Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 30592 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #30

Krud was big on signing Watts, my theory is he is handy at a strong club forward line club like Port but being the main man with us would have proven difficult and thats why I didnt want or rate him.
Stringer would have been a yes from me but not at 600k a year like Essendon offered.....
Would they want to play for us?.....Stringer wanted the dough and I think Watts wanted the 3rd banana role and got some good advice to choose Port who pay well and have the list to make his life easier and play to his strengths....

Watts in our side on the weekend helps a lot.

He can play forward, or run around on a wing.

We lose Casboult from our forwardline, we'd still have the height of Watts to go with Curnowfides.
If Kreuzer plays, Watts goes onto a wing instead of Polsen. Surely an upgrade there.

Not saying he is/was the answer, but he allows us some versatility and cover for situations like what occured with Kreuzer in R2.

Reply #31
Regardless of Watts' likes or dislikes we didn't even deal ourselves into the game, for reasons which will always remain a mystery to me.
He's a good player with excellent skills, he's suffered because he isn't a superstar and he was a number one draft pick.
We have a dearth of good footballers of his age and experience, yet we showed no interest in him whatsoever., you're left scratching your head. 
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #32
I think it's likely that we've chased every decent tall forward who's contract was up in the last 3 years. Problem is they wouldn't come to us. (I have zero evidence to support this)

So we went to draft with a long term view (and because we had no other choice). Took Weitering first in 2015 because we needed a defender too and he was rated the best player overall. After that we went McKay and Curnow. The latter looks a ripper and the former is still developing. Also got SOJ and TDK in the works and maybe

We have a forward line in the making, but it will take at least another 2 years before it's ready to go and make opposition defenders panic about playing them. But what choice do we have if existing players won't come to Carlton?

Besides, put Buddy and Kennedy in our forward line yesterday and they too would be made to look mediocre while our mids fumbled like the under 10s on a rainy day.

Reply #33
Besides, put Buddy and Kennedy in our forward line yesterday and they too would be made to look mediocre while our mids fumbled like the under 10s on a rainy day.

Yes and no.   To me it was more structural than personal, but the number of times we had no one leading towards the ball carrier and everyone back peddling toward the goals in hope of getting an easy goal.   Lack of space.   No one creating space.   Everyone in the same area.   Bolts and Teague have a lot of work to do.
At the other end the Suns managed the opposite.     So many one on ones.  

Reply #34
I think it's likely that we've chased every decent tall forward who's contract was up in the last 3 years. Problem is they wouldn't come to us. (I have zero evidence to support this)

So we went to draft with a long term view (and because we had no other choice). Took Weitering first in 2015 because we needed a defender too and he was rated the best player overall. After that we went McKay and Curnow. The latter looks a ripper and the former is still developing. Also got SOJ and TDK in the works and maybe

We have a forward line in the making, but it will take at least another 2 years before it's ready to go and make opposition defenders panic about playing them. But what choice do we have if existing players won't come to Carlton?

Hopefully we can add Kerr and Pickett to that mix.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #35
So what are the likely ins and outs this week. Kruze will miss again  I reckon hence a tall will come in, Phillips or H? Where is Lobbe at?
We need to change up the fwd line, how about LeBois and Kerr? Will SOS stay in the 2s and will Weiters join him? Lang, Willo, Bam Bam? Byrne will be out to injury, personally I think that experiment is over and should never play 1s again.
Lots of questions, lots go change needed coz what we are trying  ain’t working.
Out Polson, Byrne, Weiters
In Bam Bam, H, Kerr
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #36
Yes and no.   To me it was more structural than personal, but the number of times we had no one leading towards the ball carrier and everyone back peddling toward the goals in hope of getting an easy goal.   Lack of space.   No one creating space.   Everyone in the same area.   Bolts and Teague have a lot of work to do.
At the other end the Suns managed the opposite.     So many one on ones.

Yep our forward line was crowded and their FL was wide open allowing Lynch one on ones with Jones or Marchbank, we played seven backman last season
reckon this was the day to go back to that theory and get two players vs Lynch when ever we could...
Scarlett would always have Milburn as the 3rd man up when playing the best Full Forwards, Josh Gibson was often the Milburn at Hawthorn supporting Lake etc....
Problem I have is that the way GC played was a repeat of when they won at Etihad last season.....why are we such slow learners and get burned by the same players each season....
ie Lynch of course with his goals.....but look a bit deeper Kreuzer played and had 10 possies and 23 hitouts........Witts played and had 14 possies and 36 hitouts......
Witts was a factor yet we failed to acknowledge that and played a part time ruck only...ok we had Lobbe out as well and Philips underdone, well I would have played another tall at least or maybe even an underdone Philips plus Mckay just to give Casboult some help plus give Curnow a chop out at FF where he had May and Thompson all over him....

