Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 35293 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #30
Liam Jones take a bow!!  The perpetual whinger only got 2 and one was a gift. He’s coming of age, and with Weitering more composed, those 2 places are looking far more settled.

Reply #31
Let’s hope nobody is falling further in love this week

Just dont work hard enough on the spread, too fumbly at key moments and don’t take our chances - we’re just not as professional as Sydney.

Carried Gibbons, Polson  today

Setterfield isn’t giving Cripps a chop out. Kennedy May be better.

Too many mistakes/execution errors from Dow, McKay, Simpson and to a lesser extent Thomas

Plowman, Newman nothing games

E Curnow Jekyll and Hyde

Desperate for speed of Cunningham, Pickett, Docherty, Williamson. Even Lang

Reply #33
Unfortunately warriors come to an end, and for Simmo it’s as far away as Williamson’s return.

Reply #34
Sinclair was very good as well today, really was the dominant big man and we had nobody who could get over him. That makes a big difference in the new format.

The stats were quite similar, but the Swans had a lot more handballs, that run and carry and linking needs trust and confidence, I don't know we have that in our team yet.

Reply #35
It's frustrating for all of us, but it's a stepping stone and a hell of a lot better than floggings.

We've been pushing good sides hard for a few years. We don't win though. This is a game that should be won at home given the side we have now.

Going to do my best Terry Wallace impersonation. If anyone says "Honorable loss" i'll spew up!!!

Reply #36
Bolton should be sacked.
He doesn’t have a working game plan and is consistently out coached by the opposition.
His tactics don’t work - every week we watch as the opppsition just run through the zone, but he doesn’t switch defensive structure. He has drilled us to play along the boundary to reduce the risk of a turnover, but we just kick long to nobody and the opposition pick it off far too easily. He isn’t getting us to run and carry through the middle - at least not enough. When we did it in the first quarter we were competitive.
Too many players look lost on the ground and any lack passion.

Bolton got flogged. Had maybe 2 errant disposals all day....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
It’s telling to me that the ‘positives’ we identify are almost always about individual players - not about the way we play as a team. I suspect Sydney talk way more about the latter.

Reply #38
Liam Jones take a bow!!  The perpetual whinger only got 2 and one was a gift. He’s coming of age, and with Weitering more composed, those 2 places are looking far more settled.
Agree, its a tough gug playing against Buddy and his posse of green magots. Has there ever been a bigger whinging kent to play the game?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #39
We've been pushing good sides hard for a few years. We don't win though. This is a game that should be won at home given the side we have now.

Going to do my best Terry Wallace impersonation. If anyone says "Honorable loss" i'll spew up!!!

The only thing we were pushing last season was the proverbial up hill. I agree winning is a mindset, a habit and a skill. But we're getting closer, and for now, that will have to do. No amount of whinging and whining and scapegoating will change that.

Reply #40
Agree.

I'd like to have your optimism at present, and believe I am by nature a very optimistic person -- put my money where my mouth is and upgraded my upgrade membership, such was the hope.

What worries me deeply, PP, which I've said elsewhere, is that it is now an ingrained habit (losing) at our club. Breaking through that will require something dramatic (and breaking through means winning games against good sides in good form apply good pressure). Yes, we might win a game or two and feel terrific but the bottom line is that when we meet any reasonable side (or better) that applies pressure we fold... or in modern speak, we go to our default position - chasing clacker. We give up.

The BB message, for whatever reason, is not getting through. How long do we want more of the same? Rest of the year? This year and next?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #41
It’s telling to me that the ‘positives’ we identify are almost always about individual players - not about the way we play as a team. I suspect Sydney talk way more about the latter.

Yes, I agree. This is where we have to get to IMHO.

Reply #42
Heeney aside, their best players consistently are still Parker, Kennedy, Rampe and McVeigh. It's the wise heads at key times that steady. When you compare them to Murphy, Thomas, Ed Curnow and Simpson, then there is a stark contrast.

Mills, Heeney and Jones are their next rung, but they play that system well, players know where to run and what to do, no matter who they bring in. Buddy brings the cream, but the others get the job done.

This is a good summary spf.

I'd add, Swans ability to possess the ball and adapt the tempo to advantage,  and it's a done deal.
The cream on top for mine is, despite maintaining possession,  the Swans also dominated in tackling and defensive pressure.

We haven't got the small forward role working just yet. We also lack speed out of defense and between the arcs.

That all said, our talented youngsters blundered (as did a limited older tall) a couple of sitters early. Had this gone the other way, the momentum and psychological attack may have seen a different outcome. Small errors with big impact = small improvement results in getting over the line. Not the end of the world imo, but clear areas to improve and instruction to our scouts.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #43
looking at the stats, simply too many passengers again....

Dow, Polson, Gibbons, Setters, LoB - simply not enough.

I will be furious if Kennedy is not injured? He should have played.

Did the Gov get injured?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #44
I'd like to have your optimism at present, and believe I am by nature a very optimistic person -- put my money where my mouth is and upgraded my upgrade membership, such was the hope.

What worries me deeply, PP, which I've said elsewhere, is that it is now an ingrained habit (losing) at our club. Breaking through that will require something dramatic (and breaking through means winning games against good sides in good form apply good pressure). Yes, we might win a game or two and feel terrific but the bottom line is that when we meet any reasonable side (or better) that applies pressure we fold... or in modern speak, we go to our default position - chasing clacker. We give up.

The BB message, for whatever reason, is not getting through. How long do we want more of the same? Rest of the year? This year and next?

I like Bolton, and I want him to succeed, but unlike the love of my life Ratten, I have no allegiance to Bolton one way or the other. I simply don't believe after all our recent experiences, that sacking the coach will solve anything.