Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 30723 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #45
Now our fans are kicking Weitering, and after just two games the radicals have started questioning Dow's future labelling him a chook runner!

The low draft picks are not the problem, no kid can be expected to lift his game 200% to cover for the surrounding spuds that deliver only 50% of what they should!

It was no accident that when ACoS played in conjunction with Rowe in defence the kids around them lifted, even if the other end of the ground remained rubbish!

We need one half decent KPF aging or not, and to get Rowe or ACoS back in the side to lead the way down back, and we'll be 200% better. At the moment we have zero structure pretty much everywhere you look!

Yet agree......not much leadership let alone protection for the kids last Saturday.

The 2 you mention have presence and don't take any sh1t.

We feed our young to the wolfs then too many so called supporters bag the crap out of them when they don't fight hard enough. I heard some disgusting comments about Weiters on Saturday. I agree he is a boy in a mans body, he hates getting hurt and is now even being targeted IMO by opposition teams to hit him when ever you can cause they know he cant handle it. I agree he needs to learn to take the physical side of the game better and I know he will but FMD give him some time. Only played 2 seasons in one of the worst teams in comp. The minute he has a few quiet games he name is raised as a flop of a pick.  ::)  

Royce Hart would have struggled in our F50 on Saturday. Weiters cops a very hard front on hit that nearly knocked him out yet kicks the goal and comes straight off the ground.

Then to my amazement gets switched again and gets asked to play on a player who already had 7 goals to his name with confidence riding sky high. Was a poor decision by Bolts, not sure how that's supposed to build the boys confidence.  Wouldn't you take the pressure off him rather the putting him under the spotlight!    

Reply #46
I have no opinion one way or the other re Watts, but if he ended up at Carlton, he would have taken Gibbs' place as the whipping boy du jour.

Guaranteed, but in his absence Murphy seems to have stepped into the void.
Daisy has escaped so far this year with a couple of reasonable games but it's only a matter of time methinks.
Maybe the club took a look at Watts and decided we simply had no room for another pariah.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #47
Yet agree......not much leadership let alone protection for the kids last Saturday.

The 2 you mention have presence and don't take any sh1t.

We feed our young to the wolfs then too many so called supporters bag the crap out of them when they don't fight hard enough. I heard some disgusting comments about Weiters on Saturday. I agree he is a boy in a mans body, he hates getting hurt and is now even being targeted IMO by opposition teams to hit him when ever you can cause they know he cant handle it. I agree he needs to learn to take the physical side of the game better and I know he will but FMD give him some time. Only played 2 seasons in one of the worst teams in comp. The minute he has a few quiet games he name is raised as a flop of a pick.  ::)  

Royce Hart would have struggled in our F50 on Saturday. Weiters cops a very hard front on hit that nearly knocked him out yet kicks the goal and comes straight off the ground.

Then to my amazement gets switched again and gets asked to play on a player who already had 7 goals to his name with confidence riding sky high. Was a poor decision by Bolts, not sure how that's supposed to build the boys confidence.  Wouldn't you take the pressure off him rather the putting him under the spotlight!  

re the bold, i can't blame bolts for this.
In the 3rd he tried Weitering forward. He was trying to win the game. In the last he rolled the dice and threw Jones in the ruck to allow Casboult to back forward and provide another marking option we were sorely missing up forward. That meant weitering had to go back to cover Jones.

Obviously neither option worked, but there was no point doing the same thing we were already doing as it clearly wasn't working.

Reply #48
Guaranteed, but in his absence Murphy seems to have stepped into the void.
Daisy has escaped so far this year with a couple of reasonable games but it's only a matter of time methinks.
Maybe the club took a look at Watts and decided we simply had no room for another pariah.

Yes, maybe, but I doubt Watts was interested in any Victorian club. Our trading / recruitment under SOS is like two extremes with no middle ground. Either high end youth (1st round draft picks), or low rent, discarded, cheap, older players. They seem to have no interest in the half decent, established Watts type players. Must be saving their pennies for someone(s) special.

Reply #49
Speaking of players we target during the draft period, I think we really should be going after good players that are consistent but potentially gettable.

We could look at players such as Lachie Hunter or Jack Macrae from the Bulldogs potentially, these guys add to the team, provide depth, and, additionally can hit the scoreboard whilst bringing pressure to the ball. These are the sort of players that would have helped against Gold Coast IMHO. In many ways these types are the Mathew Wright type players, that, are regular but not the absolute top shelf that you have to sell the farm to get.

Reply #50
Yes, maybe, but I doubt Watts was interested in any Victorian club. Our trading / recruitment under SOS is like two extremes with no middle ground. Either high end youth (1st round draft picks), or low rent, discarded, cheap, older players. They seem to have no interest in the half decent, established Watts type players. Must be saving their pennies for someone(s) special.

I don't know why Watts, as a Victorian, wouldn't have been interested in going to a Victorian club, what do you base your opinion on?
And he's more than half decent, his stats place him well above average for players of his size and the positions he plays, but I agree that we seem to have a Sydney or the bush attitude to recruiting.
About the only one of the low rent brigade to work out has been Matty Wright.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #51
Just putting it out there for discussion (based on the post game thread) - given our short supply of bigger players in the midfield, could we try Plowman as a mid this week?

