Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 7077 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #15
Not sure I have Cerra as a star yet, his kicking was horrible vs Brisbane and I think the next two weeks will tell what we have recruited in terms of star quality.
I think his season has been passable but I don't rate him as a match winner just yet.
Melbourne will be a big test and I want to see him on Petracca or Oliver.....

I don’t think you do want to see that. He looks like a player that plays a great supporting role. A player that complements a midfield group to add class. Without Cripps, Hewitt and Kennedy, he would have to lead by example and take on the best opponent. I don’t think he is strong and tough enough to execute that role. I don’t think he has the class to match it with the best yet. Too green still. Needs more years of experience to be at that level. Still has things he needs to learn. That is just my observation. He is a need for us. Not a match winner without support from grunt players around to feed him. Not yet.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #16
For mine Carroll is the pick of this lot.  We've gone from too many to not enough really quickly and this is why Ed curnow goes around again next year for mine.

Sure the calves are in trouble but he is the only name on this list id be relieved to have as a complimentary in.

Not sure how a bloke injured all year can help with midfield depth.

Plenty of c-grade mids you can recruit in the off-season to help with depth. Might even snag a b-grader or 2, or better yet, find a Hewitt who was performing as good as the a-graders.

Reply #17
2022, what a ride. Now, all eyes on 'the now' and this Saturday night's game. But first a humble musing.

When you’re a passionate, committed supporter of the BlueBaggers, as most of us here are, it actually hurts to see the performances of the past two weeks. Especially against the backdrop and promise of an 8-2 start. Not to mention narratives from the club stating goals of earning the competition’s respect, finals and that the second half of the year would be better than the first half. I wasn’t at all surprised with our Crowmuncher or BrisVegas efforts… I just couldn’t see how we’d get something different with the same approach and weakened personnel on the paddock (particularly, to be specific, no Hewett and Kennedy).

Personally, I thought the first stated goal, earning the competition’s respect, after the huge, much needed changes, should have been the single focus; the not-negotiable; the expectation. We’ve a painful history of poor finishes to the season, and this one is no different… at this stage. Over promising then under delivering opens a lot of wounds at our club.

No matter how hard you try, the mistakes of the past will revisit if not thoroughly acknowledged, addressed and acted upon. And last year we certainly did that. No more easy/quick fixes (sweeping under the carpet stuff). Boldness, honesty, thoroughness and commitment to best practice excellence delivered a much better Board, President and CEO. Quality people who understand sustained success, and what is required, now hold the reins.

Reality: Our on-field success, though, is a work-in-progress… we’re building foundations and the coaching group is getting a good look at our list, and themselves.

I’ve no doubt that the hard work of our pre-season, many new, experienced and strong coaching voices injected much needed direction, enthusiasm and passion into our talented group. But it’s made for a longer season than most, though needed.

However, our on-field past still leaves baggage, apparent for all to see in our back half of the season… once a little fatigue from a long season set in – we resorted to type, particularly in our last two games. There are scars from sustained failure being dealt with (above the shoulders stuff) and these scars have retarded leadership and discipline, also plain to see since the bye.

Then… and to compound the issues of baggage, is the inability to establish continuity with the on-field group. Yep, the inordinate injury list.

Then…  the playing list, plenty of talent but a few non-hackers and injury prone folks who couldn’t be relied upon – not their fault, that’s who they are.

Change. Only a perception from the cheap seats, but it hasn’t looked like our blokes are actually engaged/enjoying playing on game day. We must do something for these next two games that engenders enjoyment, challenge and embraces boldness… a bit more freedom? How to move the balance away from chore/fear/minimizing damage/opponent to a united, excited desire and wanting of the challenge; wanting your opponent to bring their best so you can show your ruthlessness, that you’re not to be messed with.

And this boldness also has to include coaches and selection. Bring in Pitto, Kemp, Stocks and Hayes… and give them big jobs and encourage them to grasp responsibility and dare. Challenge them. Show faith in them.

There has been much to love about this year, particularly the development of TDK, Boyd, Kennedy, Motlop, Young, Newman, LOB, Gov as a defender, Cottrell, Charlie’s dynamic return, Doc: an inspirational story, Small Durds, the impact of Hewett and potential CFC B&F form of Saad. But the year aint done and yes, right now, we’re in the sh1tter but I believe we have the people to change that, in style, this Saturday night.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #18
Nicely put Baggers.

Was I the only one cringing every time BigH opened his mouth last night On The Couch ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #19
Nicely put Baggers.

Was I the only one cringing every time BigH opened his mouth last night On The Couch ?
Only because you're the only one who watches on the couch ;)

What was said? I haven't watched that in ages.

Reply #20
Nicely put Baggers.

I just watched it now on YT. I had no issue with his demeanor or what he said. I thought he handled himself quite well tbh.

Reply #21
Harry on On the Couch

Didn't see anything wrong with it personally.

https://www.youtube.com/v/TM7ZaQfdX8A

Reply #22
Nicely put Baggers.

Just watched the H interview on OTC. To be honest, I thought he was excellent. Gave a very intelligent perspective with confidence and comfortable demeanor.

I was particularly buoyed when he spoke of -- regarding the past two weeks and the approach for this week -- dare and freedom, going forward. Music to my lugholes.

From one West Gippy lad to another... well done young fella.

Reply #23
Talk is cheap.   Attack the ball properly and kick a bag over the next two weeks.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #24
Talk is cheap.   Attack the ball properly and kick a bag over the next two weeks.

I’m not even calling for the bag, but geez there was cheap talk aplenty.
I know there’s little of substance the players can say but the talk of what we are building over the past few weeks… Was that the Adelaide or Brizvegas games that we did so well in ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #25
Kick the effin ball properly to him and Charlie and the rest takes care of itself. The delivery to them has been abysmal.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #26
H handles himself very well as always.

Reply #27
there lays our problem kick it to charlie/ harry,opposition teams know this and defend well ,we need to be smarter going forward if we are going to win

Reply #28
there lays our problem kick it to charlie/ harry,opposition teams know this and defend well ,we need to be smarter going forward if we are going to win
They need to kick it out in front of them, no defender can defend Charlie or Harry running at the footy with outstretch arms.
If a smaller loose defender wants to sit in the hole, good luck with that.
I could stop them marking the rubbish they have been getting (ie sitting it in their heads).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
Come what may, this little black duck will be 100% behind the boys this Saturday night. Meet the challenge. You bet I'm optimistic.