Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 23465 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #30
........... let Phillips have a genuine reliever.

Then why select Casboult?

It was interesting Saturday night, McKay and McGovern subjectively functioned better after Charlie left the field.

It looks to me like 3 into 2 doesn't go and McKay is not much ruck value, Levi is not much better, while Lobbe was listed by some as BoG at weekends practice match against some reasonable opposition.

We can't concede the stoppages and expect Cripps to keep mopping up the pieces, we will break Cripps and when he fails we will get smashed. We have to offer some resistance in the potential absence of Cripps or we are a club lost! Running a solo ruck with Cripps give us competitiveness only 75% of the time, and that is reflected in our results.

When you see a team like the Dawks running two rucks in McEvoy and Ceglar it's a tell. ;)

I suspect we'll keep running with McKay and a ruck because we need game time into McKay. But under the 666 rule it's robbing Peter to pay Paul when you take your main KPF marking target and put them in the midfield. Even if they help win the clearances it's obviously a faulty strategy as they can't be in two places at once, off the back of a winning clearance you don't want your main KPF languishing behind play!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #31
Then why select Casboult?

It was interesting Saturday night, McKay and McGovern subjectively functioned better after Charlie left the field.

It looks to me like 3 into 2 doesn't go and McKay is not much ruck value, Levi is not much better, while Lobbe was listed by some as BoG at weekends practice match against some reasonable opposition.

We can't concede the stoppages and expect Cripps to keep mopping up the pieces, we will break Cripps and when he fails we will get smashed. We have to offer some resistance in the potential absence of Cripps or we are a club lost! Running a solo ruck with Cripps give us competitiveness only 75% of the time, and that is reflected in our results.

When you see a team like the Dawks running two rucks in McEvoy and Ceglar it's a tell. ;)

I suspect we'll keep running with McKay and a ruck because we need game time into McKay. But under the 666 rule it's robbing Peter to pay Paul when you take your main KPF marking target and put them in the midfield. Even if they help win the clearances it's obviously a faulty strategy as they can't be in two places at once, off the back of a winning clearance you don't want your main KPF languishing behind play!

I thought the same thing. With Charlie's elite running ability and superior marking instincts you'd think he'd be much better on the ball... replace Murphy, who would be a much better small forward than on-baller at this stage of his career. Hopefully Kennedy comes in for Charlie making us less 'top heavy'.

Although I agree with your two ruckman combo scenario, I just don't know who you drop to bring in Lobbe (or Kreuzer in 2028 when he's injury free!!!).

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #32
I thought the same thing. With Charlie's elite running ability and superior marking instincts you'd think he'd be much better on the ball... replace Murphy, who would be a much better small forward than on-baller at this stage of his career. Hopefully Kennedy comes in for Charlie making us less 'top heavy'.

Although I agree with your two ruckman combo scenario, I just don't know who you drop to bring in Lobbe (or Kreuzer in 2028 when he's injury free!!!).

To me Baggers it's not just about dealing with losing the ruck, it's about having 2 out of 3 KPFs as beginners who need to spend as much time learning the F50 game as possible. If they are not cutting the mustard as KPFs at AFL level, then surely they are better off playing fulltime KPF in the NBs until we think they are worth another go at AFL!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #33
Fasolo and Curnow out.  Kennedy and JSOS in.

1.  Murphy out of the midfield and into F50.
2.  Ed out of the forward half and tasked with locking down Nick Parker.
3.  Kennedy tasked with running against his namesake. 
4.  Ruck Jones as relief for Phillips.  Weiters to slide onto Buddy if required.  Defence is a team effort anyways.

If Ed and Matt break even, we win.

4.  Put the acid on Garlett - just pick up the pill and stop being scared or F off.
5.  Swans don't play tall but they play physical.  I think another utility-type option such as JSOS might give us more flexibility against the Swannies' fleet of mid sized, hard bodied players, as opposed to a taller, less mobile type.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #34
Fasolo and Curnow out.  Kennedy and JSOS in.

1.  Murphy out of the midfield and into F50.
2.  Ed out of the forward half and tasked with locking down Nick Parker.
3.  Kennedy tasked with running against his namesake. 
4.  Ruck Jones as relief for Phillips.  Weiters to slide onto Buddy if required.  Defence is a team effort anyways.

If Ed and Matt break even, we win.

4.  Put the acid on Garlett - just pick up the pill and stop being scared or F off.
5.  Swans don't play tall but they play physical.  I think another utility-type option such as JSOS might give us more flexibility against the Swannies' fleet of mid sized, hard bodied players, as opposed to a taller, less mobile type.

Like it.

Our 3 talls forward line together with inadequate small crumbing forwards severely hamstrings our ability to score. Murphy has shown time and time again that he is dangerous as a small crumbing forward.

I really want to see Fas work as a small forward for us but agree he needs to regain dangerous form in the Magoos.

I recall BB saying we only play 'in form' blokes... talk with forked tongue!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #35
Murphy out of the midfield and into F50.
Not sure he'll play this week, that hit might have taken a bit more out of him than first indicated.