Some of the vids of him in his draft year threw the idea of him in middle around a bit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJfyr50Fl5g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny_Ut5CPA9c

Reply #52
I don't know why Watts, as a Victorian, wouldn't have been interested in going to a Victorian club, what do you base your opinion on?
And he's more than half decent, his stats place him well above average for players of his size and the positions he plays, but I agree that we seem to have a Sydney or the bush attitude to recruiting.
About the only one of the low rent brigade to work out has been Matty Wright.

I think Watts wanted a fresh start somewhere away from all the sh1t he'd copped since day 1. I think he may have preferred one of the East Coast clubs, to get away from the real AFL hot spots, but I guess some things (coach, money etc) may have influenced his final choice. I just base this on guess work, nothing more, nothing less.

And yes, agree about Wright 100%. Absolute bargain and my current favourite player along with CC.

Reply #53
Another problem created by our abysmal draft record is that we don't have those good, average players around the 100 game mark who are attractive to other clubs to fill holes on their list, the more successful clubs continually improve their lists by turning over these types of players but at Carlton the only players we have with any trade value we can't afford to lose.
None of this can be fixed in the short term, in fact one of our biggest challenges will be holding on to our young quality players long enough to see some finals success.
If anyone had told me that we'd end up like this back in the 1990's I'd have thought that they were stark raving mad, but here we are. 

Reply #54

What a coincidence you bring this up, I wrote in another thread we did exactly the same to Weitering last year, after Lynchy had 6 on Rowe! Only our fans forget Weitering quietened Lynch down last season, but perhaps not after being elbowed in the face by a flying defender though! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55
re the bold, i can't blame bolts for this.
In the 3rd he tried Weitering forward. He was trying to win the game. In the last he rolled the dice and threw Jones in the ruck to allow Casboult to back forward and provide another marking option we were sorely missing up forward. That meant weitering had to go back to cover Jones.

Obviously neither option worked, but there was no point doing the same thing we were already doing as it clearly wasn't working.

Interesting perspective, I would say we moved Casboult forward as a last resort, having tried him in the ruck and floating defensively inside D50, it was all that we had left to do with him and it happened at the expense of others! You write like moving Casboult into F50 was doing the others some sort of favour, it's the only place on the ground we could hide him!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #56
Pies hit hard again with injuries and good time to get them IMO. They could have at least 8 of their best 21 out.

Moore is out for 4 weeks, Fosolo and Blair only played a half in the VFL practice match so unlikely and Wells, De Goey and Elliott yet to play any footy this year so unlikely to come straight in. Plus Reid was pulled out of last weeks game and Broomhead is out for the year.

Don't ask me why but reckon we are big chance to take the points if Kreuzer can return and we play a style similar to middle of last year.

Or dish up the rubbish we did this week and they hammer us.

Interesting week and heat will turn up further on Bolts if we go 0/3.

Reply #57
Interesting perspective, I would say we moved Casboult forward as a last resort, having tried him in the ruck and floating defensively inside D50, it was all that we had left to do with him and it happened at the expense of others! You write like moving Casboult into F50 was doing the others some sort of favour, it's the only place on the ground we could hide him!

Take your thoughts about Casboult out of it for a second.
He was our #1 forward....going into the game, who hadn't played forward during the game.
Last resort or otherwise, its what he knows, and we as a team expect to see. Why would we not try it?

Reply #58
Pies hit hard again with injuries and good time to get them IMO. They could have at least 8 of their best 21 out.

Moore is out for 4 weeks, Fosolo and Blair only played a half in the VFL practice match so unlikely and Wells, De Goey and Elliott yet to play any footy this year so unlikely to come straight in. Plus Reid was pulled out of last weeks game and Broomhead is out for the year.

Don't ask me why but reckon we are big chance to take the points if Kreuzer can return and we play a style similar to middle of last year.

Or dish up the rubbish we did this week and they hammer us.

Interesting week and heat will turn up further on Bolts if we go 0/3.

I'm sure BB will be desperate to get a win this week. Team selection is going to be very interesting and I think we'll be seeing at least a couple of the older faces back in.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #59
This weeks ins and outs will certainly be interesting as to whether we stick with looking to the future or we try and steady the ship with some older types. Weiters definitely looks lost and somehow we have to try and fix that. I was thinking he should go to the VFL for a week or two but maybe we should give him one more week to try and settle him in a clearly defined defensive role? Problem is that would be rewarding a wretched effort and set the wrong example - a conundrum to be sure.
If one of Phillips or Lobbe is fit and available then he should come in (assuming Kreuz is still injured). I don't like the idea of Levi being up against Grundy in the ruck all day. Hopefully Kennedy will be available to bolster our midfield.

Grundy being 202cm won't be as hard as Witts at 209, given Levi's effort in round 1 against Nankervis when thrown into the ruck. Just make sure we play McKay too so there both some help and a tall target up forward. They'll be some value around the ground.