother watching the last qtr. I also deleted the recording without watching the replay.

sorry Not voting this game :(
Don't worry, mate. I understand what you felt. It was such a come-down after the effort against Richmond.

OK. I'm closing this one off. Get ready for Rd 3!
Live Long and Prosper!