Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 36001 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Parlay: AFL 2019 Rd 3: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #60
It'll help alot. He is getting nothing out of a side that he should be. 3 wins in 35 games, Suggest it just keeps going the way it is?

If we get beaten by the Gold Coast next week he can roll himself out the door. Side is better than that.

We have won the last two against the Gold Coast in Qld.

We've had about 4 different sides in the last few seasons. Additionally, what rating system you're using ? Amount of No1 picks, "potential" ? Our team is very unproven and raw, and any claims that we have a great side must be verifiable.

Reply #61
Didn't help losing Phillips per game but as relief ruck Casboult showed he's not up to either role. Once again,  our rucks were dead set flogged.   Opposition rucks look at us and think '3 votes! "  Kerr should be the preferred relief ruck/forward.  Casboult is a state league player only.

Not the only part of the side that's non-functional, but our forwards were rank today.   Didn't run to create space/options for the ball carrier,  didn't hold marks,  kicked poorly for goal and the smaller blokes were putrid - zero pressure on the half backs exiting D50.  I'm looking at you Poison and Gibbons in particular.

People were very divided on the value of state league players and Gibbons is not setting a positive case ATM. He talked about wanting it bad.  Well you're here now,  time to show it.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #62
Well out of the next four we can probably win three. I think the Doggies contested ball game will be tough, but the Suns, Hawks and North are gettable.

Reply #63
Well out of the next four we can probably win three. I think the Doggies contested ball game will be tough, but the Suns, Hawks and North are gettable.

Hate to say it, but the Fluffy Ducks were very gettable today. And we blew it. In fact the Tiggers were gettable too, and we blew that.

I know it sounds really negative and defeatist on my part to say these things, but they're the cold, hard facts. I really believe our blokes are better than they're showing at present.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #64
I agree, but who gets the gig if Bolton goes?
Can’t see any of the assistant coaches doing much better.
We need a coaching turnover at the end of the year.

David Teague. You remember the brilliant work with the Northern Bullants where he turned an average side into dual Grand Finalists. He was very thorough and well respected. He is the one and only reason Mitch McGovern came to Carlton.

Probably said the same thing in Pagan's days. His assistant was Ratten. He got the job and did well.

Reply #65
Didn't help losing Phillips per game but as relief ruck Casboult showed he's not up to either role. Once again,  our rucks were dead set flogged.   Opposition rucks look at us and think '3 votes! "  Kerr should be the preferred relief ruck/forward.  Casboult is a state league player only.

Not the only part of the side that's non-functional, but our forwards were rank today.   Didn't run to create space/options for the ball carrier,  didn't hold marks,  kicked poorly for goal and the smaller blokes were putrid - zero pressure on the half backs exiting D50.  I'm looking at you Poison and Gibbons in particular.

People were very divided on the value of state league players and Gibbons is not setting a positive case ATM. He talked about wanting it bad.  Well you're here now,  time to show it.

Thought Casboult was good today and a mile from our worst and at least he has some intensity at the ball, crashes packs and works hard up and down the ground.

Gibbons and Polson on the other hand …….

Reply #66

That first part we won the centre clearances 16-11 and the overall clearances 44-37.

Reply #67
Just had a big laugh... looked at the AFL website and the headline for our game is:

'Swans Edge Brave Blues...' and there you have it. We are the honourable loss kings... soon to be crowned at an official function at Princes Park... the home of honourable losses.

Reply #68

I'm a a fan of state leaguers but happy to admit that Gibbons needs a spell in the NB's but I would also point out he is a midfielder by trade and we are trying to play him in a different role and that
isnt working for a variety of reasons.

Reply #69
David Teague. You remember the brilliant work with the Northern Bullants where he turned an average side into dual Grand Finalists. He was very thorough and well respected. He is the one and only reason Mitch McGovern came to Carlton.

Probably said the same thing in Pagan's days. His assistant was Ratten. He got the job and did well.

Yep.

Reply #70
Yep.

presumably our board would be reminding BB what the pass mark is this year - suspect we expect 6-7 wins with clear evidence of progress.

BB will need to start adjusting the old MM formula of booting it down the line b/c we'll struggle to register a win with that game plan.

Reply #71
I'm a a fan of state leaguers but happy to admit that Gibbons needs a spell in the NB's but I would also point out he is a midfielder by trade and we are trying to play him in a different role and that
isnt working for a variety of reasons.
The problem is that we don’t have a good enough player development system that makes afl players out of vfl players. The vfl success stories mostly happen at clubs that are already successful and produce good players. We do not.

Reply #72
And this from the Hun:
Patrick Dangerfield had one piece of advice regarding the new 6-6-6 rule at this year’s AFL Players’ Association season launch.

“Put money on ‘Crippa’ for the Brownlow,” Dangerfield said.

It might’ve been a hot tip. After Round 3 Cripps might well have polled in three losing teams with Saturday’s performance in a 19-point loss to Sydney his finest.

Rarely has a football team been built so exclusively around one player. Cripps isn’t just the heartbeat at Carlton, he’s the entire aorta and the lungs as well.

The problem for Cripps is that’s where the superstar talent ends. He was helpless to stop Sydney squashing a wasteful Carlton at Marvel Stadium.

Cripps won eight of his 13 clearances bursting out of the centre. The next best was third-gamer Sam Walsh with three centre clearances.

Cripps laid eight tackles, three more than every other teammate. Boy, how he must yearn for some midfield mates.

Yeah, Cripps and daylight really. Walsh is showing a bit, but we still lack that support. Setterfield it should be remembered is playing his 4th game.

Reply #73
presumably our board would be reminding BB what the pass mark is this year - suspect we expect 6-7 wins with clear evidence of progress.

BB will need to start adjusting the old MM formula of booting it down the line b/c we'll struggle to register a win with that game plan.

None so far, which is especially disappointing considering we're putting a better side on the paddock than this time last year, or the year before... etc.

Reply #74
That sounds like a normal day at the office for Cripps. How very fortunate we are to have him.