Skip to main content
Topic: Rafa Nadal (Read 19591 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rafa Nadal

Reply #15
Do you think he used a smaller frame to handicap himself? Sampras used an 85 pro staff, as did madbluboy in his younger days. Nothing beats when you hit the sweet spot off of those raquets but they are unforgiving.

Not deliberately, but in an era where everyone is (like AFL) fitter, stronger, faster and in a lot of cases bigger, a small gain in power surely helps.

I think Federer thought he could get away with doing what he did - and in 99.8% of cases - he could.

Look at the change now that he has shelved that silly nothing backhand slice floater, especially off return of serve.

Nadal couldn't touch Fed this year.....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #16
I think it's more the Joker dropping off than the other two turning back the clock.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #17
Hey Rog, look behind you.

Reply #18
Makes for an interesting discussion.....

Head to Head. Nadal 23 vs Federer 15 yet Roger is the 'GOAT'??
In fact, such is the dominance of Rafa on clay, The Express hasn't bothered to turn up for the last 2 years!!

Reply #19
Makes for an interesting discussion.....

Head to Head. Nadal 23 vs Federer 15 yet Roger is the 'GOAT'??
In fact, such is the dominance of Rafa on clay, The Express hasn't bothered to turn up for the last 2 years!!

Another aspect that has shaped their rivalry has been that of racquet equipment. Nadal has always used a large 100 square inch racquet, however, Federer used a significantly smaller 90 inch racquet in their matches from 2004–2013. This was the size Federer had always played with since a youth, but in an age of increasing power tennis this substantially smaller racquet put him at a disadvantage. During the period in which Nadal enjoyed this advantage in racquet equipment he compiled a 22–10 record. In early 2014 Federer began experimenting with a larger frame and played Nadal in just his second tournament using this larger prototype.[80] Nadal won this match and took his advantage to 23–10. However, since Federer committed to his new 97.5 inch Wilson Prostaff he has flipped their rivalry upside down going an undefeated 5–0 in their matches with equally modern racquet equipment.[81] Many analysts have claimed that Federer's switch to a modern sized racquet and his subsequent dominance, in addition to the vast improvements it has made to his single handed backhand, have proven that he was playing with a handicap for most of their rivalry.

Federer shot himself in the foot imo. His ego wouldn't allow himself to admit for many a year that he couldn't toy with all and sundry....indeed, Nadal toyed with him for a decent stretch.

Anyone who has played tennis at a decent level, knows the power difference between a 90sqi and a 100sqi bat....the latter Rafa has used forever and a day....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #20
I've read in a few places that the rule introduced a few years ago to allow players to miss part of the tennis calendar was done at Federer's request. No idea if it's true. Prior to that, players were not permitted to sit out the clay court season, grass season etc.

Reply #21
And let's not overlook that in most sports, at the elite level, there's more than likely one or more Lance Armstrongs lurking....?

Fed, Novak and Muzza all should be in that conversation too.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #22
I've read in a few places that the rule introduced a few years ago to allow players to miss part of the tennis calendar was done at Federer's request. No idea if it's true. Prior to that, players were not permitted to sit out the clay court season, grass season etc.

I seem to recall he started dodging a few tournaments and focussed only on the grand slams a while back.

And let's not overlook that in most sports, at the elite level, there's more than likely one or more Lance Armstrongs lurking....?

Hard to say.

I'd like to think not, but they seem to improve really quickly every generation.

I would have thought they'd taper off at some point, but it just doesn't seem to happen.

If anyone's on it, it's Federer,  he's defied biology, broken down a little and seems better than ever these days.

Rafa and Novak have been battling for the last two years with various injuries.

Perhaps it's the difference in game style too, but you can't simply throw mud at them for being the best in their code.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
Not throwing mud just saying what history has taught us....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #24

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/16/tennis/rafa-nadal-tennis-lawsuit/index.html

Nadal stated he was more than happy to make his drug test results public.

Reply #25
Apparently tennis' testing regime isn't that expected of a sport that has such a high profile and level of money. There are also lots of rumors of silent bans eg a player being injured for a longer period of time.  I Googled drug use in tennis - makes for interesting reading.   This was after being told by the entourage of a player who spent a couple of years on the circuit trying to make it the same thing. 

Reply #28
Pull your head out of the sand Paul....negative test results mean jack.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #29
Pull your head out of the sand Paul....negative test results mean jack.

The tests are what they are. Nadal has broken down more times than I care to remember, and has missed / pulled out of plenty of tournaments over the journey. His peds must be Home Brand.