Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW R9 - Carlton vs GWS @Blacktown - SUN 4:10 (Read 2456 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW R9 - Carlton vs GWS @Blacktown - SUN 4:10

We can only control what we can control and as a result, we need to be fully focused on getting a win. Without it, finals are not going to happen. Even with it, depending on other results, finals might not happen.

Changes...
I predict...
In: Wilson
Out: Hammans

Re: AFLW R9 - Carlton vs GWS @Blacktown - SUN 4:10

Reply #1
We have to win big, North has to lose. Not highly likely, but not impossible.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
We have to win big, North has to lose. Not highly likely, but not impossible.
I did the maths on it. 4 goals each way will do it....even a touch less.

So that'll mean basically a point differential of 48 points.
If we win by 47 and they lose by 1, we go above them.
If we win by 1 and they lose by 47, we go above them.
If we win by 24 and they lose by 24, we go above them.

Basically, lets just smash GWS by 8 goals and pray freo wins.

Reply #3
Isn’t the freo game before our game?

Reply #4
Isn’t the freo game before our game?
Yeah it is.

My intention was to point out we should just focus on what we can control. Do what we need to do and let the rest take care of itself.

But yes, as you point out, the other game is first, so we will know exactly what we need to win by on match day.........assuming NM do lose.

Apparantly Kiara Bowers is up for a week suspension. She is the favourite for the AFLW MVP award this year, so that will hurt.
Although North have a mid up for a week suspension as well, which although is not up to the same standard as Bowers (not many are) it will go somewhat to evening the ledger.

Reply #5
Our season is over. North won by a point against Freo.

:(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
Was one of the flag favourites pre season. Very disappointing season to not even make the finals.

Reply #7
Was one of the flag favourites pre season. Very disappointing season to not even make the finals.
In the end we may have been unlucky, but losing 3 games by less than a goal says it all.
Lots of thinking to do in the off-season.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #8
In the end we may have been unlucky, but losing 3 games by less than a goal says it all.
Lots of thinking to do in the off-season.
Agree.

The season is so short that if you are off for a couple of weeks, your season is over.

If the season went for a couple more weeks, we'd be in finals. Once we are in, then anything is possible.

What i'd like to see is the girls go out and absolutely smash GWS. They have nothing to prove, its a dead rubber, but they should be able to prove it to themselves that they could've made finals if only the bounce of the ball went a different way in any one of 3 or 4 games.

Reply #9
Agree.

The season is so short that if you are off for a couple of weeks, your season is over.

If the season went for a couple more weeks, we'd be in finals. Once we are in, then anything is possible.

What i'd like to see is the girls go out and absolutely smash GWS. They have nothing to prove, its a dead rubber, but they should be able to prove it to themselves that they could've made finals if only the bounce of the ball went a different way in any one of 3 or 4 games.

I understand your point but like the men’s teams I’m tired of constantly viewing losing seasons in ways that make it seem like it’s not too bad once you comfier all the what if’s

The reality is we failed with a list which is stronger then many of the teams in the 6 and our poor start meant we always were going to be up against it.
Disappointed and I’m not willing to cut any slack

Reply #10
I understand your point but like the men’s teams I’m tired of constantly viewing losing seasons in ways that make it seem like it’s not too bad once you comfier all the what if’s

The reality is we failed with a list which is stronger then many of the teams in the 6 and our poor start meant we always were going to be up against it.
Fair enough. But I am more worried about why some of our good players in 2020 were so less effective in 2021.
The other thing we need to look at is our game plan. We need to learn from what didn't work this year, so it doesn't happen in 2022. I want to see us being No.1 in 2022!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11

Don't forget we were 1 of 4 teams still alive when the season was cancelled last year. So we didn't really have a losing season last year.

This year it does hurt, a few too many injuries earlier in the year and missing Chloe Dalton for an olympics that never happened is an extra spanner in the works that was simply bad luck beyond our control.

I think we have an exciting group of young girls on our list to compliment are 'veterans'. I don't predict many retirements with the possible exceptions of Loynes and Downie, and we have been rather good at attracting more talent than we've been losing. So all hope is not lost yet.

Reply #12
Changes...
I predict...
In: Wilson
Out: Hammans

Nailed it.

B: V.Laloifi 8 D.Walker 23 
HB: G.Pound 6 A.Downie 30 K.Harrington - C 9
C: L.Brazzale 12 K.Loynes 2 E.O'Dea 46
HF: G.Gee 19 T.Harris 7 D.Vescio 3
F: J.Hosking 11 N.Stevens 21
Foll: B.Moody 16 M.Prespakis 4 L.McEvoy 13
I/C: C.Wilson 20 A.McKay 5 G.Egan 1 N.Plane 32 
Emerg: J.Edwards 25 C.Hammans 17 

In: C.Wilson
Out: C.Hammans (omitted)

Reply #13

What does this mindset achieve though aside from cementing that we are failures?

I.e.  focusing on the positive is what can be the mindset to prevent future failure.   We do need to acknowledge what went wrong, but more surrounding how to learn from it moving forward.

Its the way of the world and its the way the world is continuing to head to be able to recognise what went wrong, without beating yourself up over it.

I too have been guilty of that in the past but it really isn't healthy or helpful. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #14
So mission accomplished with the ladies, the men have started in a blaze of glory at 0-2 and should follow suit.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time