Skip to main content
Topic: Best 22 for 2014 (Read 123457 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Best 22 for 2014

Reply #270
Maybe although PCL injuries may have caused him some grief.  He is more centre half forward than anything else.

MK? I'm not so sure. Once teams worked out his issues with body contact in marking contests, it was over.

MK is not a forward's asshole, has been tried many a time up forward (even when fit) and failed to impact the game.

I actually thought MKs efforts on Monday were very promising. Dropped a shightload of marks but that was down to rustiness. The main thing is he consistently beat his man to get his hands to the ball first in the marking contest. That's his weakness. Fix that and the rest will come with match fitness.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #271
http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2014-02-25/cfc-tv-cripps-post-match

The lad has exceptionally quick hands. Will be a gem.
As Bruce would say, does look 'Special'.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #272

Starts with special, and then moves to delicious. ;D
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #273

Should have been 50 against Sloane after Cripps took that mark early on in the highlights reel?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #274
I think so, you cant pull his pants down after he has marked the footy.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #275
I think Cripps will be there in the 22 come rd 1 now, considering Judd and Carrots and he deserves it. I also think I like Everitt in the forward line especially with his goal kicking seeming to be decent. Playing him as a 3rd tall would really stretch defences behind Waite and Hendo. All 3 are mobile as well which is good.

I think the Hawks had the perfect set up last year and I wouldnt mind seeing, Waite and Hendo (Buddy and Roughy) Everitt/Walker (Gunston) Kreuzer (Hale) Warnock (Bailey). Not the same quality of players I know but I think its more structured and potent.

Reply #276
I think Cripps will be there in the 22 come rd 1 now, considering Judd and Carrots and he deserves it. I also think I like Everitt in the forward line especially with his goal kicking seeming to be decent. Playing him as a 3rd tall would really stretch defences behind Waite and Hendo. All 3 are mobile as well which is good.

I think the Hawks had the perfect set up last year and I wouldnt mind seeing, Waite and Hendo (Buddy and Roughy) Everitt/Walker (Gunston) Kreuzer (Hale) Warnock (Bailey). Not the same quality of players I know but I think its more structured and potent.

Yep I agree with this setup. We need structure in our big blokes, depth in our running and midfield stocks.

Its hard to know what level our big blokes are capable of getting to. We certainly need blokes that are more durable than we currently have. They just don't get on the park often enough and top fitness at the one time. Hopefully this changes.

Reply #277

Yep I agree with this setup. We need structure in our big blokes, depth in our running and midfield stocks.

Its hard to know what level our big blokes are capable of getting to. We certainly need blokes that are more durable than we currently have. They just don't get on the park often enough and top fitness at the one time. Hopefully this changes.

Exactly right Pratty. The fact they dont play a lot together is a major problem, and the setup I mentioned will only work if Jamo and Watson can stay fit and in-form so we don't have to swing Waite or Hendo back. Which means we are back to our lame 1 key forward 1 ruck forward line setup.

For mine, Hendo has to play forward for most of the year no matter what is happening at the other end as we need to see if he has what it takes to become the man up forward and be the one to build the forward line around for the future. Because if not we may need to get the cheque book out soon, because Waite hasnt got long and the likes of Casboult are still long shots. A spine of Jamison, Watson, Henderson and Waite has to play most if not every game.

Reply #278

Exactly right Pratty. The fact they dont play a lot together is a major problem, and the setup I mentioned will only work if Jamo and Watson can stay fit and in-form so we don't have to swing Waite or Hendo back. Which means we are back to our lame 1 key forward 1 ruck forward line setup.

For mine, Hendo has to play forward for most of the year no matter what is happening at the other end as we need to see if he has what it takes to become the man up forward and be the one to build the forward line around for the future. Because if not we may need to get the cheque book out soon, because Waite hasnt got long and the likes of Casboult are still long shots. A spine of Jamison, Watson, Henderson and Waite has to play most if not every game.

They do have to play most if not every game I do agree 100% Jean-Claude because we certainly didn't trade in or draft any ready-made big blokes. Giles looks a good kid to have IMO and Watson has shown some good early signs that we hope continue but we decided not to go after the likes of Jesse White and Luke Delaney and didn't draft in  Joel Tippett or Mitch Thorp for example so we need our big blokes to stand up. Pressure and spotlight is fair and square on them which is fine with me. They fall over then we seriously need to look at their futures. We simply need players that play longer (in any position but partic the bigger blokes) so that we can build our structures and flanks, etc around.

Reply #279
Faith had obviously been placed in our existing talls brigade - they have this year to show it's justified. Otherwise there will be a big clear out and rebuild in that area IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #280
Perhaps the club felt that the talls on offer were not an improvement over those we have.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #281

They do have to play most if not every game I do agree 100% Jean-Claude because we certainly didn't trade in or draft any ready-made big blokes. Giles looks a good kid to have IMO and Watson has shown some good early signs that we hope continue but we decided not to go after the likes of Jesse White and Luke Delaney and didn't draft in  Joel Tippett or Mitch Thorp for example so we need our big blokes to stand up. Pressure and spotlight is fair and square on them which is fine with me. They fall over then we seriously need to look at their futures. We simply need players that play longer (in any position but partic the bigger blokes) so that we can build our structures and flanks, etc around.

x2.

@cookie and djc

I think you both make correct comments. There is no point in making changes for changes sake only and you waste more time trying to get someone on the right page. But yes I do think there is interesting times ahead in the bigs department, Malthouse wont get caught sitting on his hands me thinks and will look to bring someone in I feel, unlike after 2011 when we just expected things to happen rather than make it.

Reply #282
@JC, he'll have no choice but to make it happen next season. There'll be a bit of coin to spend as well you'd imagine.

Reply #283
Nobody had Buckley in their starting 22 for 2014.  Is he a chance and who does he replace??

Reply #284
Nobody had Buckley in their starting 22 for 2014.  Is he a chance and who does he replace??

He's definitely a chance for mine but may be in the queue, same for Ellard. Having said that., those two boys and Crippsy have given us a little bit of extra go and dynamic so I am pretty happy with that.

Having said that, Bucks can play small forward and wing so he can play a variety of roles and Ellard is a different type of small forward tatn we've had - different to Betts, Garlett and Yarran and I like that!