Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood (Read 30787 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 3: Pre game Palaver; Carlton vs. Collingwood

Reply #90
Agreed, returning from significant injuries is a problem for both.

But sooner or later SPF, we have to pull the trigger, what is the point of drafting this talent while we keep on keeping on with the same old same old crew delivering rubbish like last weekend?

Even if they are crap, at least I get to see a new face delivering it!

LP I think one or both are very close to selection. They have only just finished the last round of practice games, this unfortunately was the only hit out they had prior to now. If you're going to play them, perhaps now is not a bad time, the other teams are still getting their fitness base up after the season start, however I think you would have to manage them. Either of Kerr or McKay for instance could be played off a wing or half forward flank, this would mean the defenders have to run with and give the young guys a run at the ball. Parking them in the forward 50 would simply invite rebounds from our forward half.

If you going to park anyone in the forward 50, it has to be either Casboult of Rowe IMHO. They are the best we have right now. Alex Silvagni on the lead, also bash and crash them inside 50. This would keep the defense honest at least. They would not be able to zone off at will.

Reply #91
On another issue.

I think it would be a mistake to bring SoJ back immediately, let him string two or three good games together first and not just a VFL practice match.

If you going to park anyone in the forward 50, it has to be either Casboult of Rowe IMHO. They are the best we have right now. Alex Silvagni on the lead, also bash and crash them inside 50. This would keep the defense honest at least. They would not be able to zone off at will.

I think you can park ACoS there because it's clear the game and winning means something to him, he'll be very vocal and the kids will not be left wondering what should have happened!

Anyway, injury wise ACoS is 3 to 4 weeks away at best.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92
On another issue.

I think it would be a mistake to bring SoJ back immediately, let him string two or three good games together first and not just a VFL practice match.

Agreed. Most here were saying he needs a spell in the 2s but want him back in the side because we lost.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #93
Agree with finding a role up forward for ASOC or Rowe for two reasons.  1. We need some fillers while our forward line takes shape with the likes of McKay, Kerr, Pickett (inj) not yet ready to hold a regular place and 2. We want our back six for the next ten years to work together, so keep them together (Simmo survives warnings Docs's spot).  We don't want Rowe or ACOS down there unless injuries play a part.

Reply #95
Cox in, there's our first lucky break.

Reply #96
Cox in, there's our first lucky break.
Knowing  our luck Cox will probabaly star ,we seem to have a habit of bringing players into form ,hope I am wrong though 

Reply #98
Agree with finding a role up forward for ASOC or Rowe for two reasons.  1. We need some fillers while our forward line takes shape with the likes of McKay, Kerr, Pickett (inj) not yet ready to hold a regular place and 2. We want our back six for the next ten years to work together, so keep them together (Simmo survives warnings Docs's spot).  We don't want Rowe or ACOS down there unless injuries play a part.

I agree with all those sentiments except I don't call them fillers up forward, they are the role models, teachers, tone setters.

At the moment our young forwards are learning off Casboult, whatever are they learning? :o

Am I being unfair?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #99
Do you think starting 2018 that Casboult is a new untested prospect?

The club has had a long time to address the Casboult / KPF issue, it's hasn't just happened since BB and SOS arrived.

In regard to Kerr and McKay, I've written the exact opposite of what you conclude, I have no idea where the other half of the conversation in your head is coming from.

Of course it hasn't. The club's strategy has been much more far reaching than just aiming to relieve your anxieties about Levi. That strategy was, as we all know, to do a complete rebuild and to bring in SOS and BB to execute that, As part of that we have Harry and Kerr on board and under development and we are no doubt searching for others as we speak.

In the meantime we look like we have two short term transition options in Sam Rowe or ACOS. I have no problem if we try them out tbh but we have been largely prevented from that recently because of injuries.

Again you are letting your hatred for someone distract you, and btw I was asking you a question not trying to imply that I Know what's going on in your mind  :o. I have concluded nothing about Harry and Kerr - other than that they are on our books and we are hopeful, otherwise the jury is out.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #100
I agree with all those sentiments except I don't call them fillers up forward, they are the role models, teachers, tone setters.

At the moment our young forwards are learning off Casboult, whatever are they learning? :o

Am I being unfair?

The long bow is out of the cabinet again?

Reply #101
Reality is that Kerr was pick 65, even Jack was pick 53...only Harry and Charlie C would be seen as a good chance to make it....

Harry has a lot of pressure on him to make it and I reckon the footy dept want that pressure on slow release and wont be playing him in the seniors if they dont have to..

This season is probably a write off in terms of ladder position making major progress etc  and the forward line is still very experimental. if I was guessing I think the club will try and recruit a more readymade KP Forward for 2019 to help take the heat off the kids and also win some games as the pressure builds on Bolton and SOS.

Reply #102
The long bow is out of the cabinet again?

Give me your alternatives, which player do you put besides the kids for them to learn off? Who leads them in F50?

If you want to ask critical questions, accept that the questions you pose imply a position whether you mean it or not. If you fail to make the meaning behind a question explicit, I'm free to infer whatever I like!

Again you are letting your hatred for someone distract you,

Not hatred, reality, we know what Casboult delivers, do we want more of the same from our young recruits?

Who sets the kids on the straight and narrow Cookie2, or who sends them off the rails! Is it only the coaching staff, or do those around them contribute to the long term outcome?

Is Casboult a positive or negative contributing factor or is he a nothing, he must be at least one of those options?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #103
Give me your alternatives, which player do you put besides the kids for them to learn off? Who leads them in F50?

If you want to ask critical questions, accept that the questions you pose imply a position whether you mean it or not.

Not hatred, reality, we know what Casboult delivers, do we want more of the same from our young recruits?

Who sets them on the straight and narrow Cookie2, or who sends them off the rails! Is it only the coaching staff, or do those around them contribute to the long term outcome?

Casboult as we all know is year by year proposition and I very much doubt that he has any real role to play in the coaching of young players, in the same way as you vehemently pointed out some time ago would Lobbe. The youngsters are going currently going through a development process mapped out by the club, playing mainly in the VFL so far, and both Kerr and Harry have not even played alongside Levi that much. Do you think that BB says to them "I'm taking  you both to watch the seniors today and I want you both to watch Levi closely, be in wonder and learn".  :))

PS. Beware of trying to interpret what people may or may not be implying - tricky process that.

Reply #104
Levi is filling a role...but he's not a role model...I don't think anyone regards him as such.
With Kreuzer out he's been asked to shoulder a bit of extra weight.
As a result he's probably being marked a bit more harshly than usual...and he's usually marked pretty harshly.
I feel a bit sorry for him...expectations have always been high but who has he had in the side to learn from?
Who has been his KPF mentor?
He's also our only mature key forward at the moment....and that's been the case for some time.
It actually makes you think about sticking Rowe and A. Silvagni into that forward line with Casboult and rotating the young'uns through.
While not necessarily role models they offer maturity, experience and a bit of protection.