Skip to main content
Topic: Pole Vault Gold (Read 1668 times) previous topic - next topic

Pole Vault Gold

Nina Kennedy won the Pole Vault at the World Championships. ;D
World Champion ;D

Where's our public Holiday? >:(

Re: Pole Vault Gold

Reply #1
Did I hear there was some controversy about that result?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2
Did I hear there was some controversy about that result?

I actually haven't seen the vision yet.
Not so much a controversy....
The two top athletes agreed to share the gold rather than go to a jump off.
I haven't heard anything other than that.
That's quite within the rules.
In a previous existence I coached the event for about twenty years.

If after reaching the maximum height the athletes can't be separated on count back (number of misses at lower heights) the bar is not raised but lowered until someone clears and the other doesn't.

It's a bugger of a way to decide it and quite taxing.
The agreement to share is a sensible compromise...and takes nothing away from the achievement.

A similar thing happened at the Olympics in the men's High Jump.

Reply #3
If after reaching the maximum height the athletes can't be separated on count back (number of misses at lower heights) the bar is not raised but lowered until someone clears and the other doesn't.
So they basically make them keep jump until they drop dead, that's a rather brutal side to that sport I wasn't aware of! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #4
So they basically make them keep jump until they drop dead, that's a rather brutal side to that sport I wasn't aware of! :o

It's usually settled after a couple of heights, but it can drag on.
The thing about individual athletes of most sport is it's just about always two separate competitions

The first is against your opponent (s)
The second is against yourself (and the clock and tape)....you're always looking to beat your personal best time, height or distance.

So if you reach your peak performance on a given day that's as good as it gets for that day.
The last thing you want to do is go back and jump a height you've already jumped.
So the decision to share the Gold is usually a sensible one.

The conditions are-
- a jump off only applies in the case of first place, lower placings are shared....otherwise the bar would be going up and down like a yo-yo.
-both athletes have to agree to the 'share' or keep jumping...if one stops jumping the other is the winner even if they haven't cleared the height.

Reply #5
All track and field events are taxing but pole vault is especially so … and not without an element of danger.  Sharing the gold is an entirely appropriate outcome, congratulations to both athletes 👏
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
It can be extremely dangerous.

https://people.com/sports/pole-vaulter-suffers-injury-after-pole-pierces-scrotum-18-stitches/

That's not the first time I've heard of this happening either.

That made me wince …
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #8
I actually haven't seen the vision yet.
Not so much a controversy....
The two top athletes agreed to share the gold rather than go to a jump off.

I've seen that happen a few times, i think last time was at the high jump....maybe at the olympics?
The camera was on the spot listening to the official talking to the 2 athletes. One athlete brought it up to another, there was a very brief discussion, then they lept into eachothers arms in celebration. Was awesome to see.

EDIT: Here it is...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pzFZqUVjb4

Reply #9
I've seen that happen a few times, i think last time was at the high jump....maybe at the olympics?
The camera was on the spot listening to the official talking to the 2 athletes. One athlete brought it up to another, there was a very brief discussion, then they lept into eachothers arms in celebration. Was awesome to see.

Yep
At the last Olympics Tamberi (Italy) and Barshim (Qatar) shared the Gold.
Ist and 3rd this time around at the World's