Skip to main content
Topic: blues played better footy under ratts (Read 16795 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: blues played better footy under ratts

Reply #30
I think most people had the expectation that MM would get us to a final within 2-3 yrs because it's MM.
Yes and why wouldn't you have expected that given we cancelled the incumbent coach's contract to get MM :-\
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #31
I think most people had the expectation that MM would get us to a final within 2-3 yrs because it's MM.

We were a team with young players, who struggled with the defensive side of the game, was inconsistent and in recent times struggled against the best sides. It seemed that tweaking was all that was needed. Finals seemed a more than reasonable expectation but Now we're an old rubbish bottom 8 side and we say the players are no good because the guy who gets the blame if the players aren't woeful says so.
we are now an older side with no defensive side to their game who is struggling to change the way they played footy. A leopard doesn't change its spots, and Malthouse is not able to tweak the side accordingly.  The trouble being that they can no longer do the attacking game as well as they used to due to reduced interchange, sub rule and the older team not having the running power that they used to, and our younger players seem to be struggling with everything.  It's why we are inconsistent.   The worst part is we can't decrease the load on the elder players because of our poor development and can't even carry them through their "elder" years anymore as we require them to be the game winners that they used to be.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #32
ahh, just bury the hatchet
give ratts a call find out how he's going

Reply #33

We were a team with young players, who struggled with the defensive side of the game, was inconsistent and in recent times struggled against the best sides. It seemed that tweaking was all that was needed. Finals seemed a more than reasonable expectation but Now we're an old rubbish bottom 8 side and we say the players are no good because the guy who gets the blame if the players aren't woeful says so.

In a nutshell.

@Jon Dorotich

If things don't turn this year I don't want to place another season's worth of drafting and trading in his hands.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #34

In a nutshell.

@Jon Dorotich

If things don't turn this year I don't want to place another season's worth of drafting and trading in his hands.

Agreed - he's proven that he should be nowhere near the trade table

Reply #35
The loser mentality is no more exemplified than by the twats that wanted Ratts gone because because they thought we could win a premiership and now that they have their new coach, blame the players. That's a loser mentality if I ever saw one.
One of our cultural negatives at the moment is the wish for instant gratification. We, as a club, have fallen into the habit of expecting it. Not even the great Ronald Dale Barassi managed a premiership in his first year. It took 4 years to reach the reward after a generation of mediocrity. We went through huge changes in that 4 years on and off the field and we changed over a large portion of the list to do it.
We have to be patient now: nobody is going to turn us into a premiership team overnight. Ratten should be acknowledged for the job he did with our list: he turned a bunch of battlers into finalists. It IS where our expectations came from. However, I doubt that Ratts would have won us a flag: he was too comfortable with the list as it was and didn't move players on. In fact, his biggest weakness was his faith in the players: he wouldn't move them until too late.
He will be a better coach now for the experience at Hawthorn, but that is another issue.
The blow torch is now on the players, as we DO have a proven coach. Fair enough. But that lack of support and a negative comments towards our players isn't helping them gain any confidence.
Yes, we will have to make considerable changes at the end of the season. Malthouse took years to develop his list at Collingwood: it will take a while with us too. But the character assassinations of our players from outsiders like us do not help. Let's see if we can be a bit more realistic: our list is not going to change significantly until November and Malthouse has said that he isn't going to play kids just to play kids. He will wait until they are at least minimally ready to play senior footy. Then he will see if they have what it takes. But sacrificing them now isn't going to help us in the short or medium terms.
We have started the renewal process: we have a new off field leader. Let's have a little patience and a little faith as the changes start, because we are NOT going to beat everybody by magic! It takes time and development, not instant gratificiation.

Yep, excellent post.... Which reminds me of situation during Parko's second stint with us. In the second year of that stint (in 92 from mem), he quizzed the senior leadership group at selection, about what they thought was the reason for the sides poor performances. Sticks suggested that they needed to stop chopping and changing the side, to forgo instant results at the expense of long term stability and development.

Clearly the benefits apply to the coach as well. You simply can't keep chopping and changing, your gonna be better served in the long term by doing what's goal achieving rather than tension relieving.

And in anticipation of comparisons to having changed coach re Ratts, there's a 5+ year stint in comparison to 1 1/2 year stint. Madness to be calling for change again.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #36

spot on Crashlander. Very good post!
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #37
I totally understand the need for patience.
I was one who was critical of the coach change but I said  to myself "we'll give Malthouse time" because he has to get a good understanding of the list, and the players have to get a handle on his game plan and instructions.
I wasn't critical of him last year.....I'm still not too critical of him now.
But there comes a point where he has to "throw us a bone" to keep us happy.
I think there's a lot of faith around at the moment......but little to show for it.
You can't "dine out" on faith
"Mick's the man for the job" may be right......but at the moment I see us as worse than last year.

Let's forget about comparing "Mick to Ratten"   that's a circular argument that's been done to death.
Let's compare "Mick to Mick"....Are we a better side in 2014 than we were in 2013?
We show glimpses of good form and a bit of fight from time to time as in the two matches leading up to the Collingwood game, but even in those games we played in patches.

Now if at the end of the year we can look back and say that was a better season than last year...then Mick gets a tick.
What we need to see over the rest of the year is signs that things are improving.
If they don't you can't expect folk to "live" on faith, and there will be criticism.

The only way to stop criticism is do what Barassi and Parkin did....... win flags.

Reply #38
Well said lods and let's be honest here, the guy does himself no favours. His behaviour in the press conferences is like a big 'FU members and supporters, I'm answerable to no one'. It typifies the club's attitude to members and supporters since Swann came to the club and actually mirrors Swann's behaviour to us on the radio as well. Treating members like a given and then you have Sticks coming out in the media and trying to smooth things over.....more contradiction. I'm over it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!