Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 6 2024 Carlton vs Werribee at Werribee (Read 546 times) previous topic - next topic
Blue Moon and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

VFL Rd 6 2024 Carlton vs Werribee at Werribee

We play Werribee, who are presently 9th, at Weribee this Saturday at 14:05.
We should have a few more listed players for thus game, especially as the emergencies will be able to play. Last week we lost Binns, Sam Durdin and Cincotta, which was almost all of the experience we had.

Some of our guys need to respond after last week.

Mirkov is really struggling at the moment: not getting his hand on the ball, not getting to contests, etc. You can tell he missed a year of football. A real disappointment, and I'm not sure we'll give him another year.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL Rd 6 2024 Carlton vs Werribee at Werribee

Reply #1
Agree on Mirkov - he probably knows it too.

VFL lads will get some troops back.

Sam Durdin, Jaxon Binns, Ollie Hollands, Brodie Kemp - will get a couple more next week.

Like to see Ollie dominate a game or two before a recall.

Like to see Kempy groomed in a Jack Martin role.

Reply #2
Like to see Kempy groomed in a Jack Martin role.

Yep.
If he does play VFL this weekend I'd like to see him tried as a forward.

He's running a bit hot and cold at the moment but I think he has the traits necessary to be a good 'swing' player.
The more strings to his bow the more likely he can cement a senior spot.
If we don't try it for a few games we'll never know.

Reply #3
B:  Lachie Young   Sam Durdin  Harry Lemmey
HB:  Billy Wilson  Dom Akuei  Brodie Kemp
C:  Ollie Hollands  Jaxon Binns  Tom Phillips
HF:  Ned Cahill  Rob Monahan  Ashton Moir
F: Liam McMahon  Luke Nelson  Alex Mirkov
R: Hudson O'Keefe  Jack Carroll Zavier Maher
Int:  Darcy Hogg  Wil White  Michael Lewis  B Lambert  Heath Ramshaw

Em:  Archie Stevens  Kristian Ferranato  Jess Gedi  Hayden Gill  C Verrel  L Prout  Blake Kuipers  Jack Lefroy

I posted this last night, but it seems to have disappeared.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
No Ollie Hollands in the Magoos.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #5
No Ollie Hollands in the Magoos.
Some proper weirdness going on, but this is the Carlton of old.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
Some proper weirdness going on, but this is the Carlton of old.
i think we're more banged up than we're letting on.

Why else do blokes come straight in on the back of injury.

Walsh is the exception not the rule.  Everyone else must be struggling for fitness.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #7
Watching our VFL, there is a sameness about the problems facing both AFL and VFL teams, it suggests a systematic cause.

We seem to demand contested marking from our talls, like giving them an easy mark on the lead is banned, yet despite having that contested marking approach we have few or no smalls crumbing front and square. In our F50 we basically surrender the footy if we fail to mark it.

Watch last night, nobody is out marking Harry or Charlie more than very occasionally, our KPFs regularly bring the footy to ground against 2 or 3 opponents, but there is hardly ever a Carlton small at the foot of the contest. Watch the VFL, it's very same same.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Our VFL team looks flat, AFL listed types are having no influence, I thought at times our AFL crew looked flat as well.

Maybe we run them a bit too hard during the last week.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
An improvement over last week. Some positives:
[1] Binns played mainly midfield rather than wing and managed 26 disposals and 8 tackles. 2 goals didn't hurt either. He's not a clearance king yet, but he is developing.
[2] Brodie Kemp had 13 marks and 8 tackles. If he needed to show something, he did. However, I still think he wasn't that tight.
[3] Dom Akuei had a career high 18 disposals and actually wasn't that bad.
[4] Our rucks were much better this week, getting their hands on the ball first. If we had someone who could clear the ball consistently ...
[5] Billy Wilson also had a good game and 27 possessions. His opponents got a bit of the pill, but it was a promising effort. Billy is a guy who could be useful as he has real pace.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
We'll probably let Akuei go now, and he'll turn into a superstar. :(

(or maybe he won't) ;)

He's always been an 'almost' player with the eye-catching moment, but never quite there, not even at VFL level.

Reply #11
Akuei is turning 22 next week and has had plenty of chances. I don't mind if we keep him for another year. Neither here or there.

Kemp was superb and a commanding mature performance - Cowan got preference over Kemp and don't like that.
Binns playing through the midfield showed more than most on the list.

Reply #12
Billy Wilson has something and was a smart  pick I reckon
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #13
Billy Wilson has something and was a smart  pick I reckon

Indeed special mention for Billy Wilson is more than warranted. A couple more like that and will be in the mix you would think.

Reply #14
I haven’t seen the game but it seems that Kemp, Binns and Carroll did what players dropped from the firsts should do; show that they’re a class above the VFL blokes.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball