Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Casey Sat 10th May at Visy (Read 13937 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues vs. Casey Sat 10th May at Visy

Reply #15
So if I'm reading this right.......... :o

Both teams kicked 6 goals in the 2nd quarter....
No one scored in the 3rd,
and they kicked 1 goal 2 in the last to our nil.....again? :-\ :-\

Really?
2014 Peter Jackson VFL
Northern Blues   2.1  4.3  8.7  8.7 (55)
Casey Scorpions   3.2  8.5  9.9  10.11 (71)

GOALS:
Northern Blues: Bransgrove 2 Wilson 2 Byrne  Cattapan  Wood  Temay
Casey Scorpions: Smith 5 Tapscott 2 Rosier  Hunt  Michie

BEST:
Northern Blues: Cachia Graham McInnes Bransgrove Anthony Tardio
Casey Scorpions: Blease Smith McKenzie Michie Riley Barry

Updated. Still not what you'd call good. Apparently we were almost 5 goals down at one point and came back to be only 8 points adrift. Then it was a nil all draw in the last quarter.

I haven't read any reports yet, but they can't be good. The last 3 weeks have been real disappointments.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #16
Graham is an average plodder.
No improvement on say Ellard, Curnow etc.

Chances are we will ever know Dom.

Once the wise one makes up his mind you are cooked. Frankly I don't reckon MM knows what the guys running around in the magoos can do.

He probably went yesterday (can anyone confirm?) but the way the fixture clashes with the Senior team he probably wouldn't recognise half the players in a NB jumper. The guy lives in a bubble.

Mate, we may not be doing too well at the minute, but give the guy some credit.
You don't stick around in this business for 30 years if you don't know half the players on your list.
Sick of people screaming for Nick Graham to be given a chance just because he racks up the possies in the VFL.
Ever see how Graham uses the ball when he gets it ? Not too well from what I see.  Goes to ground too easily too.
That's just what we need at senior level, Another butcher who cant keep his feet.

Reply #17
I'd like to see Graham get a few games to show if he can make it or not. His disposal can be less than perfect, but he really does get into the right spot at VFL level and the ruckmen trust him to get the ball and extract it. We just haven't seen that at senior level yet. I want to see if he has what it takes to become that extractor and that means he has to get a few games up.
At the moment, I'd be surprised if he became a star, but I'd really like to see him have enough of a chance to be realistically assessed.
I'd also like to see Cachia get a go for the same reason. he played fairly well for about half of last year as a tagger. Now he is getting the ball out as well. I'd like to see if he can translate that form into senior footy, especially with Carrots and Judd not being there at the moment.
Again, I am not expecting miracles, but I want to be sure and I want everyone to be sure as to whether he is the answer or not.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
A bit early to call re. Graham I know but I just get the same bland vanilla feeling about him as I do about Gibbs, only he's probably not going to be as good as Gibbs. Another "never sweat" in my opinion, does not appear to play with much fire or passion. Not likely to be a high impact player. I stand to be corrected and I hope he comes good.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #19
A bit early to call re. Graham I know but I just get the same bland vanilla feeling about him as I do about Gibbs, only he's probably not going to be as good as Gibbs. Another "never sweat" in my opinion, does not appear to play with much fire or passion. Not likely to be a high impact player. I stand to be corrected and I hope he comes good.

Don't think he offers anything more than what the senior side has already got in spades.

Reply #20

Don't think he offers anything more than what the senior side has already got in spades.

We need blokes who can not only get the aggott but can and do hurt the opposition with their disposal. Unfortunately, most of Nick's disposals do not do that. If you want to see his opposite, check out Docherty's disposal.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #21
Wood dominated in the ruck - gave Graham an armchair ride in the first half then fed Cachia in the second.

Graham knows how to gather possessions from rick hit outs and also by dropping in short for soft uncontested possessions - main deficiency ATM is in using the ball effectively by foot - not that he is a bad kick - just seems to lack anything special

Thought Cachia was the more effective of the two - he was instrumental in the 3rd term resurgence.

Still not impressed by Temay - not big enough, fast enough, strong enough or anything else enough - seems unable to win the ball one-on-one - has to have everything in his favour to get the ball but does seem to use it well when he gets it - doesn't chase - he always seems to be directing a teammate to do it for him

Liked the way Holman and Reynolds moved and handled the ball last week but both were poor in the sloshy conditions against Casey.

Johnson looks like he might be a good VFL player - certainly attacks the contest better than Temay.

Giles lacks acceleration although not as slow as Watson because he gets to some contests - needs to develop some closing speed if he is going to be led to most contests

Bootsma has beefed up from scrawny to just a bit better than skinny - still could make it because he has a decent go.

Cripps looks the part - Lucas doesn't - McInness is purely defensive - The two Ciarin's look the goods physically and athletically - just a matter of learning the game

Excellent selection this week - making Watson the AFL emergency - he didn't get to be non-competitive with either team.

Reply #22
Nice to see you back in form, RR. Always a pleasure to read your posts.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #23
Wood dominated in the ruck - gave Graham an armchair ride in the first half then fed Cachia in the second.

Graham knows how to gather possessions from rick hit outs and also by dropping in short for soft uncontested possessions - main deficiency ATM is in using the ball effectively by foot - not that he is a bad kick - just seems to lack anything special

Thought Cachia was the more effective of the two - he was instrumental in the 3rd term resurgence.