Ruck Jones as relief for Phillips.  Weiters to slide onto Buddy if required.  Defence is a team effort anyways.
Just don't get why our AFL side hasn't tried this, Fraser was a decent ruck and he rucked Jones in the VFL with great effect. Jones 2nd efforts were extraordinary, almost Kreuzer like and something completely absent from the games of McKay and Levi.

Put the acid on Garlett - just pick up the pill and stop being scared or F off.
Not much more to be said, you have to accept some physical pain at AFL level, either in handing it out or taking it, if you don't you'll be a liability. BB even openly admits this when he states get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Swans don't play tall but they play physical.  I think another utility-type option such as JSOS might give us more flexibility against the Swannies' fleet of mid sized, hard bodied players, as opposed to a taller, less mobile type.
They'll do their best to beat up on Cripps, Fisher and Setterfield. I thought after Port got done with him Fisher looked a little timid late in the game last weekend. Things won't be easier against the Swans unless we can get him into free space. Swans aren't fast so the answer may be to get Ed in their and make it a contest.

It's a pity Dow isn't a better ball user, it leaves him best used inside but he is a bit small and light still. If Dow was a better ball user we could use his pace outside in trio with Fisher and Walsh.

On Weiters, I'd let Buddy drag him up the field, he can hang back so we can then use Weiters as the avenue to goal because he's our best ball user by some margin. We want it in his hands heading inside F50. Let Buddy get all the footy he wants but up on the half back flank.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #36
Fisher was poor against Port,  no impact.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #37

Agree - very low key. I hope he can bounce back this week but his opposition will be tough.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #38

Tagged..I saw Powell Pepper standing him at some stoppages....bit of Robbo about PP, smartar$e attitude too....has a melon you would like to whack.
Seen Port do this a bit with PP, they play him on smaller player for intimidation, like I said he needs dealing with.

Reply #39
Not sure he'll play this week, that hit might have taken a bit more out of him than first indicated.
Just don't get why our AFL side hasn't tried this, Fraser was a decent ruck and he rucked Jones in the VFL with great effect. Jones 2nd efforts were extraordinary, almost Kreuzer like and something completely absent from the games of McKay and Levi.
Not much more to be said, you have to accept some physical pain at AFL level, either in handing it out or taking it, if you don't you'll be a liability. BB even openly admits this when he states get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
They'll do their best to beat up on Cripps, Fisher and Setterfield. I thought after Port got done with him Fisher looked a little timid late in the game last weekend. Things won't be easier against the Swans unless we can get him into free space. Swans aren't fast so the answer may be to get Ed in their and make it a contest.

It's a pity Dow isn't a better ball user, it leaves him best used inside but he is a bit small and light still. If Dow was a better ball user we could use his pace outside in trio with Fisher and Walsh.

On Weiters, I'd let Buddy drag him up the field, he can hang back so we can then use Weiters as the avenue to goal because he's our best ball user by some margin. We want it in his hands heading inside F50. Let Buddy get all the footy he wants but up on the half back flank.

re: Dow...ball use improving by foot and he is learning to handball more rather than try and break away from packs everytime with his pace, I thought he played well against a Port midfield that was on top. IMO he is learning to do the basics better/play the percentages and not trying to be the tearaway flashy player he was at U18 level where he did a lot of highlight reel stuff but could also turn the ball over, good player to watch and someone is coaching him well IMHO.

re: Buddy...has to be Jones, we have asked JW to build himself up physically to handle bigger players but he wont have the pace to go with Buddy, rather see JW play on Reid/Sinclair etc.
Jones need to take Buddy and see it as a challenge like SOS did when Plugger kicked ten on him...Jones has the mobility and size to go with Buddy just needs to learn and think about how to play him better.

Reply #40
re: Dow...ball use improving by foot and he is learning to handball more rather than try and break away from packs every time with his pace, I thought he played well against a Port midfield that was on top. IMO he is learning to do the basics better/play the percentages and not trying to be the tearaway flashy player he was at U18 level where he did a lot of highlight reel stuff but could also turn the ball over, good player to watch and someone is coaching him well IMHO.

+1. Also a fan of Dow.

Reply #41
Me too, Dow is going nicely I reckon. With respect to rucking Jones as relief for Phillips, I like the idea, and we could send McGovern to defense while Jones is rucking, he can play competent defense, and it might even open up some space for Harry to run into?

Reply #42
Kreuzer ruled out again for this week but club saying Marchbank could be available. But geez, would you risk playing him straight up with no pre-season or VFL games under his belt? I'd still rather play Lobbe and Phillips and leave Mckay as a permanent forward.

Reply #43
I can't see us playing Lobbe and Phillips in the same side, especially against Sydney who use Reid as their second ruck. Neither Lobbe nor Phillips give anything when not rucking

Reply #44
Then play Levi....he can take a mark and kick a goal. For mine, McKay just gets pushed aside too easily in round the ground ball ups and throw ins.