Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2021 Rd 2: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 14030 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2021 Rd 2: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #16
So after 2 rounds in 2021 we are in the same position we have been for umpteen years: we have a list that is not good enough.

Too few players have the necessary skills to make a difference and we have too many C graders posing as B graders.  When the going gets tough they go missing.

As Jack Dyer said " you can't pull your socks up if you're not wearing any."

I feel sorry for Teague. 

Reply #17
Absolutely gutted by that p!$$-weak performance. 0-2 for 9 years in a row and counting. Never looked like winning. Another year of woe if we keep dishing that up. Totally cr@p. Only positive is there are plenty of knobs who can be dropped.
1. Setterfield
2. Casboult
3. Murphy
4. Willo
Surely it's time to play some guys on merit rather than reputation.
Teague needs to rattle the cage.
I'm really p!$$ed off.  >:(

Reply #18
If Curnow isn’t sent out to sit on a specific player, then he’s not in the side. Offers nothing otherwise.

Reply #19
Grundy 51 Hitouts to Pittonet 21...
Our mids were ordinary..Adams and old man Pendlebury worked harder...

Williamson and Setterfield were liabilities.....need dropping
Casboult was either injured or just plain crape.
Dow probably needs more game time on ball and needs to go back to the twos.
SPS got some ball and made a couple of decent spoils.
Plowman was slaughtered...
Docherty is very iffy
Cripps was well held
Ed Curnow....did well on Adams in the 3rd quarter and gave some effort but doesnt have the class we need.
Martin....3 goals but not enough only 12 touches...
Gibbons...not bad for a VFL battler and probably our most dangerous small forward.
Fisher...ok at times but not enough...
Harry...ok but Moore was probably one of the best on the ground.
Dont know who played on Crisp but they gave it away and he just kept running..
Murphy..ok at times but not enough..
Saad....very good at both defending and attacking, ball use was also very good.
Walsh...our best mid but the bloke he played on Adams was BOG ...
Newnes....tougher night for Jack, wasnt our worst but found the pace of the game quicker this week.

Reply #20
I probably shouldn't be writing at the moment, because I am so filled with anger. I Should settle down and get my brain chemistry back into a better spot. However, I have things to say, and I feel I need to say them:
[1] We are not good enough. Simple as that. Nor will we be good enough until we develop something like the fanaticism towards the ball that teams like Richmond have now, and Hawthorn had a few years back. That sort of desire and will wins premierships. We have a team of good losers.
[2] Teague hasn't seemed to have developed the team at all. He is outcoached too often for my taste. He might be doing better than his predecessor, but he isn't doing the things that lead to success. Nor do the other guys appear to help. Our plan isn't working.
I do not know if he is the right man for the job. There simply isn't enough system in our style of play.
Look at Richmond, St, Kilda, West Coast: they have a system.
[3] It has been over 25 years since we last had a full list to choose from. 25 years! It is no coincidence that this, our worst patch in history, has happened in this period. You don't win game with you best cattle in the stands, and we've been trying to for an entire generation!
[4] Have we learnt the lessons Richmond has taught us about how to succeed? It appears that we have done some. Our off-field efforts are moving in the right direction. Our finances are the best they have been in years. Some things, like the Carlton Respects and such appear to be positive programs. But is that enough?
One of the things Richmond spent a lot of time and money on was emotional intelligence. They have people who thrive when the pressure is on them. We do not appear to have the same ability to perform under pressure. Have we used this criterion when selecting players? Have we invested time and effort to developing this?
I don't know, but we really need to.
We want a winning culture. What do we need to do to get one? Not what we are doing, that is clear. Our players look too happy with mediocrity.
[5] Sport's Science: I know we have spent time and money in this area and have links with LaTrobe University. That is fine, but we don't appear to be getting the rewards for this. Maybe we need more of this.
[6] We were very happy when we poached Russell from Hawthorn. But we do not appear to getting much advantage out of it as yet. Yes, we don't appear to having so many players coming back so soon and reinjuring themselves like we did not long ago, but neither are we running out games. Nor do we appear to have have the energy to run out games. We have faded each time we have played this year. That is simply unacceptable. We need that edge in fitness and we certainly show no sign of getting one yet.
[7] We've never had so many members. But will they stay the course if we keep underachieving? Should they? Having the members is fine, but if we cannot show the 'right stuff', hen they will not turn up at games. Having supporters turn out helps us to win. Being out-numbered 10 to 1 does not.

