Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 22 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 7374 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 22 2022 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #45
Well if there is a time this club needs to dig deep and find something in the bowls of its guts this is it.
Talent thin
Form thin
Fitness thin

But hope flickers and while that flickers there's a path to glory

Reply #46
Well if there is a time this club needs to dig deep and find something in the bowls of its guts this is it.
Talent thin
Form thin
Fitness thin

But hope flickers and while that flickers there's a path to glory

Yep, the spinnaker is hanging limply from the mast, it’s time for those available to look each other in the eye and stand fast.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #47
Baggers, I hope by the time this match starts I will be able to match your enthusiasm,  but at the moment my mind refuses to let go of the memory of those three quarters of putrescent rubbish this side presented to its loyal supporters last week.
in fairness to the boys we've played one quarter of scintillating football all season with 2 that were just non events, and another that was reasonably good.  The difference now is we are getting spanked in our down quarters and our best quarters are a bit meh.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #48
Battle Fatigue   :(

Reply #49
in fairness to the boys we've played one quarter of scintillating football all season with 2 that were just non events, and another that was reasonably good.

The difference now is we are getting spanked in our down quarters and our best quarters are a bit meh.
I can't agree with the first claim, it's just a bit nugatory, we haven't been that bad!

The second claim is almost an affirmation, a declarative statement of fact.

We've certainly lost that ability to control tempo that we had earlier in the season, partly this will be teams examining the Voss tactics in detail and picking apart what works against us and what doesn't. Some of it is due to loss of foot soldiers and the resulting team imbalance.

Perhaps a bigger question remains, are the problem systematic or symptomatic?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
FB Saad Weitering Stocker
HB McGovern Young Marchbank
C O'Brien Docherty Cottrell
HF Silvagni Curnow Fisher
FF Motlop McKay De Koning
R Pittonet Walsh Cerra
Int Owies Martin Durdin Carrol
Med Sub Newnes

Out Dow  Cripps Setterfield

Think this side might still be top heavy, we need speed and spread to stand any chance, one of TDK or PIT may miss. Maybe we play SOS as a mid to run with Oliver.
In Stocker Pittonet Carrol
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #51
Baggers, I hope by the time this match starts I will be able to match your enthusiasm,  but at the moment my mind refuses to let go of the memory of those three quarters of putrescent rubbish this side presented to its loyal supporters last week.

Don't worry, M37, as I watched that tripe we dished up in our past few games, I was shattered, furious and gobsmacked, but, paradoxically, not surprised when it culminated in the BrisVegas farce. Seemed inevitable.

However, H's words during his OTC interview buoyed me. Yes, words are cheap, but there was substance in his words 'dare' and 'freedom'... exactly the things missing from our approach of the previous weeks. Dare and freedom delivered 8 gls in the final qtr against BrisVegas. Perhaps too many layers were added to our game plan too soon? Just too much for a wounded list to adapt (to) and adopt.

This Saturday night has much to do with resilience and boldness. Attack every contest, stick every tackle and get that aggott to our forwards with speed, accuracy and efficiency.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #52
FB Saad Weitering Stocker
HB McGovern Young Marchbank
C O'Brien Docherty Cottrell
HF Silvagni Curnow Fisher
FF Motlop McKay De Koning
R Pittonet Walsh Cerra
Int Owies Martin Durdin Carrol
Med Sub Newnes

Out Dow  Cripps Setterfield

Think this side might still be top heavy, we need speed and spread to stand any chance, one of TDK or PIT may miss. Maybe we play SOS as a mid to run with Oliver.
In Stocker Pittonet Carrol
Reckon Jack would blow up real quick chasing the abominable red head around.
Maybe Setterfield can show supporters he has the goods and tag Oliver..

Reply #53
I remind all that the Hooped veterans beat the Dish lickers without Danger and Duckwood.
 Sometimes your soldiers have to grit their teeth, jump out of the trench and kick arse.
We need to somehow win or break even in the midfield battle.

If we make the Elimination we will have reinforcements.

Having said all that, this  year has been better than we all thought and with some culling of the list we will be better next year.

Need to seriously look at our Fitness/Rehab team. There is something not right there.

Reply #54
As Clubber Lang said about his fight with Rocky, "Pain".

Then he lost. We just need someone to write a similar script...lol.

Reply #55
We got Stocker to play in the midfield. Good as time as any to put him there.

Reply #56
We got Stocker to play in the midfield. Good as time as any to put him there.
Yep. And Kemp. Give the lads a challenge and give the Go Ds something to think about.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #57
In my view the Dees have the two top dominant ruckmen in the AFL at the moment, both are highly mobile, agile and aggressive.

What the rest of the midfield do might have little impact on the outcome, because in the ruck at the moment we are floundering.

We've created a scenario in which TDK cannot use his natural skills, Pitto is struggling for form on his return to footy, and SoJ won't be in the contest this week given who he is up against as the Dees 2nd ruck.

I saw the late game use of Young in last weeks defeat as a pretty blunt concession about the state of our ruck predicament.

TDK is not a tagging / negative ruck option, he needs to be set free and played like Grundy to become an attacking option. He is not nearly as useful dropping behind play to limit the opponents impact.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #58
It's easy to focus on the negatives, but there is a better than even money chance the Dogs get done in one game and / or we win one against the tide. There are many many dominoes that have to stack perfectly in a preferred alignment before our season is scuppered.

If one domino falls, Cripps comes back fresh as a daisy for the finals! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #59
We have in the past made an extra effort when Cripps has not been playing and hopefully we will do that again. However we will be under siege at stoppages and centre clearances so our defence will really be tested. Maybe we need to turn this into a spoil fest, just mainly try and disrupt and feed off whatever may fall our way? Don't think it will be pretty.
Reality always wins in the end.