Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 23447 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #165
I assume that Bolton would have picked Kennedy if he was available. However, the other assumption is that the guru, Andrew Russell has deemed him NQR to be promoted. If we believe that Russell is the fitness real deal, then it makes sense that we support his recommendation.

Well if that is all true TC then fair enough.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #166
I too thought Setterfield did a good job on Rockliff, but I think Setterfield was even better value before we turned him into a tagger.

I have to question our tactics EB1. Why waste Setterfield tagging, a player who wins inside football and distributes it well, yet leave Ed Curnow floundering in the F50 as an ineffective distributer or F50 target?

It didn't make sense to me, have I missed something?

LP...Setterfield has impressed me too, bit of a quiet achiever, no frills type who gets the job done, agree I wouldnt waste him on tagging and would have him as the rotation for Cripps when he goes off the ball so we can use Cripps forward more to win games. Floundering is a good word for Ed, its not his fault in many ways as he isnt the creative slick ball user type and apart from retaining the ball in the forward 50 he doesnt add much in terms of delivery or forward nous. Ed's forte is tagging but he had some bad games last season where he got towelled up and its almost like we are having to find a spot for him each week because he is a senior role model type player.
Then we have Kennedy on the comeback trail, probably a bit smoother player than Ed who deserves a chance to cement a spot if he can stay on the park....Is Ed playing down forward part of a good game plan for the future or another bandaid on the fly fix??...think we need to progress and pick the players who are going to take us forward and not keep us in a holding pattern.

Reply #167
History suggests we'll wait until his VFL form bottoms out then give him a trial run against Collingwood! :o

Yep...Probably get injured this week in some innocuous fashion wasting his time in the NB's.....

Reply #168
If we're backing the fitness guy in then I hope like hell that Marchbank gets through the game unscathed....if we're talking about "history suggesting", then it's almost a lock that he'll be injured again within a fortnight. From memory Marchbank hasn't played any pre-season or VFL practice matches? For a bloke who's missed a lot of footy in his time at Carlton it's a big call to bring him straight back in.

Reply #169
If we're backing the fitness guy in then I hope like hell that Marchbank gets through the game unscathed....if we're talking about "history suggesting", then it's almost a lock that he'll be injured again within a fortnight. From memory Marchbank hasn't played any pre-season or VFL practice matches? For a bloke who's missed a lot of footy in his time at Carlton it's a big call to bring him straight back in.
They must rate Marchy extremely important (vital in fact) to our set up/structure to name him straight in. I still think he wont line up in the 1s personally. Good luck to him if he does, he's gonna need it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #170
Philips out and Lobbe in.....

Reply #171
Phillips has no luck with injuries  ::)

Lobbe played a great game in NBs last week and should bring that form into this game.  I think that he will be a tougher opponent for Sinclair.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #172
Phillips can't play three games in a row.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #173
Phillips can't play three games in a row.

Phillips or any ruck cannot be expected to play week in and week out with such pissweak support options.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #174
What's his issue anyway?

Reply #176
Why we struggle.

Summed up in one contest. 

Aerial ball.  Casboult crashes into mills, and comes off second best.

Any other team would leave mills dead fairly.

Instead we play nice guys trying to not hurt anyone.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #177
Casboult..the least physical big man I've seen since Warnock,  who was inspid.