Reply #37
Regardless of Watts' likes or dislikes we didn't even deal ourselves into the game, for reasons which will always remain a mystery to me.

There are potential reasons related to our possible future draft strategies, if things don't pan out there are going to be some very tough questions some people will be asked but they are very unlikely to answer any of them!

I was a Watts booster at the time, I think he adds structure and flexibility. Carlton should be the last club to bag him out, some of his best games came against us when they used him as an onballer!

He didn't do much today, but his presence frees up some others for Port so he does sort of suit their list and stage.

Could Watts have replaced Casboult, would we be equal or better off than we are now?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #38
So what are the likely ins and outs this week. Kruze will miss again  I reckon hence a tall will come in, Phillips or H? Where is Lobbe at?
We need to change up the fwd line, how about LeBois and Kerr? Will SOS stay in the 2s and will Weiters join him? Lang, Willo, Bam Bam? Byrne will be out to injury, personally I think that experiment is over and should never play 1s again.
In Bam Bam, H, Kerr

This weeks ins and outs will certainly be interesting as to whether we stick with looking to the future or we try and steady the ship with some older types. Weiters definitely looks lost and somehow we have to try and fix that. I was thinking he should go to the VFL for a week or two but maybe we should give him one more week to try and settle him in a clearly defined defensive role? Problem is that would be rewarding a wretched effort and set the wrong example - a conundrum to be sure.
If one of Phillips or Lobbe is fit and available then he should come in (assuming Kreuz is still injured). I don't like the idea of Levi being up against Grundy in the ruck all day. Hopefully Kennedy will be available to bolster our midfield.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #39
If one of Phillips or Lobbe is fit and available then he should come in (assuming Kreuz is still injured).

Didn't Phillips play most of the game in Craigieburn, I've heard reports he had 30 or so hit-outs from his ToG and scored a goal?

Which highlights even more how much bullcrap the whole Kreuzer will play charade was!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #40
Didn't Phillips play most of the game in Craigieburn, I've heard reports he had 30 or so hit-outs from his ToG and scored a goal?

Which highlights even more how much bullcrap the whole Kreuzer will play charade was!

I sort of heard that but wasn't sure. Good news if true.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #41
In Bam Bam, H, Kerr
In my opinion:

Out
O'Shea
Mullet
Polson
Byrne (injured)
Weitering

In
Kreuzer (hopefully)
McKay
Kennedy (Graham if still injured)
Kerridge
Jack Silvagni

Maybe Dow for O'Brien. Williamson in as soon as he's fit to play.

Reply #42
I was a Watts booster at the time, I think he adds structure and flexibility. Carlton should be the last club to bag him out, some of his best games came against us when they used him as an onballer!

150 games, just turning 27, averaging about 16 touches and a goal a game in a poorly performing side, excellent skills, and Port paid pick 30 odd for him!
He was pick one and Melbourne supporters have been pissed with him since day one because he's not a champion, but if anyone should know all about that situation and disregard it when assessing him it's Carlton.
We've been taking pot shots at Murphy, Gibbs and Kreuzer for years after all.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #43
150 games, just turning 27, averaging about 16 touches and a goal a game in a poorly performing side, excellent skills, and Port paid pick 30 odd for him!
He was pick one and Melbourne supporters have been pissed with him since day one because he's not a champion, but if anyone should know all about that situation and disregard it when assessing him it's Carlton.

I have no opinion one way or the other re Watts, but if he ended up at Carlton, he would have taken Gibbs' place as the whipping boy du jour.

Reply #44

Now our fans are kicking Weitering, and after just two games the radicals have started questioning Dow's future labelling him a chook runner!

The low draft picks are not the problem, no kid can be expected to lift his game 200% to cover for the surrounding spuds that deliver only 50% of what they should!

It was no accident that when ACoS played in conjunction with Rowe in defence the kids around them lifted, even if the other end of the ground remained rubbish!

We need one half decent KPF aging or not, and to get Rowe or ACoS back in the side to lead the way down back, and we'll be 200% better. At the moment we have zero structure pretty much everywhere you look!
The Force Awakens!