Skip to main content
Topic: VFLW 2021 (Read 7377 times) previous topic - next topic

VFLW 2021

The VFLW is starting up very soon.
Interesting indeed is starting the VFLW season while the AFLW is still going. It does suggest that the ladies who miss out will get game time, although that is hard to confirm. Maybe someone with a better internet connection can confirm that.

I must admit that I have been quite irritated that the girls who miss out each week had no opportunity to impress in the past.
In the past there has been no opportunity to groom girls, as anyone can draft them from the VFLW. I wonder if that is still the case. There are a LOT of girls playing AFLW who started with Carlton in the VFLW!
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFLW 2021

Reply #1
The VFLW season started, from the sounds of things, last weekend. We lost by 6 goals to Casey.
It has been very difficult to get any information about this group of girls, but ...
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
There are a few 'highlight' on the Carlton website. However, be warned, not many of them appear to be much of highlights. That suggests the standard can't be all that high.
I still can't find out anything about the VFLW list.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Girls lost to Port Melbourne by a fair bit. It looks like the VFL girls are not strong this year.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
Brooke Walker picked to play VFLW this week. Hopefully she smashed it because we need her next week.

Reply #5
Brooke Walker picked to play VFLW this week. Hopefully she smashed it because we need her next week.
That would be nice.
Actually having some talent and leadership out there will help the VFL girls a lot.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
Must have worked: the VFLW Blues had their 1st win for the season.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
Must have worked: the VFLW Blues had their 1st win for the season.
I looked through the report and there was no mention of Brooke Walker in it, nor in the photos.

Maybe she didn't end up playing?

Reply #8
I looked through the report and there was no mention of Brooke Walker in it, nor in the photos.

Maybe she didn't end up playing?
I couldn't see her in any of the highlights either. Limited time on the field? Whatever. It bodes poorly for her availability in either of the last 2 games.

However, a win over Darebin is a win, and after 2 ordinary losses, a win is most satisfactory.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #10
The game against North was scheduled to start at 10.30 this morning, which means it should be well and truly over by now. The last score available shows us in the lead 52-44. I can't tell if this is the final score or not - the match centre still lists the game as "live now."

The VFL women get a massive raw deal in terms of visibility, news, updates. It's like someone's ashamed they even exist.

Reply #11
The twitter page for the CFC AFLW team states that the VFL team did win 52-44. Well done girls.

https://twitter.com/carltonfc_w

Reply #12
The twitter page for the CFC AFLW team states that the VFL team did win 52-44. Well done girls.

https://twitter.com/carltonfc_w
Wunderbar!
Even with the season going on, it is very difficult to find much about the VFLW girls at all. I can't even find a complete list!

One of the things that irritates me this year is the business with the football records. There hasn't been even one for the AFLW! Not for a single game! I don't know what they are doing for the 'VFL' (which is played in lots of states), but there is only one edition for the AFL. Every game is covered by the same publication.
40 years ago I might have been silly enough to write down the scores for every game, but I am not that young anymore!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13
Wunderbar!
Even with the season going on, it is very difficult to find much about the VFLW girls at all. I can't even find a complete list!

It's pretty poor IMO. It can't be that hard to cobble together a website comprising a team list, scores updates etc. Sheesh.

Reply #14
Wunderbar!

One of the things that irritates me this year is the business with the football records. There hasn't been even one for the AFLW! Not for a single game! I don't know what they are doing for the 'VFL' (which is played in lots of states), but there is only one edition for the AFL. Every game is covered by the same publication.
40 years ago I might have been silly enough to write down the scores for every game, but I am not that young anymore!
I actually went looking on the club website in regards to VFLW list the other day.

Last year, or the year before, they had AFL, AFLW, VFLW (no VFL as it was before we were a standalone club).
Now it hasn't added the VFL, but its also ditched the VFLW.