Still not impressed by Temay - not big enough, fast enough, strong enough or anything else enough - seems unable to win the ball one-on-one - has to have everything in his favour to get the ball but does seem to use it well when he gets it - doesn't chase - he always seems to be directing a teammate to do it for him

Liked the way Holman and Reynolds moved and handled the ball last week but both were poor in the sloshy conditions against Casey.

Johnson looks like he might be a good VFL player - certainly attacks the contest better than Temay.

Giles lacks acceleration although not as slow as Watson because he gets to some contests - needs to develop some closing speed if he is going to be led to most contests

Bootsma has beefed up from scrawny to just a bit better than skinny - still could make it because he has a decent go.

Cripps looks the part - Lucas doesn't - McInness is purely defensive - The two Ciarin's look the goods physically and athletically - just a matter of learning the game

Excellent selection this week - making Watson the AFL emergency - he didn't get to be non-competitive with either team.

Graham has no depth in his kicking and needs to look at some tapes of Sam Mitchell and learn how to use the ball better by hand and get a left foot.

Agree on Johnson......something to work with, maybe needs another couple of kg's on the frame..

Temay...dud pck...delist material.

Holman is a sloppy slam it on the boot kick...

Reynolds is a great kick and good finisher but can look lazy when he doesnt have the footy...

Giles is still playing U18 footy....has some skills but not physcial enough or willing to get some body on other players.

Reply #24
http://northernbluesfc.com.au/news/389-nbfc-news-casey-sting-blues-to-third-straight-loss.html

Casey sting Blues to third straight loss

by Kris Neil

The Northern Blues suffered their third consecutive loss of the season to the Casey Scorpions on Saturday, falling by 16 points at Visy Park.

In torrential conditions, Casey spearhead Timothy Smith’s five first half majors proved to be the difference between the two sides, as the Blues fell 8.7 (55) to 10.11 (71).

The Blues’ recent struggles converting on their forward thrusts surfaced again in the clash, registering scores on only 35 per cent of their 43 forward 50 entries.

Northern’s most promising period came in a 28-point third quarter where the Blues gathered momentum following the main break.

Captain Brent Bransgrove said coach Luke Webster urged his side to focus on “making the most of (their) disposal and locking the ball inside fifty” when addressing the team at half time.

Northern responded to their coaches’ call wrestling back to within eight points heading into the final term.

However, the Scorpions frustrated the Blues in the final stages, throwing numbers around and behind the ball to keep both teams goalless until 27 minutes into the last quarter.

Ruckman Cameron Wood was the one beneficiary of the stop-start play, accumulating a staggering 83 hit-outs on the back of 73 against Coburg last week.

For the visitors, Sam Blease offered his side a trusty barricade on the last line of defence, repelling multiple Blues attacks.

Jordie McKenzie was also stellar in the win, racking up 30 possessions and seven clearances for the Scorpions in the midfield.

For the Blues, Jaryd Cachia continued his fantastic VFL form with 31 disposals (18 contested) and nine clearances in conditions that were designed for the hard nut to thrive in.

Nick Graham and Patrick Cripps (injured in the third quarter) were also first-rate in the Northern midfield, combining for nine clearances and 18 tackles.

Josh Bootsma defended well when called upon, offering constant support for his fellow backmen as a third man up in the marking contests.

Brent Bransgrove – who played his first game of VFL for 2014 – was a catalyst in in the Blues’ second half resurgence, kicking both of his goals on the back of some ferocious forward pressure.

Speaking post-game, the 26-year old said that despite the loss, there were still some big signs of improvement within the group.

“A couple of things didn’t go our way but I thought we had a dig all day, it was disappointing to come up short.

“Watching from the sidelines over the past few weeks I feel like we’ve taken some big steps forward in becoming more of a team.

“We’ll stick together over the next few weeks and continue to work on our structures and game plan.”

The win for the Scorpions marks the third time this season they have secured four points away from home, following wins at Windy Hill and Frankston.

The Blues, who have now sunk to three wins and three losses, will face Essendon at Windy Hill in their next match on Saturday, May 24.

NORTHERN BLUES            2.1      8.5      8.7       8. 7     (55)
CASEY SCORPIONS           3.2      4.3      9.9      10. 11. (71)

GOALS – NORTHERN: Bransgrove 2, Wilson 2, Wood, Cattapan, Temay, Byrne; CASEY: Smith 5, Tapscott 2, Rosier, Michie, Hunt

BEST – NORTHERN: Cachia, Graham, Bransgrove, Bootsma, Anthony, Wood; CASEY: Blease, Smith, McKenzie, Michie, Riley, Barry

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #25

by Kris Neil

Captain Brent Bransgrove said coach Luke Webster urged his side to focus on “making the most of (their) disposal and locking the ball inside fifty” when addressing the team at half time.

If any of the Carlton youngsters had or develop half the intensity or desperation of Captain Box, they will become AFL players.

Reply #26

by Kris Neil

If any of the Carlton youngsters had or develop half the intensity or desperation of Captain Box, they will become AFL players.
Absolutely. You just cannot buy the sort of commitment he offers.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #27
Is there some sort of injection we can give Box to grow a bit then? Essendon might be able to help on that front - anybody got James number?

Operation stretch box coming in 2015.