Sorry, but I had to vent. We haven't beaten Collingwood in years. We haven't beaten Richmond in years. We have Essendon's measure simply because they are crap. It is about time we do something about this! I am willing to 'stay the course' if I can see it headed somewhere. But we appear to be headed for nowhere. For the last 8 years we have lost the first 2 games. That is simply too many. We have a 10 game advantage over Collingwood at one point. Now we are behind. This is bad, too bad to allow to continue. Simple as that.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #21
Hey, how's Murphy going?

Plays forward pocket.   We were beaten in the contested ball.    Let's blame the small forward.     Clueless

Reply #22
Betts would have been better than Setterfield.  IMO

Collingwood exploited our weaknesses.  Failure to plan.  Teague owns that

Reply #23
Williamson and Setterfield were liabilities.....need dropping

Setterfield traded as an inside mid.   Finished off the season in 2020 as one of our better players.   Starts 2021 as a wing/half back.   One of the stranger moves by the Coaching Department.

Reply #24
Setterfield traded as an inside mid.   Finished off the season in 2020 as one of our better players.   Starts 2021 as a wing/half back.   One of the stranger moves by the Coaching Department.
I like him as a player but he let me down last week by pulling out of a contest and is playing a soft brand of footy so I can see why he isnt being used in the middle. Agree he was recruited as an inside mid  and I would have expected him to start there this season to relieve Cripps. Williams has probably taken his role, thought he started well then faded so probably needs some more games to condition himself. Probably got lucky they didnt have Treloar tonight.....

Reply #25
So after 2 rounds in 2021 we are in the same position we have been for umpteen years: we have a list that is not good enough.

Too few players have the necessary skills to make a difference and we have too many C graders posing as B graders.  When the going gets tough they go missing.

As Jack Dyer said " you can't pull your socks up if you're not wearing any."

I feel sorry for Teague. 
0-2 for 9 yrs straight, we are consistent.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #27
Perhaps now to give Stocker a chance?

Reply #28
Absolutely gutted by that p!$$-weak performance. 0-2 for 9 years in a row and counting. Never looked like winning. Another year of woe if we keep dishing that up. Totally cr@p. Only positive is there are plenty of knobs who can be dropped.
1. Setterfield
2. Casboult
3. Murphy
4. Willo
Surely it's time to play some guys on merit rather than reputation.
Teague needs to rattle the cage.
I'm really p!$$ed off.  >:(
100% agree with those outs (except Murph, was far from our worst compared to that lot). Doc also annoying me. Was disappointed with Williams to be honest. Fog on the other hand is a gem. Saady tried very hard.
Our hit outs were (21) all by Pitto, the relief ruckman didnt lay a glove on it. Grundy had 51 but in a strange kind of way didnt seem to do much (at least thats what it looked like at the ground).
Too much left to too few, a good patch in the 3rd but second to the ball the rest of the night. Too many lazy efforts again this week also.
Utterly smashed in the middle, Adams seemed to have his own footy.
Couple of howlers by the umps for sure, I am starting to question the defensive techniques of Jones, Weiters and Plow (not as much though), they give away too many free kicks at crucial times. Quite a few were right in front of us and they were ordinary.
Onto Freo at the basketball stadium, not confident at all. Had a quick chat to Sav on the train, interestingly his son is a bluebagger. I asked him when he was going back, said he was done.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #29
Betts would have been better than Setterfield.  IMO

Collingwood exploited our weaknesses.  Failure to plan.  Teague owns that
I said the same to my daughter on the train ride home, they planned against way better then we planned against them.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th