Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 for 2014 (Read 123472 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 for 2014

Reply #255
199?

Wow, thats a bit of a growth spurt.  He started off about 196 from memory, possibly 197.  In any case, that puts him in the frame of short ruckman, so that can only be a good thing.

Special K only 200cm.

You'd reckon Levi would have a bigger leap of late too?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #256
Maybe although PCL injuries may have caused him some grief.  He is more centre half forward than anything else.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #257
Maybe although PCL injuries may have caused him some grief.  He is more centre half forward than anything else.

MK? I'm not so sure. Once teams worked out his issues with body contact in marking contests, it was over.

Reply #258

MK? I'm not so sure. Once teams worked out his issues with body contact in marking contests, it was over.

MK is not a forward's asshole, has been tried many a time up forward (even when fit) and failed to impact the game.

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #259
Was watching the richmond final from last year and there was even a kick to Kreuzer on the lead on the wing in the first quarter that the twig Grimes was able to make Kreuzer drop with minimal contact. Isolated incident I know, but for his size, ability and status he needs to be doing way more aerially any way.

I agree that he really struggles up forward, I expected more forward nous from him but he just doesn't look natural. That being said if we do play Hendo forward and if Waites stays fit, Kreuzer on a 3rd tall would be much better. This is what recruiters like Hawthorns understand and ours dont, and why they will be trendsetters while everyone plays catch up.

The replay reminded how good Gibbs was going towards the end of last year, hope to god he improves on it. I also think Bell will be playing round 1, there is a saying that big bodies only get bigger as the game goes on. Loving the thought of Gibbs, Bell and Cripps all in there.

Reply #260
Was watching the richmond final from last year and there was even a kick to Kreuzer on the lead on the wing in the first quarter that the twig Grimes was able to make Kreuzer drop with minimal contact. Isolated incident I know, but for his size, ability and status he needs to be doing way more aerially any way.

I agree that he really struggles up forward, I expected more forward nous from him but he just doesn't look natural. That being said if we do play Hendo forward and if Waites stays fit, Kreuzer on a 3rd tall would be much better. This is what recruiters like Hawthorns understand and ours dont, and why they will be trendsetters while everyone plays catch up.

The replay reminded how good Gibbs was going towards the end of last year, hope to god he improves on it. I also think Bell will be playing round 1, there is a saying that big bodies only get bigger as the game goes on. Loving the thought of Gibbs, Bell and Cripps all in there.

Surely with regard to Special K it's now a confidence thing?

If he is fit and gets an extended run of games, I have little doubt he'll rediscover his mojo.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #261

MK is not a forward's asshole, has been tried many a time up forward (even when fit) and failed to impact the game.

Probably not the nicest way to voice your opinion. Not a forwards asshole ? Really ?
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #262
You mean?

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #263

Probably not the nicest way to voice your opinion. Not a forwards asshole ? Really ?

It's not meant to offend, it's a figure of speech.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #264

Na we were talking about Casboult.

At the end of the day, both of them are what they are, and were hurt more by the lack of other forward targets than their abilities to play forward.

Matty Kreuzer was going well when Fev was down there, and his drop in ability to play forward just happened to coincide with Fev's departure.  You get Waite and Hendo down there, and I reckon Kreuzer will come to the fore with his ability to play forward.

Ditto Casboult.  He is a big lug of a bloke who struggles by himself, and the answer is, opposing defences are able to cope better.  The best talls in the game today always seem to have other targets sharing forward fifty with them to make them play one out.  That is the key to making a key forward shine.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #265

Na we were talking about Casboult.

At the end of the day, both of them are what they are, and were hurt more by the lack of other forward targets than their abilities to play forward.

Matty Kreuzer was going well when Fev was down there, and his drop in ability to play forward just happened to coincide with Fev's departure.  You get Waite and Hendo down there, and I reckon Kreuzer will come to the fore with his ability to play forward.

Ditto Casboult.  He is a big lug of a bloke who struggles by himself, and the answer is, opposing defences are able to cope better.  The best talls in the game today always seem to have other targets sharing forward fifty with them to make them play one out.  That is the key to making a key forward shine.

Nail.hit.head re our tall blokes playing forward IMO Thry.

I have said that we need probably two other marking taller types to play forward with someone like MK, Rowe or Cas. Just Waite and Casboult for example with 4 smalls around them is not the answer and does not work IMO. We now have mult-positional players that we can use back and forward as marking targets such as - Walker, Everitt, Henderson, Waite, Watson, White, Giles). They are taller types that with say a Waite and a MK or Casboult can help out. Replying on Garlett or Yarran (used to be Betts) to play the marking forward is not on.

The other thing for me is the MK, Cas and Rowe need to play deeper forward as they just don't seem to be the CHF type of guys. Maybe if we don't want both Waite and Hendo forward with say a MK, Rowe or Cas then we should look at one of Waite/Hendo and one of MK/Rowe/Cas and 1-2 of Walker, Everitt, Watson, White or Giles.

Reply #266
As long as we play TWO key forwards all game every game, we are too easy for the better teams as their defenders just sag off. We need to make sure we are creating one on ones and keeping opposition defenders occupied. Then the likes of Garlett, Yarran, Walker if he plays forward, Menzel and co will have greater impact, not to mention the resting ruck.

Reply #267

Surely with regard to Special K it's now a confidence thing?

If he is fit and gets an extended run of games, I have little doubt he'll rediscover his mojo.

I can only hope you are right flyboy. He can string a couple of good games together but not much more. I remember everyone getting on Hendo's back but boy is confidence an amazing thing. Hope for his and our sake he finds whatever Hendo found.