Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW 2021 season (Read 8138 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW 2021 season

Reply #45
Congratulations to our 3 AA selections this year - Kerryn Harrington, Darcy Vescio and Maddy Prespakis. Great work girls.

https://womens.afl/news/69766

Ummm....not quite.

That is 1 persons opinion on team of the year.

The 3 girls you mentioned, as well as Moody, have made the squad for the AA team, but that has not been announced yet.

Reply #46
Ummm....not quite.

That is 1 persons opinion on team of the year.

The 3 girls you mentioned, as well as Moody, have made the squad for the AA team, but that has not been announced yet.

Sorry, my bad.

Reply #47
I'd expect Moody to be the AA Ruck, she is a mile ahead of the others in terms of her influence across the whole playing surface.

Moody might not be the best contested mark of the rucks but she is right up there in the top 3, certainly top 2 or 3 for tap work, and probably a clear 1st in ground level and continuing play stuff. She might not be the best running kick of the football, but there are hardly any AFLW rucks that are kicking in the chain of play, most are quite static.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
Brisbane Queens of the Jungle, well done to Lauren Arnell in her final game
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
Great win by the Lionesses. The Crows had plenty of chances in the last. Controlled the territory. Lots of inside 50's. some scoreboard pressure would have made things very interesting.

Reply #50
Great win by the Lionesses. The Crows had plenty of chances in the last. Controlled the territory. Lots of inside 50's. some scoreboard pressure would have made things very interesting.
Yes, however the Brisbane defence was stoic and withstood the last qtr Adel sorties.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #52
Yes, no doubt.
The start of the 4th, you would have thought two different teams walked out. Brisbane looked cooked early but managed to hang on then even managed to attack in the second half of the last. Was a good game.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #53
About time Brisbane won a grand final.

Nice way to go out from our inaugural captain Lauren Arnell.

Reply #54
About time Brisbane won a grand final.

Nice way to go out from our inaugural captain Lauren Arnell.

Its been 30 years for us to celebrate a blue winning a flag in blues colours.

Im not happy for her.  I dont begrudge her either.

Its a very empty feeling knowing your club is destined to win nothing soon.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #55
Its been 30 years for us to celebrate a blue winning a flag in blues colours.

Im not happy for her.  I dont begrudge her either.

Its a very empty feeling knowing your club is destined to win nothing soon.
I think we were shafted last year when they cancelled the season as it would've either....
a) Given us a flag
b) Given us plenty of hurt and thus motivation to get one this year.

I hope Half shows our girls Lauren Arnells interview and celebrations and asks them what they are playing for. If its that same feeling, pull your finger out.

Reply #56
I thought the Women's game evolved quite markedly from last season. I thought our game style in 2019 was great it reminded me on 1980's type football. This year the good teams held onto the ball and were able to chip it around. I don't think our game style evolved enough to compete. We were within a goal in three matches and if we had held on against Freo we would have made the finals. I thought our lack of foot speed shown up, especially in our forward half where the ball came out to quickly in some of the early games, along with kicking skills. We need to improve our skills and upgrade the game plan and be able to shut down our opponents a bit more effectively than we did this season. I would like to see a season where everyone plays everybody else at least once and I would like to see all AFL Clubs with an AFLW team.

Reply #57
I listened to the first 15 minutes of Darcy Vescio interviewing Tope Adepoyibi. I have to say, I love Darcy's voice. Sweet, dulcet tones, very easygoing manner.