Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 30509 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #15
Thankfully, the Pies have no capable, big key forwards, so at least in this part of the ground, we should have a chance of breaking even and getting some half decent match ups.

I've no idea how much money they have in their piggy bank, but they must be seriously thinking of offering Tom Lynch a Buddy type contract.

Reply #16
Thankfully, the Pies have no capable, big key forwards, so at least in this part of the ground, we should have a chance of breaking even and getting some half decent match ups.

...but we'll give them the upper hand by playing 5 key backs without matchups for them.  :-\

Reply #17
...but we'll give them the upper hand by playing 5 key backs without matchups for them.  :-\

Well, if we finally have a chance of getting good match ups, and the MC are stubborn or just dumb, then we deserve every hiding that we cop.

Reply #18
I'd stick with Weitering for now, we know that he can play but he's being crowded by our top heavy defence.
Polson must go and I'd drop O'Shea as well, not because he was particularly bad but because we need run in our back half.
Kreuzer, Silvagni and McKay should all play, our front 6 was impotent yesterday and we must add some scoring power, Lamb can make way.
I'd like to see young O'Brien get a game soon as well but I'm not sure how well he's been going in the Magoos.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #19
Again, with the shape that Collingwood are in, if Krooz and Kennedy can return, we should be more than competitive. No Moore, possibly no Reid, Trelor only half fit, and Mason Cox returning, we must be a chance. 

Reply #20
I'd stick with Weitering for now, we know that he can play but he's being crowded by our top heavy defence.
Polson must go and I'd drop O'Shea as well, not because he was particularly bad but because we need run in our back half.
Kreuzer, Silvagni and McKay should all play, our front 6 was impotent yesterday and we must add some scoring power, Lamb can make way.
I'd like to see young O'Brien get a game soon as well but I'm not sure how well he's been going in the Magoos.

I thought OShea was reasonable, his stats were not that bad and his attack on the ball is better than Mullett, Weitering etc...
Polson, Weitering, Lamb and Byrne would be my outs...
Obrien is a good user of the ball but very light and we dont need anymore undersized mids....especially vs a strong Collingwood midfield
We need Kennedy, Lang, Kruezer and Mckay in IMO....or if Lang is still unfit I would play Graham or Kerridge...
Collingwood are not that great IMO and we can win this game if we select right and recognize that Grundy and their mids is where their strength is and matchup properly...Pendlebury cannot be allowed to play off Cripps like in previous games and needs a genuine tagger like Curnow on his case all day.
Very winnable game providing a common sense approach is taken and not the madness we watched vs GC.....if Kruezer isnt fit then Philips has to play....

Reply #21
O'Shea wasn't too bad but surely we have enough tall defenders.
To be honest I don't know why we've recruited so many when we're crying out for forwards.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #22
I think we may be being conditioned for a Weitering rest ;)

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-03-31/murphy-well-support-weitering

Bolton didn't rule out the possibility of Weitering playing at Preston Oval instead of the MCG next week in a bid to help him find some confidence.

"I'm not going to make a public statement on what we're going to do in terms of selection now, but we'll go and analyse his game," Bolton said.

"Like any decision, whether or not players play VFL or AFL, it'll be a Carlton-first decision based on form.

"We'll make that decision during the week once we look at the tape."

Reply #23
That would actually worry me more than the dross we served up against GC. He was widely regarded as the best kid in the draft, came in and had a really good first year imo. But within another 18 months we have turned him into a timid player devoid of confidence who needs to go back to the VFL

Reply #24
To be honest I don't know why we've recruited so many when we're crying out for forwards.

Fair point, we have a few like for likes down back and less options down forward.........forwards are hard to get thats the main problem...you could have had Watts and Stringer playing for us if you  wanted to pony up the money? Or as is likely going to be pointed out more than once by years end we could have taken Fogarty instead of Obrien at pick 10.
The list does look unbalanced and its a real heavy reliance on Harry, Kerr, and JackS to deliver, the latter two are later picks so the odds are higher.......
I'd be more than surprised if Tom Lynch doesnt get a big offer from us or Patton from GWS......

Reply #25

I've been singing from that same hymn book for a few years now.

We've made our bed...

Reply #26
Well, if we finally have a chance of getting good match ups, and the MC are stubborn or just dumb, then we deserve every hiding that we cop.

What are you talking about? We have a chance of getting good matchups every week. We know what the opposition is going to be doing up forward. For 2 weeks now we have painted ourselves into a corner with our selections which actually HELP the opposition. They've done it for 2 weeks already and yes they are stubborn and/or dumb. Not sure what doing it for a 3rd week in a row will prove.

Reply #27
I'd be more than surprised if Tom Lynch doesnt get a big offer from us or Patton from GWS......

But would either of them want to play for us?
I would have passed on Stringer but at the price I'd have signed Watts in a heartbeat.

Reply #28
What are you talking about? We have a chance of getting good matchups every week. We know what the opposition is going to be doing up forward. For 2 weeks now we have painted ourselves into a corner with our selections which actually HELP the opposition. They've done it for 2 weeks already and yes they are stubborn and/or dumb. Not sure what doing it for a 3rd week in a row will prove.

As I see it, the only 2 players we have that should play on Buddy or Lynch are Rowe or ACOS, neither of which are ideal and both of which have limitations. So either we go with a compromised man on man, or we double team / zone / rotate those types of players, which is also a compromise.

Reply #29
But would either of them want to play for us?
I would have passed on Stringer but at the price I'd have signed Watts in a heartbeat.

Krud was big on signing Watts, my theory is he is handy at a strong club forward line club like Port but being the main man with us would have proven difficult and thats why I didnt want or rate him.
Stringer would have been a yes from me but not at 600k a year like Essendon offered.....
Would they want to play for us?.....Stringer wanted the dough and I think Watts wanted the 3rd banana role and got some good advice to choose Port who pay well and have the list to make his life easier and play to his strengths....