Skip to main content
Topic: Ashes 2019 (Read 57086 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Ashes 2019

Reply #120
I’m starting to realise that Smith is a rare talent.  Perhaps he will achieve greater levels without the burden of the captaincy.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #121
Cameos Khawaja strikes again.   It must be a concentration thing,  looks set and finds a way to get out.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #122
I’m starting to realise that Smith is a rare talent.  Perhaps he will achieve greater levels without the burden of the captaincy.

;D
If he does that we will see some amazing things
His average when captain was around 70 IIRC

I hope you’re prediction is correct

Reply #123

I think he still is the captain, the other bloke tosses the coin and does the interviews....

Reply #124
We're lucky to be able to watch Smith, he bats like an eccentric genius.  You get a sense that at Lords the English are beginning to appreciate him for what he is.

Reply #125
Will England bitch when Archer gets some comeuppance, something for Starc or Patto to aim for?

Quid Pro Quo Mr Archer!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #126
Dangerous pitch with variable bounce, they're the scary ones to bat on.

Yep,  I'm sure Cummins ET Al will have filed Archer's efforts away.   It will come,  just need to keep him guessing as to when he's going to need that helmet.....

Reply #127
Dangerous pitch with variable bounce, they're the scary ones to bat on.

Yep,  I'm sure Cummins ET Al will have filed Archer's efforts away.   It will come,  just need to keep him guessing as to when he's going to need that helmet.....

Prof, I think Cummins was the one who bounced Archer first as well as bouncing Woakes and Broad....the whole intimidation thing has got out of hand IMO and
the umpires need to put a stop to four or five bouncers and over before someone does get hurt badly. We probably over did it to start with and now they have the quicker Archer
the Poms think they can give it back but both Archer and Cummins were sending down way too many per over.
That ball that hit Smith reminded me of Phil Hughes getting hit in an unprotected area on the back of the head/neck and Smith could have been seriously hurt.
Langar is also to blame for pre match stuff about Archer not being able to sustain his pace etc etc and should have kept his mouth shut, Archer just wanted to prove he could bowl
quicker and quicker for a long period and was deliberately over bowled for intimidation reasons only....plus he and Butler seemed to be laughing about hitting Smith which is disgraceful.
Both captains should be told to end the over use of the short pitch stuff....

Reply #128
I think he still is the captain, the other bloke tosses the coin and does the interviews....

Not according to the interview I heard Paine give the other day.  He explained how he feels it's an advantage to be captain and keeper as he knows exactly when bowlers need a spell, what the ball/pitch is doing and can pick up on batsmen's vulnerabilities.  He captained as a fielder in the last tour game and didn't feel as confident calling the shots.

Smith has a bit to say, as you'd expect from a senior player, but Paine is calling the shots and has done an excellent job of rebuilding a fragile group.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #129
How much longer must we have to tolerate Khawaja.

Labuschagne ... great knock.  Root, you're a lying cheat

Reply #130

I think Warner might go first.
Technically suspect and really struggling to survive
Khawaja also in trouble though
Harris, labuschagne and Pattinson in?

Reply #131
I don't get the players being hit side on, the best test player of the short ball in the world is Kholi, and he does it the correct way and basically tucks his chin into his chest and lets the ball smash the top of his helmet. Facing the ball and tucking his chin into his chest protects all critical surfaces and because you prepare for the hit it's generally not an issue.

At juniors we've been training kids to "headbutt" the short ball for years, we have a drill in which they pair off and one throws the ball at the other and they are asked to headbutt it back like a soccer ball. Or another drill is that three with one in the middle just offering a little weave left or righto get out of the way. It trains the kids to use their helmet as a defensive weapon.

I don't get how blokes get to 1st Class level and can't perform the sort of basics.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #132

Khawaa, Bancroft, Waner. Heck, Wade bar one innings has been schizen.

The catch - unfathomable that a third umpire would give that out....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #133
Can't add anything more other than Labuschagne was in my first test side and he showed why.

Fancy these blokes getting out to that tweaker.   FMD.   Embarrassing.

Warner is deadset hopeless in England and Khawaja is a crab.    Both have to go, but there isn't a line up of candidates.     Maybe dump Warner and open with Khawaja.

Harris must be close to a run.   Where's Burns at?

Reply #134
Khawaa, Bancroft, Waner. Heck, Wade bar one innings has been schizen.

The catch - unfathomable that a third umpire would give that out....

Agree on the catch.
How does that bloke officiate in any position after a dozen errors in the first test.
Surely after this, they replace him.
No, I actually think he is back on field in the next test.