Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW announce 'conferences' for 2019 (Read 10413 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW announce 'conferences' for 2019

Reply #30
That was poorly written on my part, and poorly interpreted on your part. ;D
You would only play the other teams in your division. You would play them twice. A total of 18 games -Home and Away-Plus a four or five team final series. Less games, much simpler.  If you want to call it a conference and do away with the promotion /relegation fine.

So what you're saying is given where all the teams are currently.

We would play against GC, Freo, Adelaide, St. Kilda, Brisbane, Bulldogs twice....as well as 2 new teams twice.

But wouldn't play against Collingwood or Richmond at all....and Essendon just sneak into the bottom section, but would most likely go up the next year meaning that we wouldn't play any of the other big 4 (including traditionals Melbourne, Hawthorn and Geelong).

Yeah, nah.

Not many games for me to get excited about seeing. With teams like that our gate takings would fall through the floor as well as interest in the team. $'s would dry up. We hand back the keys.

Good plan  :P ;)

Reply #31
Just to clarify I don't think promotion and relegation is a suitable solution.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
So what you're saying is given where all the teams are currently.

We would play against GC, Freo, Adelaide, St. Kilda, Brisbane, Bulldogs twice....as well as 2 new teams twice.

But wouldn't play against Collingwood or Richmond at all....and Essendon just sneak into the bottom section, but would most likely go up the next year meaning that we wouldn't play any of the other big 4 (including traditionals Melbourne, Hawthorn and Geelong).

Yeah, nah.

Not many games for me to get excited about seeing. With teams like that our gate takings would fall through the floor as well as interest in the team. $'s would dry up. We hand back the keys.

Good plan  :P ;)

It's not going to happen of course.The divisions/conferences I posted were just a  starting point. It would be very flexible and top drawing teams would be moving up and down on a regular basis but promotion/ relegation is not a concept that would be easily sold to the masses. I don't mind your conference set up. There is a different problem though with the fixed conferences you outlined earlier in the thread. The AFL wouldn't approve a conference with all the top drawing sides in one group as occurs in your East group. If I was Swans official I wouldn't be too happy with my place in the North conference. It's hard to make everyone happy.The only fair system is every team playing the other twice. We'll have to wait for a few dropouts.

Reply #33
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-07/aflw-2019-all-you-need-to-know-about-system

So there is an explanation into how the AFLW conference system will work.

As usual, its half-ar$ed.

Points of note.
- It is not set conferences - The team breakdown in each conference will change every year.
- Top 2 from each conference play finals
- Top of each conference gets a home final against 2nd of the other conference - THIS IS IMPORTANT - It means that you can have a grand final between 2 teams in the same conference.
- You play your own conference once, and 3 from the other conference for a total of 7 games.
- Finals is same time as R1 and R2 of the AFL season.

Basically, the only part of this that is calls for the 'conference' tag, is that there is no combined ladder. Its top 2 from each conference that makes finals, NOT top 4 from 10 teams in the traditional ladder.

The fact that the conferences are not set is also disappointing. No chance to build up a rivalry, which is half the appeal of a conference system in the first place.

...but baby steps. It IS a step in the right direction.

The main appeal of this system in AFLW is less dead rubber games, you don't need to finish top 4, you just need to finish top 2 in your conference.
Thats the main reason i want it brought in for the mens game, as well as providing an AFL tamper proof, even, draw.